Why a 2 week job takes 3 years and nearly killed a boy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK we have all seen the curb and backfill on the North side of the road along Sosua beach. Seems maybe one or two trucks a week dump their loads often spilling over the curb into the street.

Well this past week I saw a poor young man (maybe 17 years) go down hard in the road after his scooter hit a large clod from one of those loads which had spilled onto the travel way. He rolled about 3 times, and his scooter slid into him, as his helmet (which was perched on top of his head of course) bounced across the road in front of my car. The car behind him swerved to miss him and his scooter.

He got up limping badly with several nasty cuts to his bare legs and arms.

Why has it taken so long to backfill and level the dirt behind this curb. It was actually safer before, as now you cannot walk over these piles and are forced to walk outside the parked cars to get to the beach stairs. Is the mayor of Sosua so inept that this project couldn't have been completed before high season ? Punta Cana sure could do it because they want repeat tourists.

In any organized locale this project is two weeks to complete - make it 3 with a concrete sidewalk. But not here Prediction = it won't be finished before next year either.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Two reasons: Corruption and Poor Leadership.

Yeah I can agree someone probably stole the funds to pay the truckers for the dirt, whether it was politicos or the trucking syndicate boss.

But leadership ?

Heck any high school kid with one sheet of plans could pull this off.
You don't need to be a 4-star general or a NASA rocket engineer to organize sidewalk construction (which won't be held to a high standard anyway)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sometimes the amount of lying, cheating and stealing that goes on
here is a little hard to stomach. Sad but in so many ways they are often
their own worse enemy. This small project could have been completed
in less than two months.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We're still waiting for public garbage cans and you want a sidewalk?

Local politicians, planners and supervisors in Sosua are feckless. They should all be fired and the local elementary school 5th grade class should be given the job.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We're still waiting for public garbage cans and you want a sidewalk?

Local politicians, planners and supervisors in Sosua are feckless. They should all be fired and the local elementary school 5th grade class should be given the job.

At least I have my own 50-Gallon plastic drum. But we can spring for the sidewalk.
I think the 5th grade class may be already tainted by their education - But I'm sure the Haitians could do it.
They seem to put up block walls and concrete columns fast at least - of course that's not "public trough" money