Slick Rip Off

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
went to Playero today, and saw a product called K RLA brown sugar. anyone who enjoys baking knows that brown sugar is almost non existent in the DR. you can get white sugar, and that light brown stuff, but there is no brown sugar like Domino's or sugar like that.i have to get that sugar via ebay.. so, when i saw this product on the shelf, packed in a slick box, with a photo of dark sugar on the front, i thought i had hit paydirt. 108 pesos for three quarters of a pound.

well, when i got it home, and opened the box, it was the same light brown stuff you find in the colmado for 25 pesos per pound...

disgraceful..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We got some ‘good’ brown sugar...brown,brown sugar.
Nacional as I recall....sSto Domingo

i got some in La Sirena some years ago, and have never seen brown sugar in POP since then. i really thought i was in business, but this is just a scam. next time i go to Santiago i will try Nacional..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The product comes in two distinct boxes. One, a really dark brown box is traditional brown sugar. The other is a much lighter sugar with a lot less molasses in a lighter colored box. I went on a cookie baking spree several months ago and grabbed the last three boxes of brown brown sugar and this have not been restocked since.

There is a difference between the lighter brown sugar mentioned and the regular dark crystal sugar available next to the white sugar. If you try to compress both in a measuring cup, you'll notice the molasses effect. But agreed, if you aren't aware of the two boxed products, you can easily be mislead into thinking that the one of the shelf is what you are looking for.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I went to Playero the other day and it reminded me again why I don't like going to Playero.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How about using molasses instead of brown sugar, or if you could find it DR, sweet sorghum syrup ?
If anyone has seen sorghum syrup in the DR I'd be curious to try it (perhaps in Haiti ?)

Mom used to make sorghum cookies and to sweeten her chocolate cake and I can tell you the flavor is distinct and also quite addicting. Sorghum (Guinea Corn) is one of the oldest grains known, and came out of Egypt and Africa and made its way to China, India and Burma over 4 centuries ago.

I believe it was raised originally to feed cattle, but people found it could be ground and made into a dark syrup.
And it was introduced in the Western world at some point during the slave trade. Supposedly it is healthy too, although it is an acquired taste - like beer and coffee

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How about using molasses instead of brown sugar, or if you could find it DR, sweet sorghum syrup ?
If anyone has seen sorghum syrup in the DR I'd be curious to try it (perhaps in Haiti ?)

Mom used to make sorghum cookies and to sweeten her chocolate cake and I can tell you the flavor is distinct and also quite addicting. Sorghum (Guinea Corn) is one of the oldest grains known, and came out of Egypt and Africa and made its way to China, India and Burma over 4 centuries ago.

I believe it was raised originally to feed cattle, but people found it could be ground and made into a dark syrup.
And it was introduced in the Western world at some point during the slave trade. Supposedly it is healthy too, although it is an acquired taste - like beer and coffee

thanks for the suggestions, but i just went back to what i have always done, even though it is more expensive...i ordered the Dominos 1 lb boxes. at least i know what i am getting.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This is one sweet thread .......... LOL

Now, the light brown (actually more of a tan color) color sugar you see in the supermarkets next to the "white" sugar is NOT "light brown sugar" but unrefined sugar. Am I correct?

I know Dominos makes a light brown and a dark brown sugar they sell in one pound boxes (USA).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It was the big one on 27 de Febrero

Yeah, it's very common to find stuff in some National supermarkets and not in others. The big National on 27 and the one in Arroyo Hondo have quite a few things you won't find in others... Not even in Jumbo.

When I lived in Arroyo Hondo I used to buy Knickerbocker Roast Beef for a while until they switched to another brand. Honey roasted ham was another. Corned beef too.

The Arroyo Hondo deli is ( or was) the place to go for great deli meats..... if you're willing to pay the price.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One proper cup of brown sugar at my local colmado, 10 pesos.
If it ain't broke, it don't need no fixing.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
One proper cup of brown sugar at my local colmado, 10 pesos.
If it ain't broke, it don't need no fixing.

Is that "brown" sugar at the colmado or tan colored sugar which is unrefined or "raw" sugar. Big difference .............

Brown sugar has some molasses retained (hence the brown colour) so technically it is healthier than white sugar but the amount of nutrients is so small that in reality, the benefits are minute. Raw sugar which has nutrients to it has a similar color to refined, brown sugar but the two must not be confused.

Last edited: