Employer changing salary and hours with little notice

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi, What feels like a stupid question regarding changes in hours and salary by an employer.

After working a company for over 12 months, with a set pattern of hours and salary for the last 3, an employer has announced a change in hours and salary.
They are trying to add two working days to the employees month and reduce the monthly salary by approximately 40%.

My question, can they do either of these things i.e. increase working hours and or basically reduce the hourly rate?

Thanks.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hi, What feels like a stupid question regarding changes in hours and salary by an employer.

After working a company for over 12 months, with a set pattern of hours and salary for the last 3, an employer has announced a change in hours and salary.
They are trying to add two working days to the employees month and reduce the monthly salary by approximately 40%.

My question, can they do either of these things i.e. increase working hours and or basically reduce the hourly rate?

Thanks.

No, they can not change your salary, if you will work less they must keep your salary, if they hire you work in a department and they want to move you to another department they most keep your actual salary, never reduce it.

About the working hrs, regular hrs are 44 hrs a week, no matter how you work those hrs, normal shift is 5 days 8 hrs and half day of saturday, is up to the amployee to manage how they want to work those 44 hrs, where I work my department shift is 4 days 9 hrs and 1 day 8 hrs, Saturday and sunday off.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
If they want to reconstruct your schedule, they need to liquidate you and rehire you as a new employee with the new set schedule.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks all. I took a trip down the offices of Trabajo for advice as well, they were very clear (I felt like I was told off ;-) ) that it could not be changed in this way.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Thanks.

Sounds like a case for consultation with the local labor office. This will not be acceptable under the labor laws of the DR.