Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canuck in need of help

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Please keep us posted. I think those of us who chipped in now feel a kinship, whether we know him or not. Personally I don't care where the money was spent to get the operation, but I'm glad he decide to go to Canada, where they hopefully are way more advanced in infection control. I've seen first hand how quickly an infection can destroy bone and tissue.

Seeing the time they took for surgery and amount of blood used, I'm thinking they were correcting some issues that occurred here during or post-op on the first attempt here for the artificial hip replacement ?
    Most Canadian hospitals make it a practice to get you out of the hospital as fast as possible, mainly due to infection possibilities. Quebec had a very bad C-difficile scare in a couple of hospitals a few years ago and cleaning protocol was vastly improved as a result. Montreal has very good hospitals and doctors so I am sure Pat was in good hands.

An interesting factoid to know, and it applies to some other types of surgeries: To reduce the risk of infection, antibiotics are routinely given at the time of surgery. Rarely, the implant is at the source of the infection. If this happens, the implant must be surgically removed, antibiotics are administered for 6 weeks. After the infection is resolved a second hip replacement surgery may be performed.

While the risk of infection decreases as the surgical wounds heal, it never completely goes away. People are advised to tell their dentists about their joint replacements, because any dental procedure carries a small risk of bacterial infection. Antibiotics taken ahead of time can prevent bacterial infections. Viral infections such as the flu are not a risk to the implant.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

@Bob Saunders...new dental work protocols for people with implants... the 4 amoxicillin pills 1hr before dental work is no longer advised. I have 2 knee and 2 shoulder implants and was advised last summer in Ottawa that that procedure was no longer necessary.
    However, if I get dental work done here in DR you can bet that I will revert to the old protocol!

No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

So since we are talking infection there is this news from the medical community in DR blaming the insurance providers for creating the rise in post op transplant infections in DR:

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/denunci...raumatologicos/

My advice is go outside for a transplant

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

All too often patients accept what a doctor says and never ask questions.

Is this the best implant available today?
    Is this the best medication for my condition?
    Are your treatment options being constrained by the insurance company?
    Are you/is this the best place for me to get the treatment I need?
    How much would "this" cost me if I paid for it myself?

You really have to be proactive and involved with your treatment and care in the DR. If you just sit back and let "them" get on with it, you may not get what you think you should and receive treatment that may not be in your best interest. I have no doubt that insurance companies try to reduce their costs at the expense of patients who are too timid to speak up for themselves. I also get the feeling that lots of resident foreigners may be under insured without a bankroll to fall back on. This situation can easily lead to accepting inferior treatment options to keep the procedural costs within the scope of their existing medical coverage.

I also suspect that it is not uncommon for people to not completely understand their health insurance policy. It is not the easiest document to read and understand in a foreign language - you cannot accept the statements made by insurance agents at face value - those promises need to be explicitly written into the policy or they are just hollow promises.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets steer this back to Pat please.

Does any one have an update?

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234