As a newbie to DR (specifically Sosua), should I use taxis or Uber to get around?

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
Hi, I am thinking about flying into POP and either heading to Costambar or Sosua :). It seems like scams are hugely prevalent for both taxis and Uber. I have read that a lot of Uber drivers cancel fares on you, sometimes mid-travel, or request to "double dip" and request that you pay in cash along with the Uber fare. Should I just pay a taxi their higher fare rates just to avoid the headache of potential Uber scams?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You will be able to find a reliable driver here....

Keep his number.... use him whenever possible
your fears will be gone
Someone will give a name...I'm not from that area... but you'll get a good suggestion

Safe trips home at nights....todo

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
You'll be hard pressed to find an Uber driver at POP... Your at the mercy of the taxi association. Most will charge $25-35 for a ride into Sosua. PM and I will give you a dependable taxi driver

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
You'll be hard pressed to find an Uber driver at POP... Your at the mercy of the taxi association. Most will charge $25-35 for a ride into Sosua. PM and I will give you a dependable taxi driver

Thank you for the information. I am interested in the taxi driver suggestion but I can't PM for some reason.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Four more posts and you can PM.

Uber us unreliable and spotty in Sosua. No drivers at night and at times throughout the day. Moer drivers closer to Puerto Plata but still no guarantees at odd hours.

The uber app is your friend. If you have a problem, rate the driver accordingly and lodge a complaint through the app.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
taxi mafia has a strong hold on the north coast. sosua is mostly walkable and barba negra has all the merchandise on the spot. stick to taxis for the few rides you will need.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
What is your obsession with taxis?

Barba Negra will arrange your taxi from POP. Yes, they add a small surcharge but not worth the hassle of trying to do anything different. After travelling you will be only too grateful to be met and got to your "hotel" as quickly and comfortably as possible.

When leaving for the airport from Sosua you will have had plenty of time to ask around and get the best price.

Apart from that you have no need for taxis. Everything in both Costambar and Sosua is walkable or, at worst, a short cheap moto ride. If you want to visit Puerto Plata city or Cabarete for a change of scenery you can use public transport which is dirt cheap.

karmatourer

Nov 15, 2018
What is your obsession with taxis?

Barba Negra will arrange your taxi from POP. Yes, they add a small surcharge but not worth the hassle of trying to do anything different. After travelling you will be only too grateful to be met and got to your "hotel" as quickly and comfortably as possible.

When leaving for the airport from Sosua you will have had plenty of time to ask around and get the best price.

Apart from that you have no need for taxis. Everything in both Costambar and Sosua is walkable or, at worst, a short cheap moto ride. If you want to visit Puerto Plata city or Cabarete for a change of scenery you can use public transport which is dirt cheap.

I agree almost completely,except some folks on their 1st visit may be a bit skittish using public transport,as easy as it is. So a taxi ride or 2 may change their mind.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
No. Just take a taxi, or arrange for a ride from whichever lodging provider you are using. Usually, they can make all the necessary arrangements, and in some cases, the ride may be free.

johnbian8308

Nov 11, 2018
got it, thanks. I really hate to pay $25 for a short ride but oh well, it is better than getting stuck at the airport

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
For some Reason POP ( the Airport ) is and always has been different than like STI Airport into the City . where its 700 pesos right now , and used to be 450 a while a go .. you can still get it for 500-600 if you are a good negotiator. or know the little tricks , but those tricks don't work at POP.
POP was always $25, or $20 if you called someone you knew.
Yes your Hotel can pick you up for Free, as can Car Rental companies from outside if you got that hooked up, but is more like for your future trips , not on your first ..
Not sure what Uber Rates are ..but if you get a ride for $20 ,especially at night .. just take it already and be done with it .

johnbian8308

Nov 11, 2018
In the Uber app, airport to Sosua is like 150 peso, but I don't know if there will be cars picking me up at all. I am staying at Anton Reef at Sosua, they say they can pick me up for $25, same price as taxi..

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Forget Uber app in Sosua, you need to pay the taxi mafia. If you are a good haggler and can speak Spanish you can bring the price down, otherwise pay it and don't think about it. Think of how much you spend on a night out or sometimes on the beach buying drinks and food etc., this is nothing to waste your time on and possibly miss your flight....!

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
In Sosua across from the gas station,the public cars will deal all day,got a guy for 2000 pesos all day to playa grande in Rio San Jaun,taxis wanted 5000 to 6000

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have lived in DR for 8 years and I would never advise any newcomer to use guaguas. Much safer to get taxis, particularly Ubers, there is very little chance of anything being stolen or drivers trying to pull any tricks.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
One of my staff (Dominican) jumped in a logo'd taxi in Santo Domingo the other day at 9am. After she said where she wanted to go, the driver took her another route, then got a gun out and pointed it at her and told her to keep quiet. Drove her to a shady part of town, where a young guy got in the car, hit her, stole her handbag, ripped off her jewelry and luckily let her out. Petrifying. Police didn't do anything, just told her she was crazy to get into a taxi on the street. Much much safer with Uber, I would strongly recommend it.