Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparable recent sales data availability...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparable recent sales data availability...

If possible, where can one find the comprehensive recent sales data for properties? Notice I wrote if possible. But somehere, maybe by province, or city, I don't know, but thinking there probably is a property registry where transactions are listed. My interests are Sosua, and northeast coastal towns, Las Terranas, etc.

Obviously the offer prices are everywhere, with the broker sites, signs, etc,., and what people will tell you....and somewhere beyond that is the truth if you can get to it.

Then, there are properties that just sit vacant and nobody seems to know much about and you'd have to dig in a registry to find the owner...I guess.

If anyone knows how to get to the root of this I'd really appreciate your input.

PS: I know about search buttons...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The short answer is no. Realtors have not come up with this yet in the DR.

The long answer is I have never seen a way you can come up with this on your own. Maybe someone has and is keeping it a secret.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no record of sales published, you could probably get your lawyer to do a search for specific property ,most property for sales go up on net and never get taken down. So you can’t gauge price by what you see on net... then you have to contend with
    People who over paid pre recession prices who think they can get same price as they paid..best is get a good agent not fly by nite and get a feel for selling prices.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen the same property listed at the same time on three different websites for three different prices.

5. Likes CristoRey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

No licensing, no regulation, no data available. It's the Wild West.

If you want comps I would knock on doors and ask. Cover all the area around your target property you are trying to comp and start knocking on doors.

Tell them what you are doing, what you are comping, the listing price and potential strike price...people generally will help you out is my guess and are always interested to talk about their real estate value.

Good Luck!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

To follow that thought ....

In a condominium community, surely people know recent sales.
    It may be not published, but it’s not unknown.
    As ljamseg points out ... just dig for it...it’s there

8. Likes ljmesg liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    To follow that thought ....

In a condominium community, surely people know recent sales.
    It may be not published, but it’s not unknown.
    As ljamseg points out ... just dig for it...it’s there
    The problem with that... is getting a neighbor to tell the truth when quoting recent sales prices may lower what they’d like to get one day for their own place.

10. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

No MLS system and certainly no public database logging property sales in this country.

Currently it is 100% a buyer's market. Those wishing to sell usually ask more than most are willing to pay these days. When an offer is made, sellers tend to counter too high or reject the offer outright. Most of these sellers then grow old waiting for the next offer.

A property is only worth what a seller can sell it for at the time they have an offer in their hands. For most, it is a slow and frustrating task to sell in this country especially if one is in sort of a hurry. Some sellers make out ok at the low and high end of the market. A condo in a gringo enclave may appeal to more foreign buyers than a stand alone villa. Properties priced at a million and more appeal to those buyers for whom a million or more is not a big deal. There is very few of these high flyers but at least they aren't pondering the effect of dumping their limited retirement nest egg into an investment property in this country.

OP, if you are a buyer, you're in control. Offer whatever you feel you'd like to pay. If one property doesn't pan out, there are 50 more down the street and around the corner. Back and forth price negotiations are not necessary and such circumstances are usually sellers trying to minimize their substantial losses and who fail to realize that if they pull too hard on the line, the only fish in many months will get away.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    The problem with that... is getting a neighbor to tell the truth when quoting recent sales prices may lower what they’d like to get one day for their own place.
    Naaaa, people like to talk about their values. If they think they got a good buy they will tell you. If they are questioning what they paid they will share it and ask to see your results when complied first a back check.

It's the only way here to get any reliable information. It's a good way to do it in the US as well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    No MLS system and certainly no public database logging property sales in this country.

Currently it is 100% a buyer's market. Those wishing to sell usually ask more than most are willing to pay these days. When an offer is made, sellers tend to counter too high or reject the offer outright. Most of these sellers then grow old waiting for the next offer.

A property is only worth what a seller can sell it for at the time they have an offer in their hands. For most, it is a slow and frustrating task to sell in this country especially if one is in sort of a hurry. Some sellers make out ok at the low and high end of the market. A condo in a gringo enclave may appeal to more foreign buyers than a stand alone villa. Properties priced at a million and more appeal to those buyers for whom a million or more is not a big deal. There is very few of these high flyers but at least they aren't pondering the effect of dumping their limited retirement nest egg into an investment property in this country.

OP, if you are a buyer, you're in control. Offer whatever you feel you'd like to pay. If one property doesn't pan out, there are 50 more down the street and around the corner. Back and forth price negotiations are not necessary and such circumstances are usually sellers trying to minimize their substantial losses and who fail to realize that if they pull too hard on the line, the only fish in many months will get away.
    I agree with this and dont be afraid to lowball an offer. Depending on the property, the lowball offer is more than likely to be a correct offer as many properties have been available for literally years.

You just have to find the seller ready to "drop the rock" and actually sell.

Many just have a shingle hung out waiting for an expat sucker to walk in. Otherwise they have zero intention of actually selling.

You can figure this out pretty quickly in an eye to eye conversation with a seller or submitting your lowballish offer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast