Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Driving license holder - getting a Dominican License

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question British Driving license holder - getting a Dominican License

Hi,
    I am sure I have seen the answer here before but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know the process for getting a Dominican Driving license for a British license holder?

I seem to remember you get a 'legal copy' from the embassy in Santo Domingo, then just go to an office in SD or can you do that part elsewhere?

Thanks

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRDreamer72 View Post
    Hi,
    I am sure I have seen the answer here before but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know the process for getting a Dominican Driving license for a British license holder?

I seem to remember you get a 'legal copy' from the embassy in Santo Domingo, then just go to an office in SD or can you do that part elsewhere?

Thanks
    I held a UK driving license but decided the best course was to take the DR test in Santo Domingo. If you have a cedular then the process is straight forward. The computer screen test can be a bit tricky but the practical is a piece of cake. Just stop at the 🛑 sign. Good luck

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

you need residency & a cedula before considering the DR license....
    not available to non-residents

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get your driving licensed legalized by the British Embassy in Santo Domingo:
    Make a certified copy of a document
    This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports, Home Office registration/naturalisation certificates, UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website, British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required) and British divorce decrees.

What you will need to bring with you:

the document that you need a certified copy of
    the correct fee – see the list of fees
    proof of identity/address

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial...nican-republic

Then you take that to Intrant with a few other bits and pieces, have a vision test, walk out with Dominican license. All instructions here

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/ser...a-a-dominicana

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

5. Likes DRDreamer72 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided it was easier to take the test rather than jump through the hoops at the British Embassy. But then I live on the North Coast.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been asked by a resident Brit to post this - to avoid confusion
    ===========================================

At the end of 2014 when I got my first Dr license, I rang the Embassy and they said they had stopped validating UK licenses and from the Foreign Office website they are still stating just that. Unless things have changed recently Americans we Brits need to get fully tested with provisional license first.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...nican-republic

I am not sure you will want to suggest she is incorrect but it may be worth posting the link which clarifies that the UK embassy can no longer validate the legality of ones UK license as presented in Santo Domingo. But they do provide a notorial service as indicated in the link Matilda posted. Big difference.

Driving licenses and driving in the Dominican Republic

A UK or International driving license is valid to drive in the DR for three months. After three months, a Dominican driving license is required. It can be requested to the “Oficina de Tránsito Terrestre”, Ministry of Public Works & Communications. (See contact details below)

Contact details for the OTT

In Santo Domingo:

Ministry of Public Works Ave. Tiradentes with Avenida San Cristobal Tel. 809 565 2811

In Puerto Plata:

Calle Hermanas Mirabal Tel. 809 244 4084

The Embassy cannot certify that your British license is valid.

To clarify the 90 day rule ,mentioned , it only applies to persons legally in the country with a valid visa or residency and not overstayers.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The link and the words are posted were from today. Nothing said on the site that they cannot do it any more. There is even a page where you can make an online appointment for the service https://www.consular-appointments.se...t/slot_picker/ I am aware that notarial services are not the same as legalising a driving license but driving licenses are specifically mentioned as being included in the legalisation service. Any doubts, call the embassy and ask.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Is legalizing it and validating it the same thing....?

Only one way to find out...
    Send our poster to the Embassy and then on to the drivers’ license people....
    And report back

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Already in the process of asking the Embassy, will report back when I know the answer.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRDreamer72 View Post
    Already in the process of asking the Embassy, will report back when I know the answer.
    You already have residency and a cedula?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast