Most prevalent scams that newbies to DR (Sosua specifically) could fall for?

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
Hi, I am planning a trip next year to Sosua and I was wondering if anyone could share what they believe to be the most prevalent scams that perhaps a newbie to the DR may be susceptible? I have heard unfortunate scams ranging from the relatively tame and harmless tourist (gringo) prices, Uber scams due to the power taxi mob, and then several deposit scams for those who rent properties during their stay in DR. Would love to hear any suggestions on what to look for and how to handle yourself if you're caught in a scam. Also, are scams from officers a thing in the DR?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From looking at your multiple paranoid posts I would suggest that you stay where you are. You are safe there...........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm guessing that the biggest scam you will encounter is the girls whispering sweet "papi, dame tu leche" into your ear so that they can finish with you and move on to the next customer asap. don't fall for it, make them work for that money.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Make sure you pre-negotiate the prices for any goods or services, if they are not printed on a menu, and you will be fine.

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
i'm guessing that the biggest scam you will encounter is the girls whispering sweet "papi, dame tu leche" into your ear so that they can finish with you and move on to the next customer asap. don't fall for it, make them work for that money.

Haha, good advice. Will take it to heart.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Many that visit here do stupid things that they would never do back home. Use your common sense and if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...........its either a duck or maybe one of those 2 tons of fun girls waddling down the sidewalks of Sosua.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Make sure you pre-negotiate the prices for any goods or services, if they are not printed on a menu, and you will be fine.

The most controlable scam is beer-drinks. When you know the price, do not allow the staff to clear the table of glasses/beer bottles until you are ready to leave. Some establishments pad the bill with "extra" drinks. Empty bottles and glasses on the table provide you 100 proof of what you have consumed.

When staff observe you doing this they will catch the drift you are not a naive visitor.

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The most controlable scam is beer-drinks. When you know the price, do not allow the staff to clear the table of glasses/beer bottles until you are ready to leave. Some establishments pad the bill with "extra" drinks. Empty bottles and glasses on the table provide you 100 proof of what you have consumed.

When staff observe you doing this they will catch the drift you are not a naive visitor.

Regards,

PJT

simple solution...pay for each drink individually. they bring a beer, you pay for it. do not wait for numbers to add up, because they always lose count...in their favor.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
You should face your fear as soon as you arrive at the airport. Get all your money changed at the airport cambio, tip the baggage handler for putting your stuff through the x-ray machine, tip the guy outside for finding you a taxi in a sea of taxi drivers and make sure to tip the driver for only charging $25 for the 10 minute trip.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Like what PJT said. Keep you beer bottles on your table (or underneath it). Proof of consumption. As you walk around, smile and say Hola to everyone you make eye contact with.....well with the exception of the "tigres". A "fist bump" or a "head nod" is what I always do. "bueno"! They don't forget you and can be allies if needed. I do this ALL the time for the last ten years! (I must be the friendliest person around but it works for me)! Don't be arrogant. For any type of service, never pay 100% up front! Usually 50% is standard. If you pay 100%, you will only do it once and learn that lesson quickly. Folks here are friendly! I Love this country!! Your mileage may vary!! Even after living here for 10 years, I still occasionally get home and say "Oh Crap! They got me"! Respectfully

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
You should face your fear as soon as you arrive at the airport. Get all your money changed at the airport cambio, tip the baggage handler for putting your stuff through the x-ray machine, tip the guy outside for finding you a taxi in a sea of taxi drivers and make sure to tip the driver for only charging $25 for the 10 minute trip.

Wow, what a plethora of bad info. NEVER exchange $ at the airport; you will not get a good rate. go straight to caribe xpress or WU.
Also, how much luggage to you travel with that you need a baggage handler?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Wow, what a plethora of bad info. NEVER exchange $ at the airport; you will not get a good rate. go straight to caribe xpress or WU.
Also, how much luggage to you travel with that you need a baggage handler?

With your top Security Clearance I would have thought you could read right through that veiled Sarcasm..

lol
This Thread is too good ...
Some good advice though... Hope the OP takes it

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
With your top Security Clearance I would have thought you could read right through that veiled Sarcasm..

lol
This Thread is too good ...
Some good advice though... Hope the OP takes it

ok, busted.
BTW, haven't had a TS/SCI in over 23 years.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
ok, busted.
BTW, haven't had a TS/SCI in over 23 years.

Well, you have a GOOD sense of Humor , I will give you that ..

but yes .. as you said ,, changing ALL the money at Air port,, or ANY money BAD IDEA
other than maybe for Drinks etc. but they take USD at the Airport ..so no Cambio at Airport .. Just BAD idea.

Sosuaplaya

Nov 29, 2018
How much should a taxi fare from POP to Sosua cost? From STI to Sosua or STI to the bus station? I was thinking I may fly into STI and take a bus to Sosua but I would only do that if I know the correct fare prices for the trip.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
prices from POP airport can be seen here:

25rcoc1.jpg

i believe they did not change and anyways, they are clearly displayed in front of the taxi stand. do not tip the driver. he's already skinning your left testicle by overcharging.
from STI airport take uber, it works pretty well in santiago area.

as far as the scams go, no different here than in other tourist destinations. trust your guts: if you think something is a scam - walk away. easy peasy.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
How much should a taxi fare from POP to Sosua cost? From STI to Sosua or STI to the bus station? I was thinking I may fly into STI and take a bus to Sosua but I would only do that if I know the correct fare prices for the trip.

I have a feeling you will not enjoy your visit to the DR a lot because you are so worried about scams and want to know every small detail...live a little and relax, you only live once!
Just my 2 cents...