Temp to Permanent Residency - a tale of 220 days

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For whomever it may help, here's the process with timeline that I followed to change from temporary to permanent residency. 220 calendar days total.

I managed the entire process without assistance with exception of some clues from other DR1 threads - thanks, everyone!

Received residency & cedula that expire in 1 year

Cost: 28,100 + gasoline for various trips to Puerto Plata and one to the capital
600 buena conducta
5500 seguros patria
12000 residency
4500 medical test
3000 cedula
2500 peso 'fine' for overstay for leaving country in middle of the process with no valid residency

THE PROCESS

May 2, 2018
***the requirement to submit request for change to permanent status in advance has changed recently to allowing it to be uploaded online simultaneously with all other documents***

Took letter requesting change of status from temp to perm to Puerto Plata immigration office. Copy of cédula, residency card, and passport photo page requested. Given number and told to call in 2 weeks. Nothing done online at this point. Told not necessary until response received.

Format for letter was

**Date**

Director General de Migración
Presente

De mi mayor consideración:

Por medio de la presente, **el/ella** que subscribe, **your name**, de nacionalidad **your nationality**, residente de **your address**, **your occupation**, habiendo cumplido con las renovaciones anuales requeridas de su residencia temporal numero **your residency number** pone a su consideración su solicitud de residencia permanente.

Muy atentamente,

SIGNATURE

** your name**
** your phone number**
** your email**

May 21
Went to Migración website and filled out form with personal info

May 21 - Buena conducta
Online at Portal.servicios.pgr.gob.do paid for cert de no antecedentes penales online and saved it in pdf format. Can also email it. Either need banco reservas number or pay it online which I did. Cost, 600 pesos

May 23 called office. No response from the capital regarding my letter requesting the change.
May 29 called office, yes have response.
May 30 pick up response.

Now need to upload all docs online and wait for response.

Jun 6 Seguros Patria in Puerto Plata paid for repatriation insurance 5462 pesos

Jun 7 uploaded everything including 6 months of bank activity. i don't have a Dominican account so uploaded 6 months of a US account without translation.
Jun 8 receive ok on website to take docs to pto pta.

Jun 11 in Puerto Plata they took original of all documents plus 3 fotos front/side, one full copy of all passport pages, 4 residency and 4 cédula and 4 passport principal page copies

Now docs go to capital and wait for email saying to go pay and do medical.

Jun 20 had been told to wait for email in 4 days saying go pay. Never arrived. Decided to check online and the ok to pay was there ready to be printed out. Had today’s date - not sure it was ready earlier and date of form was just set to day I printed it.

Estado de revisión had changed to evaluación completada

Jun 21
Went to Puerto Plata and paid 12000 + 4500 medical.
Get receipt. KEEP THIS RECEIPT UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR RESIDENCY CARD! It's needed at DGM at the end of the entire process Take passport & receipt for medical exam. 2 blocks down and other side of Calle Beller at Laboratorio Clínico Puerto Plata. X-ray, blood & urine samples, med exam (listen heart, lungs, temperature, medical questionnaire).

Was told to wait 10 days & call Puerto Plata to confirm they got the medical results... then wait to be notified.

July 3 exit Dr via POP airport. Won’t accept the submitted document list and payment receipt (as I was told they would). Showed that system said my residency expired and they had no option but to collect 2500 pesos for my 2 month stay. The “system” wouldn’t let them do anything else. They said submitting docs is no guarantee of receiving residency.

July 8 Never called to confirm med results delivered, but examen médico status online changed from en proceso to completado. Estado de revisión changed from blank to en depuracion y revisión legal.

Nov 2 status changed to “-“

Nov 19 status changed to “en revision final”

Nov 28 status changed to “Revision Final Complete”
Fecha de Emisión changed to “VISITAR DGM 07/12/2018 A RETIRAR SU CARNET Y/O CARTA CONSTANCIA
(EN CASO DE NO VISITAR EN LA FECHA ESTABLECIDA, TENDRÁ UNA PENALIDAD DE RD$1,000.00)”

No email or phone call received.

Dec 7 Trip to DGM.
Arrived 8am. Number 25 in line for renewals. Inside at 8:10am.

9:10 took receipt at window 12 told wait for name called for foto at window 6.

10:45 window 12. Review documents and sign book. Got letter to take to get cedula.

11am luperon to get cedula. Need passport and old cedula. 3000 pesos for one year.

11:30. Cedula obtained
12:00. Back to DGM
Made a copy of cedula and passport at DGM window inside waiting room. Submit back at window 12. Wait to call name for foto window 6
1:20 called to take foto from window 6

2:10 Called to window 12 for card and sign book and wanted to see original 6 month old receipt from Puerto Plata again

DONE! (until next year)

Last edited by a moderator:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Correction

Trip to DGM should read Dec 7, not Nov 7.
Also to avoid confusion, at 11am on the 7th, went to Avenida Luperon for the cedula, not Luperon (the city).