Finally, some good news for the North Coast

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Anybody figure out where in Puerto Plata yet?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Anybody figure out where in Puerto Plata yet?

I was told a while back there was a deal in the making for W-Hotels on the old Azurro lot in Cabarete. Schembri-Sant’s involvement would seem to confirm it as I believe he is one of the owners of that property.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Marriott has much experience in the DR, although basically limited to city hotels geared towards business travelers in Santo Domingo. I think their positive experience with the JW Marriott Santo Domingo hotel, which is a top notch place, open their eyes for DR´s potential as a luxury tourism destination.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was told a while back there was a deal in the making for W-Hotels on the old Azurro lot in Cabarete. Schembri-Sant’s involvement would seem to confirm it as I believe he is one of the owners of that property.

Where is that in Cabarete?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

They don't have any beach front(?).

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Yes, In a woodsy area near a bunch of shacks all selling the same stuff, overlooking a nice bay.

My other guestimate would be just outside of Puerto Plata. Plenty of room either side of Playa Dorada. Decent infrastructure, traffic patterns good, stores, and close to airport, close to marina, restaurants, etc.

I doubt it's going to Cabarete. They would have to deal with the 3-story limit rule, right? Plus the traffic problem that isn't getting fixed in the near future.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Yes, In a woodsy area near a bunch of shacks all selling the same stuff, overlooking a nice bay.

My other guestimate would be just outside of Puerto Plata. Plenty of room either side of Playa Dorada. Decent infrastructure, traffic patterns good, stores, and close to airport, close to marina, restaurants, etc.

I doubt it's going to Cabarete. They would have to deal with the 3-story limit rule, right? Plus the traffic problem that isn't getting fixed in the near future.

This was announced by the President, tourism and environment. I think most of what these hotel developers want will get approved and infrastructure will be improved as well. I think we will find out the specific locations soon. It is very good news for the area.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This was announced by the President, tourism and environment. I think most of what these hotel developers want will get approved and infrastructure will be improved as well. I think we will find out the specific locations soon. It is very good news for the area.

I agree, it's great news. But I thought the 3-story limit was a bigger issue in Cab because they fear it will change the wind patterns?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
They bought my 2 lots. Second row back from the beach with no ocean access and due to private ocean front properties will not allow access and no ocean entrée due to it being aricife cliffs. They paid 5 x's my asking price.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
They bought my 2 lots. Second row back from the beach with no ocean access and due to private ocean front properties will not allow access and no ocean entrée due to it being aricife cliffs. They paid 5 x's my asking price.

tell us where mr full of it

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
HOTELS LIKE CRAZY!

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC LUXURY HOTEL SEGMENT BOOMING
WITH NEW PROJECTS ON NORTH COAST
Deal signed to bring three Marriott International luxury flags – Ritz-Carlton Reserve, W Hotels and The Luxury Collection – to the country
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - December 10, 2018 – In a move that will set a new standard for tourism and luxury in the Dominican Republic, visionary real estate developers The Ocean Club Group today announced a plan to develop two new luxury hotels and rebrand an existing one, representing three of Marriott International’s most captivating luxury brands: The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, and Ritz-Carlton Reserve. These projects are aimed to rebrand the North Coast of the island into a luxury destination.
With an investment of over 350 million dollars and expected to create more than 2,000 jobs, these hotels will elevate the hospitality offering in the market and create a new niche for upscale tourism in the country. The distinctive offerings at each property – and the stunning backdrop of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic – are aimed at establishing the country as one of the most desirable luxury destinations in the Caribbean.
Marriott International currently operates six properties in the Dominican Republic and will offer even more options for travelers with the introduction of the three unique luxury resorts.
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to bring three of Marriott’s extraordinary and distinctive brands to the Dominican Republic – and the stunning North Coast, in particular. This unique assembly of luxury properties will make the area a truly irresistible destination for visitors from around the world,” said Laurent de Kousemaeker, Chief Development Officer, Marriott International Caribbean and Latin America. “Marriott International is excited to expand its presence in the Dominican Republic, and we look forward to the day when we can welcome guests to enjoy the natural beauty, warmth and culture of the country.”
The Ocean Club Group has, for the past couple of years, been pushing to redefine tourism on the North Coast of the island. In 2014, the group was the first to raise the bar, by opening the first luxury hotel in the area; this brought a new level of service that motivated the development of future luxury projects on the North Coast.
“We look forward to working with a prestious brand such as Marriott International. Our aim is to transform the North Coast of the Dominican Republic by placing it on the map for luxury travel,” said Ian Schembri-Sant, CEO of The Ocean Club Group, “We see the North Coast as a raw, precious stone that, if polished, will shine brightly.”
The North Coast’s unspoiled and natural beauty is what makes the region so special. The three projects will strongly focus on preserving the surrounding environments of the resorts in order to give the guests a real Dominican experience.
About the properties
Expected to open in 2019, The Ocean Club, a Luxury Collection Resort, Playa Imbert will boast 64 stunning guestrooms. The property is only a 12-minute drive from the airport and is ideally situated right next to the town’s main hub, El Batey. Standout F&B offerings and luxurious amenities will showcase The Luxury Collection’s signature focus on bringing the destination to life.
W Dominican Republic will bring the brand’s signature bold style to the destination. Situated in action-packed Cabarete, W guests will be able to seek out their own adventure whether windsurfing, kitesurfing, just plain surfing or exploring the area’s famed nightlife. Slated to open in 2021, the W brand’s 201-room hotel will bring multiple restaurants, bars, and signature sites to locals and global guests alike. Like everything W does, the brand is fusing its playful, vibrant design with distinctive local flair to show off all the region has to offer. W Dominican Republic will bring a tropically-inspired vibe to all aspects of the planned hotel from the design of dynamic public spaces and expansive suites to handcrafted cocktails and decadent dining.
Today, there are just three Ritz-Carlton Reserves in the world; set apart from crowded tourist locales and other luxury hotels, Ritz-Carlton Reserve properties are micro-destinations that showcase the natural beauty of their geography. The Reserve experience is deeply immersive, so guests can easily make these magical corners of the world their own. The Ritz-Carlton Reserve in the Dominican Republic is expected to offer 80 guest rooms and suites and will be located East of Cabarete. Currently planned to open in 2022, the Ritz-Carlton Reserve will also offer guests the opportunity to explore the region’s diverse ecosystems and culture through programming presented by Jean-Michel Cousteau’s Ambassadors of the Environment.