Finally!: Google Street View vehicles arrive in the Dominican Republic

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Los vehículos de Google Street View llegan a República Dominicana

Los carros de Google Street View, como parte de su recorrido por varios países del mundo para mejorar la aplicación de Google Maps, han llegado a República Dominicana.

A partir de esta semana los vehículos de Google comenzarán a recolectar imágenes de Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo Este y Santiago de los Caballeros, incluyendo calles, lugares de interés público y patrimonial que, tras ser recopiladas y procesadas, darán vida a la función de Street View en Google Maps. Los mimos contarán con el apoyo del Ministerio de la Presidencia y del Instituto Nacional de Tránsito y Transporte Terrestre (INTRANT).

República dominicana es el 6to país de la región que contará con estas imágenes, disponibles para todo el mundo y que ayudan a mejorar los mapas en general del país.

Google Maps ha mapeado más de 220 países y territorios alrededor del mundo, permitiendo explorar distintos lugares con imágenes de 360º.

Google Street View permite realizar recorridos virtuales y comprobar las direcciones de restaurantes, visitar barrios o planear su próximo viaje al explorar los lugares antes de visitarlos. Esta funcionalidad también se encuentra disponible en Google Earth, así como en Google Maps para dispositivos móviles Android y en iOS.

Algunos beneficios

La recolección de imágenes para Street View en República Dominicana es de suma importancia, pues se convertirá en una herramienta con una gran variedad de usos para los diferentes usuarios. Los turistas, por ejemplo, podrán hacer planes de viaje y establecer recorridos luego de dar paseos virtuales por sitios emblemáticos. Del mismo modo puede ser de gran utilidad para un niño al estudiar o resolver una tarea o investigación de geografía o historia. Los negocios locales también se verán beneficiados de esta tecnología al poder insertar mapas de Google directamente en su página Web, permitiendo a sus clientes conocer la ubicación y fachada de sus comercios. Si a esto le sumamos la funcionalidad de Lugares de Google+, el descubrir nuevos lugares y compartir opiniones acerca de ellos se convierte en una experiencia social que beneficia tanto a los usuarios como a los propietarios de los negocios.

Sobre la privacidad

La privacidad forma parte importante de los principios que integran a Google, por ello en Street View sólo mostramos los mismos caminos que podrían observar al conducir o caminar por la calle.

Google ha desarrollado una tecnología que permite difuminar los rostros y las placas de los vehículos por respeto a la privacidad. Adicionalmente, ofrece herramientas de fácil acceso para que los usuarios puedan reportar imágenes que consideren inapropiadas o sensibles, las cuales serían revisadas y, posteriormente, retiradas.

Nos emociona poder iniciar esta primera etapa de recolección que forma parte del arduo proceso técnico que permitirá, después de un tiempo, poderles ofrecer los beneficios de Street View de Google Maps a los habitantes de República Dominicana, y a todos aquellos interesados en visitar este hermoso país. Los invitamos a conocer más acerca de esta funcionalidad en nuestro sitio de Street View de Google Maps.

https://listindiario.com/tecnologia...WEXsy1L9UQVyJohsjRo2rBNyNZDiUWkK7GvOF3lMq4264

English (google translated)
Google Street View vehicles arrive in the Dominican Republic

Google Street View cars, as part of their tour of several countries in the world to improve the Google Maps application, have reached the Dominican Republic.

Starting this week, Google vehicles will begin to collect images of Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo Este and Santiago de los Caballeros, including streets, public and heritage sites that, after being collected and processed, will bring the Street function to life View in Google Maps. The mimes will have the support of the Ministry of the Presidency and the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT).

The Dominican Republic is the 6th country in the region that will have these images, available for everyone and that help to improve the maps in general of the country.

Google Maps has mapped more than 220 countries and territories around the world, allowing you to explore different places with 360º images.

Google Street View allows you to make virtual tours and check restaurant addresses, visit neighborhoods or plan your next trip by exploring places before visiting them. This functionality is also available in Google Earth, as well as in Google Maps for Android and iOS mobile devices.

Some benefits

The collection of images for Street View in the Dominican Republic is very important, because it will become a tool with a wide variety of uses for different users. Tourists, for example, can make travel plans and set up tours after virtual tours of emblematic sites. In the same way, it can be very useful for a child when studying or solving a geography or history task or investigation. Local businesses will also benefit from this technology by being able to insert Google maps directly into their Web page, allowing their clients to know the location and façade of their stores. If we add to this the functionality of Google+ Places,

About privacy

Privacy is an important part of the principles that make up Google, so in Street View we only show the same ways you could observe when driving or walking down the street.

Google has developed a technology that allows the faces and license plates of vehicles to be blurred out of respect for privacy. Additionally, it offers easy access tools so that users can report images that they consider inappropriate or sensitive, which would be reviewed and subsequently removed.

We are excited to start this first stage of collection that is part of the arduous technical process that will allow, after a while, to offer the benefits of Google Maps Street View to the inhabitants of the Dominican Republic, and to all those interested in visiting this beautiful country . We invite you to learn more about this functionality on our Google Maps Street View site.

Reactions: NachoBroadway

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Blast from the past: Has anyone seen the google street view vehicles driving around?

I am curious to know if they are still recording street views.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Blast from the past: Has anyone seen the google street view vehicles driving around?

I haven't seen any streets on Google maps that have the Street View available.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Are they all in Santo Domingo? I've previously tried looking in Punta Cana, Las Galeras, Las Terrenas, Barahona, Bayahibe, Sosua, and Puerto Plata.
I don't know, that's why I was asking. The only ones I've seen so far is west Santo Domingo up to the Toll booths and Los Alcarrizos to the North. I don't know about SD east.
Edit: I just checked. many of the main roads east are viewable.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaPlaya

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
last time I checked there were lots in Santiago, even small side streets. In Puerto plata the entire malecon has it plus the street at the end that goes to the highway

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I don't know, that's why I was asking. The only ones I've seen so far is west Santo Domingo up to the Toll booths and Los Alcarrizos to the North. I don't know about SD east.
Edit: I just checked. many of the main roads east are viewable.
Ah okay. I was trying to look at stuff on smaller streets.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
last time I checked there were lots in Santiago, even small side streets. In Puerto plata the entire malecon has it plus the street at the end that goes to the highway
The only reason I knew they were in Los Alcarrizos was that a friend of mine who has a block factory told me he saw the truck go by the factory and later by his house.

I was sure he was confused about what he saw until I checked.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Pretty deep into Licey as well. I even found the place where I used to work.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

No.
Appears they were here (in Santaigo) prior to the pandemic as no one is wearing mask in the street view images.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I've previously tried looking in Punta Cana……

We’ve seen them once or twice on the 106 Punta Cana 23000 road …and if you look at the Google Maps for this road , they seem to have good 360 degrees street views of the road ..…most probably taken on a Sunday …during the lockdown…in partnership with CEPM…judging by the vehicle….

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Google Street View pickups are from Nelly, they have the logo in the back. In the Bávaro area it seems it was done by a third party, judgibg the images aren't as crisp and clear as they are around SD and Santiago.

At least they should cover the rest of the Vega Real, the stretch of the north coast stretching from Puerto Plata to Cabarete, Jarabacoa Valley, Constanza Valley, the entire Duarte highway from Santiago to SD and the cities of La Vega and Bonao, Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macoris, Villa Hermosa, La Romana, Bayahibe, Higüey, actual GSV in Bávaro/Punta Cana, maybe San Cristóbal, Baní, Palmar de Ocoa, Azua, San Juan, Barahona, SaJoMa, Montecristi, Dajabón, entitrety of Samaná peninsula. The areas where most of the population lives and areas of interest to tourists are covered there.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh yes, they should consider re-photographing the Núñez de Cáceres and Churchill/Jiménez Moya avenues in SD now that both are free of conchos. Plus, Churchill has the newer light fixtures.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Oh yes, they should consider re-photographing the Núñez de Cáceres and Churchill/Jiménez Moya avenues in SD now that both are free of conchos. Plus, Churchill has the newer light fixtures.
I'm guessing a lot of people aren't aware of it, but they have maintained a steady flow of projects of asphalting roads, installing electricity in rural areas, lighting highways, giving titles for property.. the list goes on and on.

That kind of stuff that usually happens the last few months before a presidential election, but they've been doing it steadily since day one. .

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NachoBroadway

Jan 3, 2017
This is great news. Google Maps keeps getting better navigating SD for the last few years. It does need improvements in differentiating traffic of the tunnel from the above ground exits.