Canuck in need of help

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Jan 9, 2004
Saw this post on Facebook this morning and thought I'd pass it on. A fellow Canuck is having a rough time with a hip operation gone wrong. I've met Pat before but don't know him on a personal level but I do know he is well liked by many people. Give it a quick read if interested. Crowdfunding has been created to give him and his family a hand. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=923545144505256&id=654521898074250

https://www.gofundme.com/6j4yw1s

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Saw this earlier today as well and thought about posting it, but was unsure if these solicitations are allowed to be posted here.

In any event, made a contribution earlier today............maybe if the powers that be let it stay.......others in the DR1 community might help get Pat where he needs to be.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Saw this earlier today as well and thought about posting it, but was unsure if these solicitations are allowed to be posted here.

In any event, made a contribution earlier today............maybe if the powers that be let it stay.......others in the DR1 community might help get Pat where he needs to be.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Had I not known him or trusted the person that posted it, I wouldn't have shared it. Hopefully the mods will allow it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Donations are halfway to the the 12k goal after just 1 day :) Poor guy hasn't been able to work since August according to the post and I know for a fact that he has a family to support.

Note: I am not directly involved in the fundraising, simply trying to spread the word so he can get the help he needs. Hoy por ti, mañana por mi...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can't Pat fly back to Canada and be covered by their free medical for all ? I would not risk another hip transplant here if his first went wrong.
Infection is very common in hip transplant surgeries for up to a year following the operation and can destroy the tissue and bone such that a follow up transplant could be impossible.

I have a friend who had a bad infection set in after a hip transplant 25+ years ago - following a hang glider crash.
To this day he suffers, limps badly and has little use of his left leg.
This is too important to risk - Pat my advise is go back to Canada for your own safety and future.

Anyway I'll chip in $25.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Can't Pat fly back to Canada and be covered by their free medical for all ? I would not risk another hip transplant here if his first went wrong.
Infection is very common in hip transplant surgeries for up to a year following the operation and can destroy the tissue and bone such that a follow up transplant could be impossible.

I have a friend who had a bad infection set in after a hip transplant 25+ years ago - following a hang glider crash.
To this day he suffers, limps badly and has little use of his left leg.
This is too important to risk - Pat my advise is go back to Canada for your own safety and future.

Anyway I'll chip in $25.

He's been living outside Canada for too long. He'd need to live in Canada for 3 months before being covered again. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Had I not known him or trusted the person that posted it, I wouldn't have shared it. Hopefully the mods will allow it.

No problem from the mods...... I donated myself.....

Moved thread to the Community Support Forum

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Here's what Pat posted today on GoFundMe. My sincere thanks to all who donated.

"To be honest I had never heard of gofundme till 3 days ago. A good friend explained to me what it was but i laugbhed ans said I could never beg for money no matter how rich people could be....well they went ahead and did and an hour latter later there already was close to 2000 dollars.... And 8000 after 24 hours. I really dont know what to saý but a very humble thank you from my family and in my world...what goes around comes around...... Gracias et un gros Merci"

Jan 9, 2004
Here's what Pat posted today on GoFundMe. My sincere thanks to all who donated.

"To be honest I had never heard of gofundme till 3 days ago. A good friend explained to me what it was but i laugbhed ans said I could never beg for money no matter how rich people could be....well they went ahead and did and an hour latter later there already was close to 2000 dollars.... And 8000 after 24 hours. I really dont know what to saý but a very humble thank you from my family and in my world...what goes around comes around...... Gracias et un gros Merci"

$2,500.00 from the goal.....kudos to all that stepped up.....and to those who will eventually get him to that goal.

Truly, what goes around does comes around.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
That's wonderful!! I wish him the best. It is nice to see how people can come together to help someone in need out.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
He's been living outside Canada for too long. He'd need to live in Canada for 3 months before being covered again. Thanks!

Yes, 6 months or longer out of country without return, most provincial insurance is null and void. After 3 months back, full coverage for this type of surgery with the exception of maybe in room cable tv.

All my best to Pat, speedy recovery, and I bet the goal is reached by tomorrow AM. Amazing support and generosity.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Ontario....
there is a mechanism to shorten that 90 day waiting period by a doctor's letter

It was offered to me.

Jan 9, 2004
He is now only $2,100 from the goal of $12,000 thanks to the kindness and generosity of people here on DR1 and elsewhere.....and all in just three days!

The power of 1+1+1.

Let’s get this done.

Respectfully
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
$1,800.00 and change away............keep it coming......however small.........1+1+1.

They are within striking distance.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks RockyM and Bonao99.....and to all those known and unknown who have helped......

Every donation helps...........

He is now $1,600 away from the goal of $12,000....in just 3 days......

Keep it coming DR1.........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
The latest update.

In 3 short days the goal of $12,000 is now within reach.

From $2,100 needed this morning to get to $12,000, the latest total indicates $1,300 is now needed to reach the final goal.

It is no longer a matter of if...............but when;

Which one of you will help take this over the top?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
So the goal of $12,000 is $900 away as of this morning.

Extrapolating a bit, if everyone who viewed this thread gave $1...........we would be there.

If half of the people who viewed this thread gave $2..........we would be there.

If only 10% of the people who viewed this thread gave $10.00...........we would be there.

The goal is that close and needs but a few kind gestures from a few kind souls.

Do it in your name, the name of a loved one, anonymous, or just DR1.com...........but do it.

And Thank You for your anticipated donation.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2