Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Residencial Hispaniola in Sosua

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never build somewhere that did not give me the option of using my own contractor,Hispaniola and Casa Linda do not allow outside building contractors.

2. Likes tflea, AlaninDR, windeguy, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oriole100 View Post
    Please have the contractor put pvc pipe in. When run your water, hot and cold thru using flex pipe in the pvc.. If you have a leak, you just pull it out and fix or change it. Same with the elect. Make sure the wiring is diff. color. They buy 1 roll and use it till it's gone. Just a pain. It doesn't cost that much more. You should have someone you trust to watch. It will payoff in the long run. Good luck.
    this is great advice ......I have been in the Construction business for 25 plus years

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oriole100 View Post
    Please have the contractor put pvc pipe in. When run your water, hot and cold thru using flex pipe in the pvc.. If you have a leak, you just pull it out and fix or change it. Same with the elect. Make sure the wiring is diff. color. They buy 1 roll and use it till it's gone. Just a pain. It doesn't cost that much more. You should have someone you trust to watch. It will payoff in the long run. Good luck.
    How can I do a 'super like' for this post? The flex pipe in PVC tubes should be law here. A thousand times better.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice here. My wife and I are building a house in the North Coast and plan to be on-site when construction begins and consistently thereafter. I think the other key thing is getting as much of this detail into your building contract (written up by an attorney), or it doesn't get done. We would love to have the house built and show up when it is complete, but no bueno.

6. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We have also been told to write a penalty clause into the contract (i.e. each day they are late in delivery results in a financial penalty), but I doubt a contractor here will submit to that.

8. Likes windeguy liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can do your own soldering and know the fittings use copper pipe (it is easy actually), it is preferable to PVC (although ladrones will steal copper left unattended).

Also go to Santiago or SD to buy better water fixtures, like Kholer, Pfister, Moen or Delta. You can also order them off Amazon - Get brass fittings for shower rough-in valves and anchor them well and they will last.
    The locally sold water fixtures are predominantly the typical Chinese junk and last about 6 months on a good run. Yes you'll pay double or triple for name brands but would you rather replace with Chinese 10 times over the life of a quality fixture ? Not me

10. Likes photo2u liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    If you can do your own soldering and know the fittings use copper pipe (it is easy actually), it is preferable to PVC (although ladrones will steal copper left unattended).

Also go to Santiago or SD to buy better water fixtures, like Kholer, Pfister, Moen or Delta. You can also order them off Amazon - Get brass fittings for shower rough-in valves and anchor them well and they will last.
    The locally sold water fixtures are predominantly the typical Chinese junk and last about 6 months on a good run. Yes you'll pay double or triple for name brands but would you rather replace with Chinese 10 times over the life of a quality fixture ? Not me

I've done soldering a few times, and the flex hoses are far superior along with their valve manifolds for distribution and having the ability to turn off just hot or cold for every single faucet won me over.

Prices for the name brand stuff will give you a heart attack. Well worth it though.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    PEX is the best thing going now. I love the stuff. I'm not sure if HispRE is using it yet, but it is a 100 times better then pvc or copper. And it's available in the DR.

13. Likes photo2u liked this post
    No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I've done soldering a few times, and the flex hoses are far superior along with their valve manifolds for distribution and having the ability to turn off just hot or cold for every single faucet won me over.

Prices for the name brand stuff will give you a heart attack. Well worth it though.
    Are you talking Pex piping ? If so where do you find fittings here ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I figured if I said PEX nobody would know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Ferreteria Americana has it and Ferreterias Unidos.

I would think OCHOA would have it as well. When it's installed right the results are pretty impressive.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast