Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: Flying with a TV as a Checked Item from US to DR

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Flying with a TV as a Checked Item from US to DR

    Hey Everyone,

    I live in Santiago. I am traveling from US to the airport in Santiago after the holidays. I am flying with my girlfriend (Dominicana, DR citizen). We want to check a 55" TV in it's original box (the box is completely covered, you can't see that it's a TV) on our United Airlines flight under my girlfriend's name (she won't get the extra gringo treatment as she leaves the airport). The TV was a gift. According the United Airlines customer service, I am allowed to check a TV on my flight. However, what I would like to know is what will the airport personnel do if they find out it's a TV? I have been told by other Dominicans that if the TV is a gift, they will let you through at the airport without any problems. I want to double check to see if you have to pay any taxes, etc. Thanks!

    Respectfully,

    Sua Sponte

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The duty free period ends January 7 th.

    If you travel after that, they’ll charge you customs/aduana fee




    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,345
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Your girlfriend shouldn’t have entered DR in the past 6 month for the grace amount of 3k to apply.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As I understand it, it is like Mauricio stated. The duty free period is for Dominican citizens who are returning from the US after being gone for 6 months. My girlfriend lives in DR. So my question is what is the Aduanas fee and how do they determine that for a gift?

  5. #5
    Moderator parum momenti
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Aduanas doesn't care if it is a gift or not. It is up to you to show how much was paid for the TV if they ask. If you do not have a receipt, they'll look it up in "The Book" or find one that looks similar and use that number for the value.

  6. Likes Sua Sponte, KateP liked this post
  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Aduanas doesn't care if it is a gift or not. It is up to you to show how much was paid for the TV if they ask. If you do not have a receipt, they'll look it up in "The Book" or find one that looks similar and use that number for the value.
    Good info. Do you know if a PDF printout of the receipt is good enough? Also, what is the Aduanas fee if you know?

  8. #7
    Moderator parum momenti
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know the fees involved, but I'm pretty sure they are posted somewhere on the forum in another thread about TV's. Your Spanish reading girlfriend should be able to find the info on the DR Govt website.

    You are asking specific questions looking for specific procedural protocols. It is often difficult to come across the same procedure being followed day after day. Factors that could affect your situation:

    1) How busy the airport is at the time you arrive
    2) Whether you arrive just before lunch time or after
    3) The mood of whomever you have to deal with
    4) The level of incentive they wish to tell you about to move things along faster
    5) Whether the customs person wishes to deal with your very angry and screaming Dominican girlfriend
    6) If anybody is watching
    7) The phase of the moon

    I would think a pdf of the receipt would be fine. That's what we all use when we import stuff we buy on Amazon.

    TV's of 36 in or less usually get passed right through as long as they are in a suitcase. Larger than that, you most likely will be of interest to someone who will size you up when you are standing in front of them.

  9. Likes KateP, ExDR liked this post
  10. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I don't know the fees involved, but I'm pretty sure they are posted somewhere on the forum in another thread about TV's. Your Spanish reading girlfriend should be able to find the info on the DR Govt website.

    You are asking specific questions looking for specific procedural protocols. It is often difficult to come across the same procedure being followed day after day. Factors that could affect your situation:

    1) How busy the airport is at the time you arrive
    2) Whether you arrive just before lunch time or after
    3) The mood of whomever you have to deal with
    4) The level of incentive they wish to tell you about to move things along faster
    5) Whether the customs person wishes to deal with your very angry and screaming Dominican girlfriend
    6) If anybody is watching
    7) The phase of the moon

    I would think a pdf of the receipt would be fine. That's what we all use when we import stuff we buy on Amazon.

    TV's of 36 in or less usually get passed right through as long as they are in a suitcase. Larger than that, you most likely will be of interest to someone who will size you up when you are standing in front of them.
    Hahahaha, you literally had me laughing at this reply because I know exactly what you mean. I plan on letting the girlfriend attempt to leave the airport alone with that TV to lower her profile of dating a gringo lol. That being said, due to the unnatural effect of all the steps you stated above, I thought about maybe giving her some cash to "negotiate" with whomever wanted to buck up. I will try to prepare myself as well as I can but I do understand that the worst case scenario is very possible and should be prepared for also. Thanks for the info!

  11. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did you check with the airline that they will actually take this?

  12. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Did you check with the airline that they will actually take this?
    "I live in Santiago. I am traveling from US to the airport in Santiago after the holidays. I am flying with my girlfriend (Dominicana, DR citizen). We want to check a 55" TV in it's original box (the box is completely covered, you can't see that it's a TV) on our United Airlines flight under my girlfriend's name (she won't get the extra gringo treatment as she leaves the airport). The TV was a gift.
    According the United Airlines customer service, I am allowed to check a TV on my flight.
    However, what I would like to know is what will the airport personnel do if they find out it's a TV? I have been told by other Dominicans that if the TV is a gift, they will let you through at the airport without any problems. I want to double check to see if you have to pay any taxes, etc. Thanks!"

    Yes, as quoted above. I called multiple times and received the same answer. What can you tell me about this as far as previous experiences/stories that you have heard?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •