English Book stores

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Hi,

I was just checking out the availability of books from Amazon etc in the DR. I am in sticker shock over the shipping costs. I knew it would be expensive, but I didn't even conceive.....

Anyway, are there English language bookstores in the DR, and what kind of pricing are we talking about?

Thanks
Mike

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
There are several courier services to help you with shipping if you frequently ship items from the US. They give you a US address and then deliver it to their office here or even to your door. These include Mailboxes etc, EPS, Business Mail, and several others. Heavy items do get expensive with all of them although prices and plans vary widely.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Just reposting old stuff...

Libreria Cuesta (southeast corner of 27 de Feb and A. Lincoln): it has been recently renewed and re-opened. It looks very nice now and features the largest selection in town (in Spanish of course). The English section is no good.

Thesaurus (southeast corner of A. Lincoln and Sarasota): More English books than Cuesta. They have a nice cafe on the second floor in case you want to leaf thru your newly-bought book while sipping a coffee.

The Book Store: Only English books, mostly for children. On Sarasota near Hotel Delta.

Bookies (Ave. 27 de Feb.): Stephen King kind of books.

Stand on El Conde St. (no name, right beside McDonalds): This is where I buy my books when I am not looking for something specific. They sell used books in many languages, you have to go thru all the stuff and get your hands dirty. Once in a while I find a jewel there. Please don't pay more than RD$15.00 for a book in English or he might charge me more next time.

Become a member of the Hellen Kellogg Library or the Dominico-Americano: Plenty books in English. The Hellen Kellogg Library is at 253 Avenida Independencia (betwen Osvaldo Baez and Danae behind the Church of the Epiphany which is beside the Hotel Casona Dorado). Dominico-Americano is on Lincoln directly across the Hotel Hispaniola.

Buy on Amazon: If you need something specific this is the way to get it. Have them shipped to a mail box in Miami, such as EPS (you have to be a member) and they will send it to you in DR for a fee.

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
I think that pretty much covers things, and off of one post!!! Thanks for the info. One more item off the check list.

Mike

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bookshop

There is a good bookshop at the New Horizon School. It is located on the Av.Sarasota very near to the entrance to the Hotel El Embajador. They sell many English books.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
as far as cost

Any English books that I want to buy hover around the 200 peso range (I haven't checked out Pib's guy on El Conde yet). 200 pesos is about 12 bucks.

Thesaurus has the weirdest selection of English books, a large percentage are about "how to please your lover" also many about "how to be a buddist".. I'm curious who does the buying for that shop!!

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Rachel:

I agree with you that although Thesaurus has a larger selection of books in English the ones that they have are strange, to say the least.

I can do two things for you: I can take you to El Conde to see my bookie hihi, I always wanted to say that :D and you can check what he has. Or, you could borrow my books, I have a decent selection of books in English (being that they are cheaper than in Spanish) and they are just gathering dust. And I will take you to the next sale at the Hellen Kellogg library, books for RD$5.00.

If interested, pls. email me.