Is Sosua safe for a solo Asian male traveler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
Hello my friends, I am thinking about planning a trip down to the DR to escape the miserable NY winter. Is it safe for a small Asian male to travel to Sosua solo? I am thinking about flying into STI and then taking a bus to Sosua and enjoying the night life. I, however, have heard that sometimes it is dangerous at night. My friends, am I worrying too much or is there truth to it being dangerous for solo travelers in Sosua?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As long as you leave your bling at home, you don't get so drunk that you can't find your way home, are very careful when dealing with the creatures of the night, stay away from drugs and the blatantly obvious criminal pursuits and you should be fine.

A fool and his money are soon parted = use common sense and don't stand out as an easy target.

There is crime everywhere, and Sosua is no different except that many really do try not to scare away the tourists. Many come and stay here without a problem.

See you in the bars...

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Hello my friends, I am thinking about planning a trip down to the DR to escape the miserable NY winter. Is it safe for a small Asian male to travel to Sosua solo? I am thinking about flying into STI and then taking a bus to Sosua and enjoying the night life. I, however, have heard that sometimes it is dangerous at night. My friends, am I worrying too much or is there truth to it being dangerous for solo travelers in Sosua?

This post sounds familiar. In any event, DR is a safe country, you simply need to act as you would when home. For example, do not display money, act and walk with purpose, and do not check you brain with the luggage.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
No risk, no fun = you can't have fun in Sosua without a certain risk. But as in any game, minimize your losses.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Take heed of all of the above + if you can , find a local english speaking wingman or guide ...laylow and don’t take unnecessary risks.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I would say it all depends on who you hang with, in fact as long as you are solo you will be perfectly fine, nobody bothers you, once you make contact with bad elements then you will be in trouble. Learn a few Spanish words and phrases and you don't need to risk relying on local scammers who take you for a ride....!

Sorry, I don't like those local English speaking so-called guide, mostly pimps and drug dealers. Many ex-US criminals thrown out of there and scamming tourists back in DR. It's really not difficult to visit and survive this small place alone with doing a little homework and a few Spanish words.

Jul 28, 2014

Just don't go FULL TOURIST, and forget your brain and common sense at home, like others have stated, and all will be cool.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
There is a very nice hotel right across the Street from where the Metro Bus stops as you enter directly into the center of town. The name of the hotel is called Last Palmas Hotel, the manager Obey and staff are very nice and yoou can enjoy the nightlife without the hassles of getting back to your hotel as everything from the strip to the beach is all within walking distance of the hotel.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
We are flying in tomorrow for our....lost count, maybe 6th or 7th trip to DR. We've never had any problems, if that makes you feel any better. Good advice here. Tourists are targets everywhere in the world. Try not to look like one :0)

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Try to stay at a Hotel which caters to the Vacation you are looking for .... there is another site where you might want to introduce yourself ,and meet some of the guys who travel there like almost on a monthly basis . Lot of good guys on that board who will gladly take you under their wing and show you around , and point you you in the right direction..

Also take a look at that video in the Sosua Businesses closed thread ..
His last video about Sosua is VERY GOOD , imo ... I first did not like him, but he is growing on me ..
The Aussie who goes by MR T ...
here is the video ... explains a LOT of stuff about Sosua/ Cabarete and how things work ..
he has a couple videos , not just this one which is mostly " hang out spots and food"

[video=youtube;Lrq-POI1ytc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrq-POI1ytc&t=0s&index=4&list=PLoJ5q8d11CxMfyuBIsWcjnAVMsnag-BPH&fbclid=IwAR1fapSPjJscsReLSZ9fl6Nc5dkwQwPZsL6Hzx5sSYitO-MH_o-WaV-nsLQ[/video]

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
Try to stay at a Hotel which caters to the Vacation you are looking for .... there is another site where you might want to introduce yourself ,and meet some of the guys who travel there like almost on a monthly basis . Lot of good guys on that board who will gladly take you under their wing and show you around , and point you you in the right direction..

Also take a look at that video in the Sosua Businesses closed thread ..
His last video about Sosua is VERY GOOD , imo ... I first did not like him, but he is growing on me ..
The Aussie who goes by MR T ...
here is the video ... explains a LOT of stuff about Sosua/ Cabarete and how things work ..
he has a couple videos , not just this one which is mostly " hang out spots and food"

[video=youtube;Lrq-POI1ytc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrq-POI1ytc&t=0s&index=4&list=PLoJ5q8d11CxMfyuBIsWcjnAVMsnag-BPH&fbclid=IwAR1fapSPjJscsReLSZ9fl6Nc5dkwQwPZsL6Hzx5sSYitO-MH_o-WaV-nsLQ[/video]

Thank you my friend this is very helpful. I think I joined that board you mentioned and the brothers over there have helped me out a lot so far. Do you recommend a hotel like Last Palmas Hotel (was recommended above) that's right in the middle of the action for a newbie? I am kinda a very light sleeper so the noise might not be the best thing for me, but I understand it might be best to deal with the noise rather than being far from the action and not being able to figure things out as a newbie.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I Dont recommend Hotels to people any more , as some I used to stay at and recommend , I would NEVER stay at again ( diff topic) , and I have since found new places which are cheaper and cleaner ,but not in the middle of town .. Also your Budget is a critical factor .. I am not familiar with Las Palmas, maybe someone else here is ..

imo, Those guys on the other board would be better to ask, as they have REAL TIME INFO from guys who just came back probably like just days ago .....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you will be fine in sosua, no worries.

i suggest you direct more specific questions to the members of the mongering boards, they are best informed about the inner works of sosua. this forum can be quite funky when it comes to the subject of adult fun.

stay safe and stay legal, peace.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Take heed of all of the above + if you can , find a local english speaking wingman or guide ...laylow and don’t take unnecessary risks.

Quite possibly the WORST advice I have seen posted in the forum in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.