Great Christmas Dinner at Brittania

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Found new favorite holiday Turkey lunch/dinner destination.
Today, Christmas Day had their turkey dinner with gravy with fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, carrot, broccoli, dinner rolls and stuffing with fresh red pepper.
Their chef has been there a long time and is wonderful and the staff and Ryan are great.
Highly recommend!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Found new favorite holiday Turkey lunch/dinner destination.
Today, Christmas Day had their turkey dinner with gravy with fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, carrot, broccoli, dinner rolls and stuffing with fresh red pepper.
Their chef has been there a long time and is wonderful and the staff and Ryan are great.
Highly recommend!

I never realized you can get fresh cranberries here. That's gotta be pretty tart!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I never realized you can get fresh cranberries here. That's gotta be pretty tart!

My mother always made fresh cranberry sauce. She boiled cranberries with orange juice and some sugar added to the water, orange zest, and sometimes added a bit of chopped fresh orange. The cranberries pop when done, it’s similar to a smooth relish.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We have a cranberry tree (not bush) in the garden. Should fruit next year.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a cranberry tree (not bush) in the garden. Should fruit next year.

Matilda

I’m wondering if Dominican cranberries are different?? Cranberries are grown in bogs in USA. And long vines rather than a tree....

Very healthy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jumbo has fresh cranberries sometimes but as far as i can tell they are not the same as murican ones. large, velvet-like skin, small pits inside. very sour. i buy them for baking.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This explains it AE. We obviously have the highbush cranberry. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/cranberries-grow-bush-tree-55260.html

Matilda

Well yours are edible too, so you’ll have fun experimenting!

jumbo has fresh cranberries sometimes but as far as i can tell they are not the same as murican ones. large, velvet-like skin, small pits inside. very sour. i buy them for baking.

I’ve never seen those. Interesting! Cranberries here are a little larger than a guandule, no pit, and very shiny smooth skin.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah there are cranberry actual trees here in the dr........
We make juice with them ( as they are very, very bitter ), and i just accepted that they were edible berries, while secretly not believing they were cranberries.
And then one day, my parents ( and dad is a cranberry expert----- says its a miracle aliment ) , said , oh ! A cranberry tree...... -_- -_-

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah there are cranberry actual trees here in the dr........
We make juice with them ( as they are very, very bitter ), and i just accepted that they were edible berries, while secretly not believing they were cranberries.
And then one day, my parents ( and dad is a cranberry expert----- says its a miracle aliment ) , said , oh ! A cranberry tree...... -_- -_-

unlike your dad, i am not a cranberry expert, but i think cranberries are just bitter anywhere you find them.-.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Matilda, malko, what name are these Dominican cranberries called in Spanish?

Wife and co call them cranberries....... but who knows what the real name is .....lol.

Trying to remember how to post pics...... unsuccessfully for now :(

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Cranberries, like rhubarb, can make a wonderful desert. It's finding the right amount of sugar to add while maintaining the tart flavour. And yes, they have numerous health benefits, in addition to being a unique band.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
The tree.
2rhrxu0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the fruits on malko's photo are the ones sold in jumbo.

arandano refers to cranberry as much as to few other berries. for example i bough frozen bilberries in bravo and they were called "arandanos silvestres". this word is also used for blueberries.