Changes, No changes

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
I've lived, worked and traveled in the DR since 1973. My wife and I recently got back from another trip down. This time it had been about 10 years between visits so we were surprised at many of the changes yet happy at some of the things that are still very familiar. I'll try to describe a few.

I didn't realize how much I missed the food. Carnes guisadas, concon, casabe, batidas and jugos naturales, la bandera, aguacates and tostones. Yumm.

My wife tells me to quit driving so aggressively when we return to the US. Every kilometer down there is worth several paragraphs so I'll just leave it there. You've been there, done that.

I didn't realize it was against the law to put a sidewalk from your house to the street. Your first step off the porch puts you in danger of being hit by a passing motor. I guess it makes for a shorter walk to the colmado.

Apagones. This is a no changes. They used to sing a song "y venia la brisa fua, y me la apagaba". Don't know if they were referring to la luz but that hasn't changed much. Promises, promises.

All my old tranquil swimming holes are now surrounded by development. Bummer. We used to carry a bag of mangos down to the river. Get that mess all over us. Fall in the river. Rinse, repeat.

Rented from Alamo. Went well. Showed them the credit card info that said I didn't need the comp and collision. They said no problema. I'd told myself I was gonna save money. Had planned it for weeks. And then I caved. Spent the extra $200 for the 10 days. Gimme everything I begged him! I chickened out.

Dominicans suck at giving directions. It was never, ever, ever where they said it was supposed to be. Load the Waze app. That's my advice.

Went into a pharmacy to ask about the meds we take and whether we needed to have a written prescription from our doctor. The lady says "Well, we don't exactly need that down here, just tell me what you need". Oh, ok. My list just got longer.

By my count there are 10 million Dominicans, 12 million motores, and 14 million Bancas in the DR. But I could be wrong.

Finally, we are definitely moving back to open a business. Now I know the old story about how do you end up with a million dollars in the DR-start with two million. But we found the perfect opportunity. Servilletas! Because Dominican servilletas no sirven. As tourists we ate out a lot. Every place provides the same little do-nothing servilletas. Ours are gonna big honkin North American napkins! Something you can wipe that bean sauce or tostone grease off your face and hands. No pun intended but we're gonna clean up.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Yep, I chickened out on the rental insurance too :paranoid: My first time driving in DR after half dozen visits. We arrive tomorrow. Yay!

I took my wife back to my home town in Wisconsin after 25 years and, like you say, some things changed and some stayed exactly the same. Especially the government related structures - parks, ball parks, schools - were exactly how I left them long ago!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yep, I chickened out on the rental insurance too :paranoid: My first time driving in DR after half dozen visits. We arrive tomorrow. Yay!

I took my wife back to my home town in Wisconsin after 25 years and, like you say, some things changed and some stayed exactly the same. Especially the government related structures - parks, ball parks, schools - were exactly how I left them long ago!

...Rocky where did you live in Wisc?...........I lived there also....

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
...Rocky where did you live in Wisc?...........I lived there also....

Southeast of Madison. Small town called Lake Mills, then moved to Burlington, then Racine. Beautiful state and the people are wonderful. Just....really........COLD. LOL

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Southeast of Madison. Small town called Lake Mills, then moved to Burlington, then Racine. Beautiful state and the people are wonderful. Just....really........COLD. LOL

...I was in Hudson on the St croix river...yes is a well kept secret, except in winter....beautiful state of small towns, and nice people..........

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nive report Farmer.
I hope my directions were helpful.
I wish we could have hooked up.

HB

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
...I was in Hudson on the St croix river...yes is a well kept secret, except in winter....beautiful state of small towns, and nice people..........

Too much conflict in that area. Everyone was always arguing over who had the best fried cheese curds - Sparta? Or Tomah? (;-)

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
No, thank you. We missed a couple turns but street signs in Santiago have all but faded out. And who can take their eyes off the road to look? The guy we stopped and asked for corrections just happened to be a Uber driver and got us squared away.