Wow! DR just advertised on CNN.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Just now saw a new ad on CNN’s “New Day” (6am-9am program). Promoting the North Coast as a tourist designation. Visually well done. And it specifically focused on Cabarete and (drum roll please) Sosua!

I’m going to watch for it again and pay closer attention. Maybe try and record it.

First time I’ve ever seen an ad for the north coast on US TV. ??????

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sooner or later they're going to reach a point of diminishing returns in PC. If they want tourism to continue to grow, the need to come up with other venues besides PC.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sooner or later they're going to reach a point of diminishing returns in PC. If they want tourism to continue to grow, the need to come up with other venues besides PC.

Yeah and the seaweed is still destroying the beach pleasure

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I can finally smell the days where I won't have to correct everyone (incl. Dom) that I am traveling to Punta Cana.

In the same breath, they should hire a PR team for other issues.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I can finally smell the days where I won't have to correct everyone (incl. Dom) that I am traveling to Punta Cana.

So true, a friend of mine just told Wamos air in a comment that Isla Saona is not in Punta Cana, they shared a pic of the island and said was Punta Cana.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

I agree. I know a few folks who cannot name the capital, but know Punta Cana. They are amazed that I never visited there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree. I know a few folks who cannot name the capital, but know Punta Cana. They are amazed that I never visited there.

well, the DR is a relative newcomer to the international recognition scene. remember that tourism really only took off in 1970, and, before that , more Dominicans travelled abroad than foreigners came to the DR. i just read a posting this week where a DR1 member said that he got some kind of enticement from a tour company to go to the DR in 1998, and, before that, he had never heard of the country.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
i just read a posting this week where a DR1 member said that he got some kind of enticement from a tour company to go to the DR in 1998, and, before that, he had never heard of the country.

This is true for us too. We had never heard of DR until around 2005 when , at the time , a travel agent mentioned SD as an alternative to Jamaica .. Visited SD in 2006 , hated it and vowed never to come back ..but the next flight out of DR to LGW was from PUJ...so had to stay 2 nights in Punta Cana...thought Punta Cana was much better than SD...with excellent flights to and from home via Antigua . The rest , as they say , is history......10 years and counting...

Nowadays , you will see a lot of promotions for travel to DR in Orlando , Miami and even in Brazil. I can remember seeing an advert showing Blue Mall in Punta Cana somewhere in São Paulo.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This is true for us too. We had never heard of DR until around 2005 when , at the time , a travel agent mentioned SD as an alternative to Jamaica .. Visited SD in 2006 , hated it and vowed never to come back ..but the next flight out of DR to LGW was from PUJ...so had to stay 2 nights in Punta Cana...thought Punta Cana was much better than SD...with excellent flights to and from home via Antigua . The rest , as they say , is history......10 years and counting...

Nowadays , you will see a lot of promotions for travel to DR in Orlando , Miami and even in Brazil. I can remember seeing an advert showing Blue Mall in Punta Cana somewhere in São Paulo.

Well time is changing, before the goverment only know how to sell beaches, Mexican teach MITUR that there are bounch of people that want to see something more than nice beaches, when goverment decided to go over Mexican market went to Mexico city to show the amazing beach of Punta Cana but was a fail only 7,000 Mexican visited the country in the 2014, then they decided in the next year promote Santo Domingo, Culture, Gastronomy and say is also close to the nice beaches then came 14,000 Mexicans.

In March 2016 started the Aeromexico flights to Santo Domingo with 4 weekly flights in a 99 seats airplane, after 3 months increased to 5 weekly flights, in a year was daily flights, by the 2nd. year changed to 124 seats airplane. Because of that goverment finally understood that they most sell whole country not only sell the Republic of Punta Cana. Recently Aeromexico started new seasonal winter flights to Punta Cana from Nov until Mar, and Aeromexico executives said that they hope their clients arrive in Santo Domingo and return from Punta Cana and soon become the Punta Cana flight a year round flights.

The Canadian airline Airtransat this year has created new packages with 5 days in Juan Dolio beach and 2 nights in Santo Domingo with Hodelpa, that option is only avilable in their winter flights to Santo Domingo from Toronto and Montreal, the rest of the hotels are now starting to work with tour agents to create similar packages.

So now more people will start to know that we do not have only beaches, that they have more options to pickup. Few weeks ago I went to Santo Domingo to spend time with old Dominican friend that is living in NY, we met a french guy living in Dubai was staying in same hotel where my friend was, we started to talk with him and he told us that he was in Punta Cana for 4 days, the beaches are really nice but beaches are all the same arround the world, he said I have seem in the pacific beaches as nicer than here, after 4 days there he got bored and read about Santo Domingo colonial zone and decided to come to discover the city. We gave him a tour and had a lunch, at the end he said was so happy to discover real Dominican Republic and all the places in the colonial zone was really amazing place, and he defintily could return and explore detailed the musseun, all of them can not visitted in only one day.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
So true, a friend of mine just told Wamos air in a comment that Isla Saona is not in Punta Cana, they shared a pic of the island and said was Punta Cana.

According to the Wamos website Playa Rincon is in Punta Cana as well.
Granted my Spanish isn't great, maybe I am misreading?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
then they decided in the next year promote Santo Domingo, Culture, Gastronomy and say is also close to the nice beaches then came 14,000 Mexicans.

I'm not sure I would put culture or gastronomy among the DR's main selling points.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'm not sure I would put culture or gastronomy among the DR's main selling points.

why not? if you look arround millions of people also travel and is not to see beaches, we have a little bit of everthing. If you are the kind of people that only travel to see beach I respect your point of you and what you likes, but the truth is that not every body likes the same things, as I said turism and people that are visitting us is changing and every day more and more people do not want to stay 7 days watching the sand.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
why not? if you look arround millions of people also travel and is not to see beaches, we have a little bit of everthing. If you are the kind of people that only travel to see beach I respect your point of you and what you likes, but the truth is that not every body likes the same things, as I said turism and people that are visitting us is changing and every day more and more people do not want to stay 7 days watching the sand.

I think you are missing my point. I certainly don't live here just for the beaches, but there are many things I would put ahead of culture and gastronomy as the country's most important attractions.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I think you are missing my point. I certainly don't live here just for the beaches, but there are many things I would put ahead of culture and gastronomy as the country's most important attractions.

Well Colonial zone has the most important places when we talk about it in DR, no other place here can show what you can find in there.