Software Developer Community North Coast?

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Curious, I don't see too much action in Dominican in terms of start-ups although there are some exceptions in the capital but cannot be compared to another latin american startup zone like Medellin or Mexico City. I would like to change this in context of the dev community here perhaps make a meetup of our own and the ones whom are interested in learning.. otherwise it will be pretty lonely here in the future :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was a plan to start a "Tech Park" at La Boca in Cabarete. That plan was shot down as environmentally unsound and won't be done.

I am a retired electronic design engineer who had a specialty in embedded microprocessor design. I have lived full time in Cabarete for 15 years.

There are very, very few technologically oriented people on the north coast. People who work here at technology do it remotely since there are no high tech companies here. There might be a few of those people coming and going at any point in time. Emphasis on the "might be".

Jul 28, 2014
It's definitely a Niche that they are missing/could cash in on but don't have. If you look around enough, you will see there are some I.T. folks around who work, or dabble in work, in the area. Depending on your requirements, there are some areas with decent broadband internet.

Join some Facebook groups and poke around, they are out there...

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Really? that's very comical considering I see half the barrio throw their oil in the gutter but they have their own logic I suppose. Yeah seems hard to find these communities, In Canada there are hundreds of meetups groups including embedded dev., ARM development everything. it would sure be nice to see some community in the future there for sure. I would be working remote as well just makes sense financially but also working with senior engineers who have a tonne of experience.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Really? that's very comical considering I see half the barrio throw their oil in the gutter but they have their own logic I suppose. Yeah seems hard to find these communities, In Canada there are hundreds of meetups groups including embedded dev., ARM development everything. it would sure be nice to see some community in the future there for sure. I would be working remote as well just makes sense financially but also working with senior engineers who have a tonne of experience.

I have never heard of any such groups in the DR.

Yes, really regarding the tech park. The reason the tech park was stopped was because it violated laws about being near the ocean, destroying mangroves, etc. More visible then throwing waste oil on the ground or in the gutter. The other reason is that they probably just did not pay off the right people with enough money.

By the way, I used to work for Embedded Support Tools (EST) , who were then purchased by Wind River and then Intel.. That EST job selling JTAG products to CISCO (and every other SF Bay area company I could) is what allowed me to retire early. My job just before that was with DY 4 Systems out of eastern Canada near Ottawa.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Curious, I don't see too much action in Dominican in terms of start-ups although there are some exceptions in the capital but cannot be compared to another latin american startup zone like Medellin or Mexico City. I would like to change this in context of the dev community here perhaps make a meetup of our own and the ones whom are interested in learning.. otherwise it will be pretty lonely here in the future :)
Not the North Coast, but there IS a formal tech incubator in Santo Domingo toward Boca Chica.