Las Terranes or Las Galeras

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
I am going to be in Cabarete next month for 30 days. I am planning on taking a small 4 night trip to either Las Terranes or Las Galeras. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I would love to hear your opinions and any recommendations on either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If you have 4 nights, you could do both and Samana. You would likely go through Samana to get to Las Galeras anyway. The whole peninsula is gorgeous and in my opinion, the most beautiful place on the entire island. I loved the drive along the coast to Las Terrenas from Cabarete, and somewhere on that north east shore, we stopped at this beautiful beach that had a huge parking lot, some development (bathrooms, change rooms), and colorful cottages just off the shore. Playa Bonita maybe, but that is near Las Terrenas. Don't quote me on that. I have pictures, and should upload to confirm the name. It was picturesque, seemed relatively new-ish, and very quiet. Worth stopping off there on your way through.
We took the trip you mention in 2015, and I remember the vibe in Las Terrenas was similar to Cabarete. Lots of expats (mostly French), restaurants lining the shore, kind of artsy even. Everyone drove ATVs on the road between the restaurants and the beach.
I was in Las Galeras in 2013. At that time, it was a sleepy little Dominican fishing town. The people were extremely kind and helpful, and it definitely didn't have an expat influence at all back then.

If you are a beach person, Playa Rincon. If you are the adventure type, Playa Fronton. I liked the El Limon waterfall, but had only been to Damajagua prior to that, so may have been a bit starry eyed.
If you are a budget traveler, I can recommend a great place to stay near El Limon. If you are not a budget traveler, but like adventure, I always though it would be cool to stay at the Dominican Tree House Village near Samana.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
. I loved the drive along the coast to Las Terrenas from Cabarete, and somewhere on that north east shore, we stopped at this beautiful beach that had a huge parking lot, some development (bathrooms, change rooms), and colorful cottages just off the shore.

That sounds like Playa Grande, between Rio San Juan and Cabrera.

Las Galeras is relatively quiet. Only one bar on the beach, but it is good for boat trips to the other secluded beaches nearby.

Las Terrenas is much bigger, with some bars/restaurants on the beach, but not like Cabarete. The only place to sit and watch the world go by with a beer on the street seems to be outside a colmado.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Las Terrenas is also much more spread out . Many different beaches to enjoy, each with its own personality .
Las Galeras as was said is very quiet and laid back .. If you like AI's , Grand Paradise is very nice, and hopefully you have a 4wd Rental Car and can then explore .. You can even do Playa Rincon on your own ( make sure you go both left, to the river , and to the Right as well) , plus a lot more you can see with rental car .. Samana city is only like 20 mins, backtracking .
I Hear Las Terrenas is usually very quiet , which surprised me because for Easter Week its quite Possibly the Biggest loudest Party Atmosphere you will ever experience .. Its absolutely Awesome, if you are into that . Everyone should do it at least once .
Las Galeras is always quiet , and laid back . Complete decompress, as i like to describe it . Definitely take a boat ride to Rincon, or Fronton from Plajita,, lots of fun if you like boat rides .. negotiate your prices well .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That sounds like Playa Grande, between Rio San Juan and Cabrera.

Las Galeras is relatively quiet. Only one bar on the beach, but it is good for boat trips to the other secluded beaches nearby.

Las Terrenas is much bigger, with some bars/restaurants on the beach, but not like Cabarete. The only place to sit and watch the world go by with a beer on the street seems to be outside a colmado.

Not a HUGE parking lot at Playa Grande.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Las Terrenas is also much more spread out . Many different beaches to enjoy, each with its own personality .
Las Galeras as was said is very quiet and laid back .. If you like AI's , Grand Paradise is very nice, and hopefully you have a 4wd Rental Car and can then explore .. You can even do Playa Rincon on your own ( make sure you go both left, to the river , and to the Right as well) , plus a lot more you can see with rental car .. Samana city is only like 20 mins, backtracking .
I Hear Las Terrenas is usually very quiet , which surprised me because for Easter Week its quite Possibly the Biggest loudest Party Atmosphere you will ever experience .. Its absolutely Awesome, if you are into that . Everyone should do it at least once .
Las Galeras is always quiet , and laid back . Complete decompress, as i like to describe it . Definitely take a boat ride to Rincon, or Fronton from Plajita,, lots of fun if you like boat rides .. negotiate your prices well .

I would avoid LT on a weekend... full of Capitalanos.... noisy and crowded

Weekdays will allow free roaming...

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
I have decided to go to Las Galeras. It seems to be more what I am looking for. I will take suggestions on restaurants, bars, excursions, & etc

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...leras_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

The best you will get. On top of a mountain, the owners are French and food is good. Go before sunset. But do not take your car up there. Call for a reservation and either take a taxi that knows the place. They all do, or ask the owner to pick you up at the bottom.

The view is spectacular.

I second that (everything).
View great.
Food good.
Ride up the hill in your own car - a big mistake! (I foolishly tried it in a Toyota Corolla sedan on a dry day. Wheels spinning multiple times. Needed several “running starts” to make it halfway up. Got stuck. Then had to back up in reverse for quite a distance before I could find a spot on the road to turn around).

You might also want to try “El Cabitio”. Rustic outdoor deck Resturant Thats right on the cliffs overlooking the bay. Decent food (a little expensive though), but fantastic sunsets. And while it’s a bit out of the way, it’s a lot easier to drive to.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
I have decided to go to Las Galeras. It seems to be more what I am looking for. I will take suggestions on restaurants, bars, excursions, & etc

So how was your trip if you don't mind sharing? I'm going to the peninsula for Semana Santa and would love to hear your experience.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So how was your trip if you don't mind sharing? I'm going to the peninsula for Semana Santa and would love to hear your experience.

Are you going to LG or LT ??? because if you are going to LT for Semana Santa .. you better be prepared... Its like nothing you have ever experienced , the action starts wed ,and its is going to get Loud . Also bring your " A" Game in terms of driving around .

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
I would stay 3 nights in Samana and 2 nights in LT. I'm thinking it's a better idea tgt Samana the week prior to semana santa and going to Bahia de las Aguilas on SS instead, might be lest hectic in the southwest.

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
I am in Cabarete now, leaving for Las Galeras this Sunday returning Thursday to Cabarete .

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I am going to be in Cabarete next month for 30 days. I am planning on taking a small 4 night trip to either Las Terranes or Las Galeras. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I would love to hear your opinions and any recommendations on either.

[video=youtube_share;LUgK2WXVXE0]https://youtu.be/LUgK2WXVXE0[/video]