One Way Rental From PUJ/Bavaro to SDQ

jsnt41

Nov 29, 2018
Hello! SO and I are visiting Dominican Republic for the first time in a few weeks and think renting a car for a week would be the best way to go from Bavaro to Puerto Plata (Cabarete) and then finally to Santo Domingo.

We arrive at Punta Cana but doubt we will need the car until we leave our resort in Bavaro two days after.

I have enough Avis and Hertz points to book a week long rental (if that is worth pursuing) but I'm also looking for recommendations for rental car companies that would allow this one-way itinerary.

Note: I have considered taking the bus from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo then to Puerto Plata, but think that's just too long and possibly too hectic. Have also considered taking Dominican Shuttle from Bavaro to Puerto Plata but that's too expensive for both of us.

Thanks!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It'll be an adventure that's for sure. If you don't get lost it should take around 6 hours to get close to Puerto Plata. Try not to be driving after dark.

Little trees or pile of rocks in the road mean a big hole. By the time newbie drivers here figure out why there is a branch sticking out of the road, they are usually in the soup so to speak. Driving in this country is not particularly easy or relaxing. Stop and take a 15 minute break every couple of hours and give your brain a rest. You'll know what I mean after about 3 hours.

Good luck and safe travels.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
1. Do you have experience driving outside your home country? Like maybe New Dehli? Lagos? Hanoi?
2. Do you speak Spanish?

If no to one or both, I wouldn't recommend this trip in a rented car. There are way too many bad drivers, road hazards, and potential to be taken advantage of as first-time tourists. I'm sure people rent cars and have great experiences, but there's a huge risk for the adventure to turn into a nightmare for someone inexperienced in Dominican style driving.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just do it. I don't know if the major rental companies allow a one-way rental.
But driving is not that bad except for dodging motorcycles around the cities.
But listen to Cdn_Gringo and don't drive at night.
Even long term residents avoid that.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Try booking it online with SDQ as the drop off. If it allows it you will also get the drop charge rate for returning it to a different location. I'm not sure if they allow that here as even the big companies are franchise locations that are individually owned.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Surely if you start a booking asking your question... the answer will arrive

As in... possible or not

Try your points with Hertz/Avis

jsnt41

Nov 29, 2018
1. Do you have experience driving outside your home country? Like maybe New Dehli? Lagos? Hanoi?
2. Do you speak Spanish?

If no to one or both, I wouldn't recommend this trip in a rented car. There are way too many bad drivers, road hazards, and potential to be taken advantage of as first-time tourists. I'm sure people rent cars and have great experiences, but there's a huge risk for the adventure to turn into a nightmare for someone inexperienced in Dominican style driving.

1. I have driven scooters in SEA, and driven a rental car in Cabo (yeah I know it's not the same)
2. I speak very little, so I should probably brush up.

Thanks all! I have read about major issues with insurance and price hikes when getting rental cars, so I'm unsure about how using points would even work - I'm concerned about them pulling a fast one and asking me to pay an arbitrary cash rate when I arrive.