Boston baked beans

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Has anybody ever seen any traditional Boston baked beans here on the north coast? The only thing I can find in either Playero or Super Pola are different types of typical canned Dominican habichuelas.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Has anybody ever seen any traditional Boston baked beans here on the north coast? The only thing I can find in either Playero or Super Pola are different types of typical canned Dominican habichuelas.

We have on DR1 a resident Chef, the gorgon. If he doesn't respond send him a PM as I am sure he has a simple recipe up his sleeve where you can bake your own using available local ingredients.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nacional has Campbell's in most of their stores. Not Boston, but not bad either.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
We have on DR1 a resident Chef, the gorgon. If he doesn't respond send him a PM as I am sure he has a simple recipe up his sleeve where you can bake your own using available local ingredients.

The recipe is readily available online but I'm too lazy to do all that work. They typically require slow cooking for 10 - 12 hours. I would like to find something in a can that I could just heat up in the microwave.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Nacional has Campbell's in most of their stores. Not Boston, but not bad either.

I live in Sosua, so I would like to find a more local source. But your post is helpful because I never thought of looking in the canned soup section of the supermarket. I've been looking in the canned vegetable section. I will take a look in the soup section.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I live in Sosua, so I would like to find a more local source. But your post is helpful because I never thought of looking in the canned soup section of the supermarket. I've been looking in the canned vegetable section. I will take a look in the soup section.

Check in the mexican foods at Nacional too. I saw Bush's there a few weeks ago (in Punta Cana though).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

other supermarkets stock them too. canned "pork and beans". right next to a selection of canned soups. jose luis in PP has them.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
other supermarkets stock them too. canned "pork and beans". right next to a selection of canned soups. jose luis in PP has them.

Gracias! I will also check the soup section and Mexican food section of the local supermarkets in Sosua.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The recipe is readily available online but I'm too lazy to do all that work. They typically require slow cooking for 10 - 12 hours. I would like to find something in a can that I could just heat up in the microwave.

I hear you but even when I buy the ones in the can I have to do something to them to doctor them up and get them tasting good. I just can't heat them up right out the can and eat them. They need some serious flavor.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bush's is definitely better than Campbell's if you can find it. Nacional sometimes has Bush's, but always has Campbell's.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I hear you but even when I buy the ones in the can I have to do something to them to doctor them up and get them tasting good. I just can't heat them up right out the can and eat them. They need some serious flavor.

I don't mind doing a little doctoring up, but I'm not desperate enough to start from scratch and make a day-long task of it.

May 5, 2007

Damm, break a sweat and use a saucepan, microwave and they are likely to explode all over the place

May 5, 2007

If you can't get B&M,molasses "might" make Campbell's or Bush edible, just If you can find cans of brown bread you're all set

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In Playero next to the canned soups, top shelf. Bush's Baked Beans, Campbell's and one other if I remember correctly.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Campbell's reminds me of beans with Ketchup, B&M (Burnham&Morrill) are the only beans in my opinion and I believe you can buy on line Only problem is shipping will probably boost them to the price of caviar https://www.google.com/search?q=b&m...LE88DfAhUEZN8KHS7rCTAQsxgIKw&biw=1024&bih=488

I agree with your comment about B&M beans. That's what I'd really like to find but I didn't know if others knew what B&M was. Burnham and Morrill makes those baked beans in my hometown of Portland, Maine, and in my admittedly biased opinion they are the best. But Bush's are probably second best. I've never had Campbell's baked beans but I would expect them to be pretty bad.

Last edited: