Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Residencial Hispaniola in Sosua

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elgator View Post
    Thanks Wind. But could you explain a little further please??
    I don't build anything here unless I watch every step of the process.

If you prefer the ignorance is bliss method, then just pay the money and wait until it is done.
    Because a contractor did a good job once , twice, or three times, it does not mean your job will be done well.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elgator View Post
    Many thanks to all of those who posted replies Some incredible feedback. The truth is, I have shifted gears. I was originally interested in either building a villa or purchasing a beachfront condo. And I think I have found a unit that is just right for me. It is right on the beach, at the end of Playa Alicia. Los Balcones. The size is to my liking, 1 BR, 1 bath. Walking distance to Sosua Beach and Playero Supermercado. It is in excellent condition, though I would want to do some sprucing up in the kitchen. I definitely would invest some additional money in some improvements. I am in the process of working with an agent and submitting n offer.
    I know someone that lives there every winter and had someone break into the condo in the broad daylight while he and his family were home and lost $5000. in electronics. You may want to inquire about the security there.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

The basics are:

-During construction, a high level of supervision is required to ensure quality work is done according to spec.
    -Vacant dwellings need additional security/attention - not all security guards are trustworthy.
    -Property management companies representing absentee owners, tend to be lackadaisical.
    -Careful attention to insurance policies is needed for absentee owners with vacant or rented properties.
    -A gated community is no guarantee of no-hassle property ownership.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been Sosua for more than decade. Hispanola is decently built, maintained and secured. Long term aabout quality of materials and practices. Plus ease of replacements (including if available) and or process. Obsolete is my favorite word working at sea or when at home for parts. Access for repair, access to the parts, access to a qualified technician are all in play. A new build I wouls spend the extra bucks. Buy a used home I would ask for an extra 15% off knowing you will be ripping apart all plumbing and electrical on the older homes.

5. Likes photo2u liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I've heard about Hispaniola from an owner was about years delay to get proper title to the property and no home owners association yet so owners are blind to what financials actually make up their high fees. Trying to sell without a title/deed is all but impossible for a legal transfer.

7. Likes photo2u liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    The basics are:

-During construction, a high level of supervision is required to ensure quality work is done according to spec.
    -Vacant dwellings need additional security/attention - not all security guards are trustworthy.
    -Property management companies representing absentee owners, tend to be lackadaisical.
    -Careful attention to insurance policies is needed for absentee owners with vacant or rented properties.
    -A gated community is no guarantee of no-hassle property ownership.
    So true. Youtube is chock full of videos of thieves gaining access to homes in some of the most unimaginable ways..

Some I have seen:

Using a jack to pry steel bars off of windows.
    Pulling out a split A/C tube and knocking out the hole for access
    Using hydraulic jacks to pry bars apart to gain access
    Helping a small kid between bars to rob items
    Crowbars to break entrances
    Using a battery powered grinder to cut through locks.
    Breaking through a wall with a sledge hammer.

Don't ever think your home is secure, or your home camera system that records every movement will stop them from entering.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A very comprehensive home inspection should be conducted before buying any property here. Everything from the foundation to the roofing tiles. There are a lot of properties here that were built without the adult supervision mentioned above - lol.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cruzan1 View Post
    A very comprehensive home inspection should be conducted before buying any property here. Everything from the foundation to the roofing tiles. There are a lot of properties here that were built without the adult supervision mentioned above - lol.
    That's a great theory. Only problem is there is no such thing as a certified home inspector here.
    Similar to real estate agents. No qualifications or training. If you can say it, then you are one.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent a week in Residential Hispanola via Airbnb. It was a very nice looking place -- I think it lists for around $300K US -- but the place did not have hot water or AC . Along two walls, the ground sloped toward the house, causing interior mold problems. It's a long walk to the Supermercado and the beach. You would need a car in my opinion.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    That's a great theory. Only problem is there is no such thing as a certified home inspector here.
    Similar to real estate agents. No qualifications or training. If you can say it, then you are one.
    Same with plumbers and electricians.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast