British Driving license holder - getting a Dominican License

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi,
I am sure I have seen the answer here before but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know the process for getting a Dominican Driving license for a British license holder?

I seem to remember you get a 'legal copy' from the embassy in Santo Domingo, then just go to an office in SD or can you do that part elsewhere?

Thanks

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi,
I am sure I have seen the answer here before but can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know the process for getting a Dominican Driving license for a British license holder?

I seem to remember you get a 'legal copy' from the embassy in Santo Domingo, then just go to an office in SD or can you do that part elsewhere?

Thanks

I held a UK driving license but decided the best course was to take the DR test in Santo Domingo. If you have a cedular then the process is straight forward. The computer screen test can be a bit tricky but the practical is a piece of cake. Just stop at the 🛑 sign. Good luck

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can get your driving licensed legalized by the British Embassy in Santo Domingo:
Make a certified copy of a document
This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports, Home Office registration/naturalisation certificates, UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website, British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required) and British divorce decrees.

What you will need to bring with you:

the document that you need a certified copy of
the correct fee – see the list of fees
proof of identity/address

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-the-dominican-republic

Then you take that to Intrant with a few other bits and pieces, have a vision test, walk out with Dominican license. All instructions here

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/se...-licencia-de-conducir-extranjera-a-dominicana

Matilda

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I decided it was easier to take the test rather than jump through the hoops at the British Embassy. But then I live on the North Coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been asked by a resident Brit to post this - to avoid confusion
===========================================

At the end of 2014 when I got my first Dr license, I rang the Embassy and they said they had stopped validating UK licenses and from the Foreign Office website they are still stating just that. Unless things have changed recently Americans we Brits need to get fully tested with provisional license first.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-the-dominican-republic

I am not sure you will want to suggest she is incorrect but it may be worth posting the link which clarifies that the UK embassy can no longer validate the legality of ones UK license as presented in Santo Domingo. But they do provide a notorial service as indicated in the link Matilda posted. Big difference.

Driving licenses and driving in the Dominican Republic

A UK or International driving license is valid to drive in the DR for three months. After three months, a Dominican driving license is required. It can be requested to the “Oficina de Tránsito Terrestre”, Ministry of Public Works & Communications. (See contact details below)

Contact details for the OTT

In Santo Domingo:

Ministry of Public Works Ave. Tiradentes with Avenida San Cristobal Tel. 809 565 2811

In Puerto Plata:

Calle Hermanas Mirabal Tel. 809 244 4084

The Embassy cannot certify that your British license is valid.

To clarify the 90 day rule ,mentioned , it only applies to persons legally in the country with a valid visa or residency and not overstayers.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The link and the words are posted were from today. Nothing said on the site that they cannot do it any more. There is even a page where you can make an online appointment for the service https://www.consular-appointments.s...g-a-certified-copy-of-a-document/slot_picker/ I am aware that notarial services are not the same as legalising a driving license but driving licenses are specifically mentioned as being included in the legalisation service. Any doubts, call the embassy and ask.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is legalizing it and validating it the same thing....?

Only one way to find out...
Send our poster to the Embassy and then on to the drivers’ license people....
And report back

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
OK, confirmation today. The license first has to be validated in the UK, then it goes to the British Embassy for them to do their bit, then I can go get my license.

Cheers All :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Forget the UK license.... just go - apply- take the test - and walk away

What if they confiscate your UK license?
Don't risk it

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This will be deleted as off topic ---but

In Canada and the US - you surrender your license in the trans-country process
You forfeit your original to get your new one

No retrieval possible

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This will be deleted as off topic ---but

In Canada and the US - you surrender your license in the trans-country process
You forfeit your original to get your new one

No retrieval possible

I didn't in the DR. Even if you do, just get a replacement.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It may not happen here...

But in countries with reciprocal agreements.... it is officially cancelled in the country you're trading from.

Still. I see little to no advantage jumping through hoops to get the RD license.
It might avoid the road test -- might

Just go and take the test....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Road test? I know Dominicans that got a license before they even learned to drive.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It may not happen here...

But in countries with reciprocal agreements.... it is officially cancelled in the country you're trading from.

Still. I see little to no advantage jumping through hoops to get the RD license.
It might avoid the road test -- might

Just go and take the test....

I think you need a local cedular to take the driving test. Never heard of anyone getting one with a passport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You must have a Cedula. You can be a citizen or a resident, as long as you have a Cedula you can get a DR License.