Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The reference to the article on SSDs vs HDDs was interesting. "Spinners" as Marc called them are pretty useful and cheap. The HDDs are cheaper. Upkeep is sometimes a pain.
    I will keep looking and I think I will come up with something that is not "plasticy" but strong. I have to be sure Marc would approve...I know that the sob is watching this closely....

Thanks and keeps the comments coming...

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

2. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2 View Post
    Our IT guy recommends getting an SSD for lots of reasons, some of which are outlined here;

https://www.pcmag.com/article/358283...ld-have-an-ssd.................
    I am still partial to this part of that article ............

Also, since HDDs are great for lots of cheap archival space, you can get the best of both worlds by going for an SSD as a boot drive and a larger HDD for extra storage

I have a desktop and a laptop both with a 256Gb SSD and a 1TB HDD. For me perfect setup as i store a LOT of files on my pc.

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

HB

I am in exactly the same position as you. Marc recommended to me the same model you have, just after you had yours and I love it. Same issues. Keyboard has some keys not working so I have a wireless keyboard which sits on top, has had a new fan and a new hard drive SSD. No battery any more. I am off to the UK so have been in touch with a computer store there and said what I need ( no videos, hardly any games ) and that I wanted to keep all my data so could my hard drive just be put in the new one. Their reply was:

We recomend the Lenovo V330 with: i5 8250U, 256GB M.2 SSD, 8GB DDR4 RAM, Full HD Mate 15.6" Display. It also has a nice keyboard and trackpad, with 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB Type C, with combo audio/mic port, webcam, mic, ethernet, hdmi, vga and a dvd drive. Oh and it has AC Wireless in duel band.
    And that is £600 inc VAT
    Office Home & Student 2019 is £119.99 inc VAT
    It has a free 2.5" space availiable to fit an extra drive so yes we can put the old on in there.
    It will be windows 10. no options for windows 7 now because its getting completely discontinued in jan 2021.
    Its voltage is between 100-240 so you will be fine.

I checked it out and the only criticism were it was a bit plasticy and screen resolution not brilliant. Wrote back and reply was:

I recomend it because its just a solid all around laptop. it covers pretty much every aspect quite well and theres not many downsides.

Pros

Its very fast (with it's new i5,8 gb ram & 256gb ssd)

its got very good ports (USB type C is the future)

its very modern (because of the above)
    its still got a dvd drive (most dont bother anymore)

its got a full hd screen (most still dont have this)

its got a very good trackpad & keyboard (a nice bonus)

Cons

It's windows 10 (not that you have a choice)

the screen isn't as bright as you might want (but it is still mate, and working indoors wont matter. better to have a full hd screen thats a bit dark then a sub hd screen and it being a 'bit' brighter. sub hd screens are inherently dull anyway, thats why its so cheap).

It's a full plastic chassis (you have to comprimise somewhere, it's still very sturdy in my opinion. fact of the matter though, is back in the day all laptops where sturdy, but not because people wanted it but because they simply couldnt make it smaller, they were big and bulky which makes them automatically sturdy. the more modern something is, the thinner it gets (and by extension less sturdier). Thats reality im afraid.)

It's all about comprismise and realistic expectations. £600 is an incredably good price for something of this spec. thats why i've been recomending this for over 3 months now (that means nothing else has come to my attention that beats it in any meaniful way). If you want it cheaper you have to sacrifice something else. my personal opinion is to care more about performance & features then having a metal chassis or a slightly brighter screen. sure those things are nice, but you pay much more for it and if the machine in question is already OK in the build quality department then just settle for OK and be glad that you have a good performer.

Hope that helps

Matilda
    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums

5. Likes Polar Bear liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    ............. and that I wanted to keep all my data so could my hard drive just be put in the new one. Their reply was:

It has a free 2.5" space availiable to fit an extra drive so yes we can put the old on in there............

Matilda
    me likes

7. Likes Matilda, Polar Bear liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank

Totally agree that a Surface Pro is really an amazing piece of equipment that you introduced me to for a bargain price.

Thanks a million

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A laptop is subject to forces that HDDs are not equipped to handle. Unless you want to shut it off and wait for the drive to stop spinning every time you move you are risking everything you have stored on it. It might be a rare occurrence, once in about 25 years of laptop use for me, but it was a sad event.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Some good suggestions so far. One thing I would like to add is beware a lot of the newer laptops only come with a SSD (solid state drive). The reasoning I believe for this is there is an assumption you will be storing your files in the clouds. Personally I am not a big fan of this set-up and much prefer the laptop to have dual drives. A SSD for storing my programs and a HDD for storing my data.
    My computer is configured with a 256GB SSD for system and programs (speed, a 30 second boot) and a 1TB 7200rpm HDD for storage with a 4TB personal cloud and 2TB portable drive for redundancy.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

11. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    sounds good, frank, but do tell where you can get a 27 inch monitor for 115..
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&Sku=40810683

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...43&CatId=11877

27" at $119 and $129 but I didn't search very hard.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't sound you need anything real fancy(?). I'd say stick with HP. I've had an HP Pavillion dm4 with an i5 processor and 8GB of ram and it's been a great laptop. When I upgrade it'l be to another HP.

4GB will work ok, but I'd go with 8GB minimum. If you need storage like I do(I have a lot of music and foto files), get a 500GB HDD or greater and forget about the SSD - it will cost you hundreds of dollars more - not worth the money IMO.

If watching your laptop boot up 15 seconds faster and programs open 5 second faster is important enough to you to spend the extra money for an SSD, you must have a really hectic and fast paced life.

Also, unless you're really on a tight budget - buy new.

14. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My goodness!! ALL of these posts make sense. Matilda, I love your report and Frank, thanks for the Amazon link..I put one in my cart. CB what kind of a rig do you have? sounds potent.
    I expect to go to Best Buy and Tiger direct in Florida.
    Now my head is full of ideas, all thanks to you folks...

Thanks again. This has been a most enlightening experience.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast