Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POP airport Uber experience

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neargale View Post
    It is good to remember that taxi owners have to buy a very expensive franchise to be able to "stand" at a place. So I understand them not being happy when a vehicle picks up right where they were waiting and charges cut-throat prices. Speaking of cut-throat, I have to wonder about some of the really cheap prices quoted above. And I also think that only one missed flights on departure will nullify all the cheap prices.
    I have taken Uber in Ottawa Canada and 2 times out of 3 have had bad experience. Yes, fare was adjusted after I complained but on my last exit I took a regular taxi.
    I think here it is good to have a back up plan. If UBER canceled especially when going to the airport I would allow myself enough time to call a Taxi.

I have used Ubers in Houston, Austin, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Besides asking drivers to turn up the AC I have never had any issues. I did have a surcharge in Austin because it was when the bars closed and everyone was taking an Uber.

I plan on trying Uber here before I leave to test it out.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Too funny, when by themselves these guys are nothing but a
    bunch of p*ssies. How do I know? While walking through the
    heart of Santiago they are constantly in my face yelling "taxi, taxi!"
    So I just look at them and yell " Uber, Uber!" Trust me, no one
    plays that tough guy role when they're all alone.
    I hear that ..
    but collectively , they burn not only tires in the street, and sometimes peoples Cars .

aint nobody on Vacation got time for that ..

3. Likes IslandDreaming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Too funny, when by themselves these guys are nothing but a
    bunch of p*ssies. How do I know? While walking through the
    heart of Santiago they are constantly in my face yelling "taxi, taxi!"
    So I just look at them and yell " Uber, Uber!" Trust me, no one
    plays that tough guy role when they're all alone.
    Be careful. I've seen those taxi guys hurt a gringo for what they deemed to be disrespectful.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Be careful. I've seen those taxi guys hurt a gringo for what they deemed to be disrespectful.
    I got a taste of it at the Parada Samana when I told them I'm waiting for Uber. But just verbal :-)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    I think here it is good to have a back up plan. If UBER canceled especially when going to the airport I would allow myself enough time to call a Taxi.

I have used Ubers in Houston, Austin, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Besides asking drivers to turn up the AC I have never had any issues. I did have a surcharge in Austin because it was when the bars closed and everyone was taking an Uber.

I plan on trying Uber here before I leave to test it out.
    I used uber motoconcho last time I was in santo domingo. They have an extra helmet.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mofongoloco View Post
    I used uber motoconcho last time I was in santo domingo. They have an extra helmet.
    Does the helmet protect broken legs and other limbs?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    I used to have a 15 passenger van up north with an American driver. The going was good until he showed up at the PP airport 3-4 picking people up.

They scared him enough (and he's a big guy) that he wouldn't go to the airport anymore.

A few weeks later the same happened at the SD airport.

It was great money, but not enough to worry about losing the van.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I used to have a 15 passenger van up north with an American driver. The going was good until he showed up at the PP airport 3-4 picking people up.

They scared him enough (and he's a big guy) that he wouldn't go to the airport anymore.

A few weeks later the same happened at the SD airport.

It was great money, but not enough to worry about losing the van.
    There was a guy a while back, on another board, who wanted to start a STRETCH LIMO Business .. taking the "Weekend High Roller" types out in STYLE .. pick them up at the Airport BIP Style, take them to the Villa .... and then even drive down Pedro Clisante, while pouring Krystal with their heads sticking out of the Sun Roof .. like that ..

I never laughed so hard in my life .. He had a whole Business plan and everything..
    Had Customers all lined up too.
    Poor lost soul, all that Ambition, and no direction in Life ...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Some 5-6 years ago I had a friend that come up with a "great" plan to rebuild a huge van...he could take 8-10 people with luggage. I told him several time not to interfer with the locals, the taxi mafia. One day when he picked up a big group of people at a hotel the mafia arrived with golf clubs and smashed his van completely with passengers in it. No, he is not on the island anymore...

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Does anyone know if Uber service will provide an SD to Las Terrenas ride?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast