Hand-Held Radios in the DR: Rules and Laws

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I need a bunch of hand-held radios for a project here on the island. The need to be longer range, 2-5 miles, so simple cheesy walkie-talkies won't do the job. Perhaps a marine-type VHF/UHF might, as long as it is water resistant.

I know some hand-helds can transmit to 10w, which exceeds US amateur standards.

Does anyione have experience with radio equipment and frequencies in the DR? Or know where to find the info within the bureaucracy?

Any insight is most gratefully appreciated.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Do you really need a license to use them in the DR? I mean, if you just use them for whatever is anyone going to say anything?
I doubt there are many 'hams' using 2m or 70cms...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
To use the motorola type used in mining, you need a license from the government which will assign you a frequency. You can then bring in your own radios.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Maybe go old school CB radios handheld ,they would give you distance you need.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
riva is correct, you need a permit from indotel, they assign the frequency.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm not sure we need a discreet channel assigned. I'm thinking more FRS/GMRS UHF and VHF radios. Do those still require a license?

I'll get in touch with Indotel.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Commercial hand held FRS and GMRS two-ways are usually within the same designated frequency band, nothing needs assigning by INDOTEL. Long gone are the days of changing crystals "Heathkit" style :)

UHF or VHF, all depends on the use criteria. As a simple general rule, UHF = urban, VHF = countryside.
Bring in what you need and just use them like everyone else does, I would not get involved with INDOTEL.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Commercial hand held FRS and GMRS two-ways are usually within the same designated frequency band, nothing needs assigning by INDOTEL. Long gone are the days of changing crystals "Heathkit" style :)

UHF or VHF, all depends on the use criteria. As a simple general rule, UHF = urban, VHF = countryside.
Bring in what you need and just use them like everyone else does, I would not get involved with INDOTEL.

If he is planning to use a walky talky no need, but if he is planning to use long range radio for sure he will need it.

https://www.indotel.gob.do/media/56...ento-para-el-servicio-de-radioaficionados.pdf

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
A friend in our 4x4 club ordered some handheld handsets from Amazon and shipped them over with one of the couriers, not sure which one. The package had been opened, which is customary, but he was levied an additional "radio tax", even though it was less than $200.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If he is planning to use a walky talky no need, but if he is planning to use long range radio for sure he will need it.

https://www.indotel.gob.do/media/56...ento-para-el-servicio-de-radioaficionados.pdf

To me it was pretty clear in the original post that CB was looking at two-ways :)

Bring in a couple of test units, if they do the job, buy more.
If not, send back for a refund, rinse and repeat.

My advice, don't go cheap. Go with a named brand like Motorola, Icom, Kenwood etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are also supposed to have a driver's license, residency card, firearms license...

As long as you don't step on anyone else's assigned frequency resulting in a complaint, you should be fine. I think the ability of the regulator to track down sporadically used handheld devices is lacking. Operating an unlicensed radio station could be a different story.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I did research into walkie talkie companies in the DR for a client and this was the most professional and responsive I found:

Yolanda Henriquez

Reprecentante de Ventas

AVELOCK DOMINICANA S.R.L.

Tel. (809) 534-5536 Fax. (809) 508-1170.

C/Desiderio Arias #69 Bella Vista, Sto. Dgo.

WWW.Avelock.com Avelock Dominicana

Email is Yolanda@avelock.com

On a side note when we had the colmado which was a mile from the house, we had a walkie talkie in the house and one in the colmado. No registration none of that stuff. Metro was building their first big apartment block on the beach in Juan Dolio. Eldest stepson was in the shop and walkie talkie came to life. It was the Maestro from the apartment block asking confirmation that apartments were to be painted white. Step son said no, they should be dark pink. Maestro argued then went off to buy a truckload of dark pink paint lol.

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
To me it was pretty clear in the original post that CB was looking at two-ways :)

Bring in a couple of test units, if they do the job, buy more.
If not, send back for a refund, rinse and repeat.

My advice, don't go cheap. Go with a named brand like Motorola, Icom, Kenwood etc.
We have some externally-imposed budgetary constraits. :classic:

VHF would be fine for our use.

There is also some compatibility challenges for use with Sena Bluetooth products.

I contacted a guy who has been a Motorola franchise in Pinellas Co. FL (St. Pete/Clearwater, my old stomping grounds) for eons. I sold him nice street Cobra to many years ago that he still has. I told him our needs and he suggested a Baofeng product instead of a Motorola: https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1. Says he sells Motorola only when spec'd, like police, gubmint and fire departments, full integrated systems that are mega-spendy, in the millions. He can't sell to me. He does sells a ton of various Baofeng radios and says they are great bang for the buck.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A friend in our 4x4 club ordered some handheld handsets from Amazon and shipped them over with one of the couriers, not sure which one. The package had been opened, which is customary, but he was levied an additional "radio tax", even though it was less than $200.
$200 each or total?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
$200 each or total?

I don't know how much his radio costs, but I'm guessing they weren't very expensive. The reason I mentioned that it was under $200 is that is the threshold you can import items without paying any import taxes. However, because it was a radio, the applicable taxes were applied in this case.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
We have some externally-imposed budgetary constraits. :classic:

VHF would be fine for our use.

There is also some compatibility challenges for use with Sena Bluetooth products.

I contacted a guy who has been a Motorola franchise in Pinellas Co. FL (St. Pete/Clearwater, my old stomping grounds) for eons. I sold him nice street Cobra to many years ago that he still has. I told him our needs and he suggested a Baofeng product instead of a Motorola: https://baofengtech.com/murs-v1. Says he sells Motorola only when spec'd, like police, gubmint and fire departments, full integrated systems that are mega-spendy, in the millions. He can't sell to me. He does sells a ton of various Baofeng radios and says they are great bang for the buck.

Hyt radios are available and compatible with motorloa. I think Avelock sells them About 1/3 price.