Flying with a TV as a Checked Item from US to DR

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I live in Santiago. I am traveling from US to the airport in Santiago after the holidays. I am flying with my girlfriend (Dominicana, DR citizen). We want to check a 55" TV in it's original box (the box is completely covered, you can't see that it's a TV) on our United Airlines flight under my girlfriend's name (she won't get the extra gringo treatment as she leaves the airport). The TV was a gift. According the United Airlines customer service, I am allowed to check a TV on my flight. However, what I would like to know is what will the airport personnel do if they find out it's a TV? I have been told by other Dominicans that if the TV is a gift, they will let you through at the airport without any problems. I want to double check to see if you have to pay any taxes, etc. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Sua Sponte

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The duty free period ends January 7 th.

If you travel after that, they’ll charge you customs/aduana fee

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Your girlfriend shouldn’t have entered DR in the past 6 month for the grace amount of 3k to apply.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
As I understand it, it is like Mauricio stated. The duty free period is for Dominican citizens who are returning from the US after being gone for 6 months. My girlfriend lives in DR. So my question is what is the Aduanas fee and how do they determine that for a gift?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Aduanas doesn't care if it is a gift or not. It is up to you to show how much was paid for the TV if they ask. If you do not have a receipt, they'll look it up in "The Book" or find one that looks similar and use that number for the value.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Aduanas doesn't care if it is a gift or not. It is up to you to show how much was paid for the TV if they ask. If you do not have a receipt, they'll look it up in "The Book" or find one that looks similar and use that number for the value.

Good info. Do you know if a PDF printout of the receipt is good enough? Also, what is the Aduanas fee if you know?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't know the fees involved, but I'm pretty sure they are posted somewhere on the forum in another thread about TV's. Your Spanish reading girlfriend should be able to find the info on the DR Govt website.

You are asking specific questions looking for specific procedural protocols. It is often difficult to come across the same procedure being followed day after day. Factors that could affect your situation:

1) How busy the airport is at the time you arrive
2) Whether you arrive just before lunch time or after
3) The mood of whomever you have to deal with
4) The level of incentive they wish to tell you about to move things along faster
5) Whether the customs person wishes to deal with your very angry and screaming Dominican girlfriend
6) If anybody is watching
7) The phase of the moon

I would think a pdf of the receipt would be fine. That's what we all use when we import stuff we buy on Amazon.

TV's of 36 in or less usually get passed right through as long as they are in a suitcase. Larger than that, you most likely will be of interest to someone who will size you up when you are standing in front of them.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
I don't know the fees involved, but I'm pretty sure they are posted somewhere on the forum in another thread about TV's. Your Spanish reading girlfriend should be able to find the info on the DR Govt website.

You are asking specific questions looking for specific procedural protocols. It is often difficult to come across the same procedure being followed day after day. Factors that could affect your situation:

1) How busy the airport is at the time you arrive
2) Whether you arrive just before lunch time or after
3) The mood of whomever you have to deal with
4) The level of incentive they wish to tell you about to move things along faster
5) Whether the customs person wishes to deal with your very angry and screaming Dominican girlfriend
6) If anybody is watching
7) The phase of the moon

I would think a pdf of the receipt would be fine. That's what we all use when we import stuff we buy on Amazon.

TV's of 36 in or less usually get passed right through as long as they are in a suitcase. Larger than that, you most likely will be of interest to someone who will size you up when you are standing in front of them.

Hahahaha, you literally had me laughing at this reply because I know exactly what you mean. I plan on letting the girlfriend attempt to leave the airport alone with that TV to lower her profile of dating a gringo lol. That being said, due to the unnatural effect of all the steps you stated above, I thought about maybe giving her some cash to "negotiate" with whomever wanted to buck up. I will try to prepare myself as well as I can but I do understand that the worst case scenario is very possible and should be prepared for also. Thanks for the info!

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Did you check with the airline that they will actually take this?

"I live in Santiago. I am traveling from US to the airport in Santiago after the holidays. I am flying with my girlfriend (Dominicana, DR citizen). We want to check a 55" TV in it's original box (the box is completely covered, you can't see that it's a TV) on our United Airlines flight under my girlfriend's name (she won't get the extra gringo treatment as she leaves the airport). The TV was a gift.
According the United Airlines customer service, I am allowed to check a TV on my flight.
However, what I would like to know is what will the airport personnel do if they find out it's a TV? I have been told by other Dominicans that if the TV is a gift, they will let you through at the airport without any problems. I want to double check to see if you have to pay any taxes, etc. Thanks!"

Yes, as quoted above. I called multiple times and received the same answer. What can you tell me about this as far as previous experiences/stories that you have heard?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The fee used to be $8 USD per inch of tv. That’s what we were charged. My husband is a Dominican, made no difference. Things may have changed.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Did you check with the airline that they will actually take this?

That was my first thought also. The OP stated “the airline said we could bring a TV”, but did they specifically ok a 55” TV?

I travel on United frequently to POP (Puerto Plata) And this doesn’t sound right. According to the United website: “the maximum total exterior dimension (length + width + height) allowable is 62”. I’m sure a 55” TV will exceed that and be considered “oversized”. In certain circumstances, an airline will let you check a limited number of oversized items by paying an excess/oversized baggage fee (normally $100 US).

But on certain routes, and at certain times of the year, United prohibits excess/oversized checked items. This is known as a “excess baggage embargo”. Again, according to the United website, they have a “winter excess baggage embargo to Puerto Plata from November 15th to January 15th. “.

So you may want to double check to avoid disappointment. Good luck.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
That was my first thought also. The OP stated “the airline said we could bring a TV”, but did they specifically ok a 55” TV?

I travel on United frequently to POP (Puerto Plata) And this doesn’t sound right. According to the United website: “the maximum total exterior dimension (length + width + height) allowable is 62”. I’m sure a 55” TV will exceed that and be considered “oversized”. In certain circumstances, an airline will let you check a limited number of oversized items by paying an excess/oversized baggage fee (normally $100 US).

But on certain routes, and at certain times of the year, United prohibits excess/oversized checked items. This is known as a “excess baggage embargo”. Again, according to the United website, they have a “winter excess baggage embargo to Puerto Plata from November 15th to January 15th. “.

So you may want to double check to avoid disappointment. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the info. Sorry for not being more clear. I did speak to the United Airlines customer service specifically about a 55" TV. They stated that it wasn't an issue. And you are correct, the linear inches on the TV in it's packaging is 100". It is considered oversized and does require an additional fee. However, the embargo that you stated was for select cities in DR. Santiago is not one of them. I did clear that with United Airlines as well. I think I should be in the clear as far as flying with the TV. I just want to figure out what I might have to pay when I arrive.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
The fee used to be $8 USD per inch of tv. That’s what we were charged. My husband is a Dominican, made no difference. Things may have changed.

Ah ok. Thanks! Do you happen to have a website or document for the policy on this? As CDN Gringo suggested, my girlfriend and I are trying to search the DR government website but we haven't had much success thus far.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will be at the mercy of whoever stops you. And they will stop you for sure. Not recommended as it might cost you the same or more than buying here. And it could be a lot more. Also factor in the aggravation involved.

And it could arrive broken. Sturdier things have been broken before on airline luggage. The guys unloading baggage in the DR are not ballet dancers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sua
If you haven't figured it out by now...

The 'certainty' for which you search is not possible to ascertain....with any certainty

Jan 7, 2016
If SRA Alterego is right at $8.00 US per inch, your import taxes will run right at $440 US. You might have saved money by purchasing the TV in the D.R. instead of trying to pay the cost of flying it down and the duties. Plus, the way the baggage handlers treat boxes at the airports these days, you'll be lucky if the TV is still in one piece when it arrives in Santiago!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The total tax on electronics is near 48%. You need a receipt or they will hold you back and look online and take the highest price the find. You'll be delayed for a long time if they need to go online and search.

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Sua
If you haven't figured it out by now...

The 'certainty' for which you search is not possible to ascertain....with any certainty

Hey Will,

I understand. I am familiar with the "crap shoot" when it comes to policy in DR. I was just making sure that there wasn't any kind of law/regulation/common theme that I was missing. I appreciate everybody's input on this. I will update this post after I fly.

Respectfully,

Sua Sponte