Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most prevalent scams that newbies to DR (Sosua specifically) could fall for?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Most prevalent scams that newbies to DR (Sosua specifically) could fall for?

Hi, I am planning a trip next year to Sosua and I was wondering if anyone could share what they believe to be the most prevalent scams that perhaps a newbie to the DR may be susceptible? I have heard unfortunate scams ranging from the relatively tame and harmless tourist (gringo) prices, Uber scams due to the power taxi mob, and then several deposit scams for those who rent properties during their stay in DR. Would love to hear any suggestions on what to look for and how to handle yourself if you're caught in a scam. Also, are scams from officers a thing in the DR?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

From looking at your multiple paranoid posts I would suggest that you stay where you are. You are safe there...........

3. Dislikes Sosuaplaya disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    From looking at your multiple paranoid posts I would suggest that you stay where you are. You are safe there...........
    Thanks. Noted.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm guessing that the biggest scam you will encounter is the girls whispering sweet "papi, dame tu leche" into your ear so that they can finish with you and move on to the next customer asap. don't fall for it, make them work for that money.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you pre-negotiate the prices for any goods or services, if they are not printed on a menu, and you will be fine.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i'm guessing that the biggest scam you will encounter is the girls whispering sweet "papi, dame tu leche" into your ear so that they can finish with you and move on to the next customer asap. don't fall for it, make them work for that money.
    Haha, good advice. Will take it to heart.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Make sure you pre-negotiate the prices for any goods or services, if they are not printed on a menu, and you will be fine.
    Thanks for the head's up. Will be aware of this when I go down.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sosuaplaya View Post
    how to handle yourself if you're caught in a scam.
    Be calm and take it as a lesson learned. Don't get agressive - or you'll lose at least your peace of mind for that day.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Many that visit here do stupid things that they would never do back home. Use your common sense and if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...........its either a duck or maybe one of those 2 tons of fun girls waddling down the sidewalks of Sosua.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    The most controlable scam is beer-drinks. When you know the price, do not allow the staff to clear the table of glasses/beer bottles until you are ready to leave. Some establishments pad the bill with "extra" drinks. Empty bottles and glasses on the table provide you 100 proof of what you have consumed.

When staff observe you doing this they will catch the drift you are not a naive visitor.

Regards,

PJT

12. Likes jinty05 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast