Did you meet your wife/GF in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2012
Based in conversations and pointers from other OPs, did you meet your wife or GF in Sosua?

If you haven't yet - are you looking forward to it?

Just wondering?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I came to Sosua 6 years ago for 2 months and my wife would not introduce me to any local girlfriends. Go figure!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No but I enjoyed living there (for the most part) and made some
good friends along the way. Most of the girls/ women who were
born and raised in Sosua don't work as prostitutes.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Here is the golden rule to meeting your wife/girlfriend in the DR or anywhere else in the world for that matter. If you had a pay for play agreement, AKA john and pro relationship to start with, you should not have married her. Just my opinion.

Ah c’mon, where’s the romantic in you? ........haven’t you ever seen “Pretty Women”?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For the most part very true, The working girls are from other areas. The girls from Sosua looking to ply the trade will goto Bavaro so not to be seen by family.

Very, very true

I see girls from Cabrera often in other towns..... over 40 minutes away
They go there to'earn' money... and don't spoil there hometown reputation

Seems to be a normal occurrence

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Very, very true

I see girls from Cabrera often in other towns..... over 40 minutes away
They go there to'earn' money... and don't spoil there hometown reputation

Seems to be a normal occurrence

very true, WW. so the girls from Bani tell their family and friends that they are going to work as a cashier in Sosua...wink , wink. everybody knows the deal, but at least Doña Belkis does not actually see her coming home at 7 am in a dress that is 5 sizes too small.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I always tell our friends back in Canada how unique Sosua is. How 2 mid sixties couples can walk down Pedro Clisante and say hi to 2 19 year Olds in micro minis and both couples laugh.

Sep 4, 2012
No but I enjoyed living there (for the most part) and made some
good friends along the way. Most of the girls/ women who were
born and raised in Sosua don't work as prostitutes.

True.

The subject is not to guilt girls from Sosua of anything - what's a fact is the mongers that frequent the place just for this excitement alone?

You lived in Sosua, now in another city but you do live in the DR for personal reasons, others make it all about Sosua/DR because of what goes on there.'

We may just have some of the sick ones right here watching. No ties to this country at all - yet their presence is felt everyday as predators.

Just saying!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally, I think a lot of these girls are misunderstood.

The men 'seekers' oftentimes are lonely... widowed, older, not that attractive/acceptable in the 1 st world
Similarly, many of the girls oftentimes are seeking a stable relationship - secure - and are willing to accept whatever alternative is offered.

I know many locals who are fed up with the antics of Dominican men and deliberately look for an older foreigner .
They see it as security and a better future.
They will care for them in latter years.... cook, shop do all the things many men cannot or won't do.

It is a symbiotic relationship of sorts.... and can suit both parties.

I have heard this in conversation with more than one Dominicana....
it is a fact in my part of the world

May 5, 2007
I had been vacationing in DR for years in the 1990's I met a young lady on road from SD to Banai, she had ran out of gas Make along story short, she was a doctor (Reconstructive surgery) from SD. After a couple trips we decided to spend a couple nights together, "away" I set everything up, picked her up on a Friday afternoon and headed North She asked where we were going and I told her Sosua She damm near killed me No way was she going to be seen in that (**(&(( town

I had visited Sosua many times and thought nothing of it, it had more of a Caribbean beach town atmosphere than any other I had explored in the DR I guess the local Dominicans think of it a bit differently We ended up at one of the AI's in POP, didn't much care for it myself but saved a lot of aggravation

Always liked Sosua myself, it is what you make of it Made a few friends up there, Grahame and Ginny come to mind, Eddie, Scott and a few others but no girlfriend or wife :cheeky:

May 5, 2007

The men 'seekers' oftentimes are lonely... widowed, older, not that attractive/acceptable in the 1 st world
Similarly, many of the girls oftentimes are seeking a stable relationship - secure - and are willing to accept whatever alternative is offered.

I know many locals who are fed up with the antics of Dominican men and deliberately look for an older foreigner .
They will care for them in latter years.... cook, shop do all the things many men cannot or won't do.

Whatever works for everyone involved As long as both parties are willing and of "legal" age, I see it as none of anyone's business

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The girls I mention I old enough to be fed up with the status quo
Not that old but certainly not younger than legal

Think 35+

May 12, 2005
Michael-Jackson-Popcorn

I'm just here for the comments

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

in many respects, i think the correct term is ''transactional''.

Status
Not open for further replies.