Hillbilly...you there?

jch58

May 3, 2002
Hey. I got a few questions and I know you're the man to answer them. You live in the DR right? Well what interent service do you have? I mean I know Codetel offers it right and probably Tricom but are these just dial up services? Is there anything such as DSL or a cable connection that is possible in the DR? Just curious...I figured dial up is tedious but let me know. Also how much does it cost (pesos dominicanos) and is it available anywhere or only in larger cities.

Thanks. Hey...is this how you spell the Dominican greeting..."wepa?" just testing....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have Codetel Flash, which Robert tells me is a DSL service.

They have specials on the installation of this system, and like a lot of things here you have to diddle and bargain a bit.

This past weekend they were giving away free installation, a free modem and a video camara with the system.

Costs are about 1200 a month, plus the data service, plus the phone line. Comes to about 2000 a month for a residential installation. This is not the Bible I could be off a bit.

As for availability, DSL is available in just about all areas, but you have to ask your local office if the central switchboard can handle it. Your local office will know...

Uepa is the correct spelling....

Uepa! Qu? carro!

HB

needs_a_shave.gif

jch58

May 3, 2002
Thanks Hillbilly...you're the man.

I believe the Dominican greeting is spelled "huepa" with an 'h.'

Take care.

jch58

May 3, 2002
It's impossible to start a word with a dipthong. That's one of the reasons the beautiful silent 'H" exists in Spanish.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
That is true, it is impossible to start a word with a dipthong. But I have seen it spelled wepa as well...

jch58

May 3, 2002
The only time the letter 'w' is used in Spanish is for words that are carried over from English such as "walkie-talkie", etc. The whah sound is never produced from a 'w' in Spanish. That's specifically what the 'ue' dipthong does. If you saw it spelled 'wepa' it was spelled wrong which is very often the case with this word among native speakers.