Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: POP airport Uber experience

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcdmps View Post
    How many taxi drivers and their families do you think there are? A very small fraction of the population. Politicians and police chiefs would be the ones to eradicate this type of problem. People would have to let it be known to them that this problem will not be tolerated.
    How long have you lived here, and where do you live?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been coming to DR for many years (and been on quite a few overpriced taxi rides).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RV429 View Post
    The Caritos love the extra income Willy. I use them all the time for errands or to take me somewhere off their Route. Cheap and easy and many in Sosua have newer cars now which means I am comfortable in the front seat. All for a few hundred Pesos.
    Left Sosua several weeks ago for the airport at 5:30 am, I was told by the hotel manager to try a carrito at their station across from the Metro . So I offered him 300 pesos to airport and he could even drop me off at the outside parking ticket booth to avoid any issues with the taxi mafia. He laughed and said most are a sleep and you are paying a single fare which makes me as private as them. Strait to the departure sidewalk, and paid $6 plus tip and was happy he was right about no problem for him. After I left I saw him laughing and talking with the porters and 1 private taxi guy who just dropped of his fare.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaRum View Post
    Left Sosua several weeks ago for the airport at 5:30 am, I was told by the hotel manager to try a carrito at their station across from the Metro . So I offered him 300 pesos to airport and he could even drop me off at the outside parking ticket booth to avoid any issues with the taxi mafia. He laughed and said most are a sleep and you are paying a single fare which makes me as private as them. Strait to the departure sidewalk, and paid $6 plus tip and was happy he was right about no problem for him. After I left I saw him laughing and talking with the porters and 1 private taxi guy who just dropped of his fare.
    Thats a good example and thanks for sharing..

But , I think GOING to the Airport is a lot different than Picking someone up at the Airport ..
    IMHO, I think the taxi mafia considers those just arriving as the " lowest hanging, ripe" Fruit .. you are flush with cash, they assume, and they WILL push for max Pesos ...
    I have also been dropped off in the wee hours for an early flight . and yes no one is questioing the person dropping you off ..
    But Then have even a Close FRIEND with a Private car they own , come and pick you up at the Airport , any time , especially middle of the day.. they WILL get hassled .
    just saying.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am picked up EVERY SINGLE TIME... in my car by a driver....POP, AZS and SDQ

Never had an issue.....

6. Likes sylindr, chrisrose97 liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    I am picked up EVERY SINGLE TIME... in my car by a driver....POP, AZS and SDQ

Never had an issue.....
    We’ve been picked up at SDQ each and every trip, for 42 years, and never has anyone ever been hassled.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

8. Likes chrisrose97 liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i moved posts regarding airport transfers from cabanas thread to a more suitable one, you can continue recounting your experiences here.
    Last edited by dv8; 01-11-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: bad english fixed

North Coast Moderator

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrived in SDQ this month used Uber as always and never had a problem. Frequent user in STI and also never had a problem on too many trips to count. Only disappointment is no Uber in Punta Cana and I am forced to pay through the nose. Uber works great in the DR 90% of the time. The other 10% is dealt with quickly where refunds are indicated.

11. Likes chrisrose97 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234