Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand-Held Radios in the DR: Rules and Laws

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand-Held Radios in the DR: Rules and Laws

I need a bunch of hand-held radios for a project here on the island. The need to be longer range, 2-5 miles, so simple cheesy walkie-talkies won't do the job. Perhaps a marine-type VHF/UHF might, as long as it is water resistant.

I know some hand-helds can transmit to 10w, which exceeds US amateur standards.

Does anyione have experience with radio equipment and frequencies in the DR? Or know where to find the info within the bureaucracy?

Any insight is most gratefully appreciated.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really need a license to use them in the DR? I mean, if you just use them for whatever is anyone going to say anything?
    I doubt there are many 'hams' using 2m or 70cms...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To use the motorola type used in mining, you need a license from the government which will assign you a frequency. You can then bring in your own radios.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    To use the motorola type used in mining, you need a license from the government which will assign you a frequency. You can then bring in your own radios.
    Here there are companies that give Radio hand held services, and yes you need a licence with Indotel.

Maybe this company can solve your problem https://www.radioytecnica.com/ they give national coverage.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe go old school CB radios handheld ,they would give you distance you need.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

riva is correct, you need a permit from indotel, they assign the frequency.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we need a discreet channel assigned. I'm thinking more FRS/GMRS UHF and VHF radios. Do those still require a license?

I'll get in touch with Indotel.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Here there are companies that give Radio hand held services, and yes you need a licence with Indotel.

Maybe this company can solve your problem https://www.radioytecnica.com/ they give national coverage.
    I can buy 10 radios for what it costs to rent two from them for 50 days.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Commercial hand held FRS and GMRS two-ways are usually within the same designated frequency band, nothing needs assigning by INDOTEL. Long gone are the days of changing crystals "Heathkit" style :-)

UHF or VHF, all depends on the use criteria. As a simple general rule, UHF = urban, VHF = countryside.
    Bring in what you need and just use them like everyone else does, I would not get involved with INDOTEL.

10. Likes SKY, cobraboy, j&t's future, jinty05 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Commercial hand held FRS and GMRS two-ways are usually within the same designated frequency band, nothing needs assigning by INDOTEL. Long gone are the days of changing crystals "Heathkit" style :-)

UHF or VHF, all depends on the use criteria. As a simple general rule, UHF = urban, VHF = countryside.
    Bring in what you need and just use them like everyone else does, I would not get involved with INDOTEL.
    If he is planning to use a walky talky no need, but if he is planning to use long range radio for sure he will need it.

https://www.indotel.gob.do/media/568...ficionados.pdf

12. Likes cobraboy liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast