painting my house

krfenn222

May 17, 2018
hi everyone! i will be painting my house next month. when i try to google ideas for color schemes i get nicely built houses with nice walls. my house is all cement and in the middle of the barrio. since i am not there currently i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for paint colors. how many colors do you have in your house? are multiple rooms the same color? just looking for some ideas to base off of or get my mind thinking.

bonus if anyone has any info on the cost of paint?

thanks in advance.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We use white from 5 gallon cans. Tropical or Popular. Not sure of the current pricing.
White is so much better for repainting then other colors in the future on cement.
We do paint a very small amount of trim work a robins egg blue color.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Outside or inside ?

Outside I use 2 colours, mainly white. Green for the columns, tiles and " horizontal" ledges.

Inside I also use white, with a sandy desert pattern/ woody colour for columns amd framings ( wall framings ? ), for the living areas.

Then each bedroom has its " theme " : 3 white walls + 1 wall painted with that special paint thats kind of " streaky" , the 2 masterbedrooms have the 1 green wall , ......yes, yes we like green.

In my opinon, you want to coordinate the decoration with the paint colour.
So white and woody colour for the living areas, well then you want beige and woody curtains, sofas, cushons, etc.......
I dont really like the dominican mish-mash of lots of diffrent colours that we see a lot here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’ve gone through so many color changes over the decades, but my favorite in DR is a soft peach color that all the paint companies call limoncello. Right now we have it on exterior, with white trim. Inside we have the satin finish, same color, in living/dining. Our master suite is all light grey, satin finish. Other bedrooms are soft pastels.

Our property walls are a slightly darker peach than limoncello, maybe salmon. Of course, Dominicans call it pink (rosada) for some reason.

We’re in a campo near the ocean, if that matters.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Acrylic semi gloss white is my poison. My entire house is white inside (White makes it look larger) Whatever color you paint outside, make it acrylic semi gloss as well.

It lasts many years longer than regular paint.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Acrylic semi gloss white is my poison. My entire house is white inside (White makes it look larger) Whatever color you paint outside, make it acrylic semi gloss as well.

I called ours satin, but I think it’s semi gloss. Much much better than the flat, even the color is richer, and easy to clean.

For the bathrooms, we bought a paint with mildew resistance right in it, if my memory serves me it was Sherwin Williams. Bought it all at Ferreteria Americana on Kennedy.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I called ours satin, but I think it’s semi gloss. Much much better than the flat, even the color is richer, and easy to clean.

For the bathrooms, we bought a paint with mildew resistance right in it, if my memory serves me it was Sherwin Williams. Bought it all at Ferreteria Americana on Kennedy.

That's right. It has a shiny finish very similar to enamel (oil) paint. It goes on better, covers better, looks better and lasts longer.

I painted my last rental with white semi gloss acrylic when I moved in. Lived there 9 years and when I moved out there was no reason to repaint.

It's a couple a few dollars more per gallon, but well worth it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Semi gloss is much easier to clean, too.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Semi gloss is easier to keep clean but shows flaws much more than flat or satin finishes will.
Not really an issue with stucco or concrete walls as a perfectly smooth surface is not expected, but if you have any wood trim, for instance, that has not been properly prepared the mistakes are easily seen. I'm a bit particular in that regard, but others may not be.

StaciaVanderberg

Jan 5, 2019
It depends. If you think your house should look wider then you should select the light colour scheme. Otherwise, you can go with some darker wall. You should also try to find 3D paint schemes or DIY ones.