Santiago Oeste

What do you think about the creation of Santiago Oeste?

• This will definitely improve the lives of the people that live in western Santiago.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • There goes my tax money!!!

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I don’t know what to think or care.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently its has been approved the splitting of Santiago de los Caballeros to create the municipality of Santiago Oeste (West Santiago). The only thing that needs to be done to make it official is for Danilo Medina to sign the document.

The new municipality will encompass much of western Santiago, including the large Cienfuego area. The politicians claim that this will help the neighborhoods of the new municipality get better services.

What’s the opinion of DR1ers regarding the creation of new municipalities?

Will the people of the new Santiago Oeste municipality see an improvement in their daily living?

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think it could help improve quality of life for
the folks living over there. It could also turn out
to be another way for corrupt politicians to steal
more money that should have been used for
something else.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just another way move to consolidate political power with botellas.

Another political subdivision = more patronage jobs.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Just another way move to consolidate political power with botellas.

Another political subdivision = more patronage jobs.

Not only that, but it is a clear stab against Abel Martinez on the part of the central gov. for his support of Leonel. Just another stage in the Danilo vs Leonel power spat.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If they keep taking away the poor barrios from Santiago, statistically Santiago proper will become the richest city in the country. It will surpass Santo Domingo proper (the National District), a return to the established order before Trujillo rose to power and gave Santo Domingo the economic power it was missing because Santiago was the economic capital for the past 200-something years. lol

‘Santiago Oeste’ encompasses what until recently was the largest poor area of the city.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
more institutions? more botellas. money's to be made on that deal and the barrio rats will see none of it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was the very first one to vote in this poll.

I am surprised that there are people that even consider that things will be better if they really create West Santiago.

the above posters are correct in noting that there is just going to be more and more slots at the public trough for more and more corrupt politicians.

I also think that there is some good thought behind the idea that this is a slap at our mayor who came out a few days ago as a rabid supporter of Leonel (and a probable running mate?). What a lot of folks do not realize is that Abel is from Cienfuegos and he has a power base over there. Makes for interesting plays in the political arena.

It is seriously a really poor idea.

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to the rumor mill, many neighborhoods in the southern part of the city now want to become a municipal district.

Most poor households in Santiago are on the western and southern parts of the city.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was the very first one to vote in this poll.

I am surprised that there are people that even consider that things will be better if they really create West Santiago.

the above posters are correct in noting that there is just going to be more and more slots at the public trough for more and more corrupt politicians.

I also think that there is some good thought behind the idea that this is a slap at our mayor who came out a few days ago as a rabid supporter of Leonel (and a probable running mate?). What a lot of folks do not realize is that Abel is from Cienfuegos and he has a power base over there. Makes for interesting plays in the political arena.

It is seriously a really poor idea.

HB

Interesting. I was thinking if it helps to improve the quality of life for the
residents over there than its worth a shot but you make some very good points.

Island Dragon

Feb 2, 2019
After reading the rest of the post I think that look like a bad idea and pretty much just plain innecessry 'cause is may only benefit a bunch of politicians.