Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dog Trainer

  1. #1
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dog Trainer

    Hi!

    I bring my 2 Great Dane puppies home to Santiago in 10 days. Anyone know of any reputable trainers in the area? Where do you all take your dogs for exercise (I know there aren’t any “dog parks”) but I went to Parque Central and they told me I could walk them and let them play there but they needed to have muzzles on (uuuuuuh.....nope).
    Anyway I won’t be taking them anywhere until their last round of shots at 16 weeks so they don’t pick up anything but was really just trying to find any puppy training classes, if they exist.
    Thanks!
    SHALENA

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    34,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Hi!

    I bring my 2 Great Dane puppies home to Santiago in 10 days. Anyone know of any reputable trainers in the area? Where do you all take your dogs for exercise (I know there aren’t any “dog parks”) but I went to Parque Central and they told me I could walk them and let them play there but they needed to have muzzles on (uuuuuuh.....nope).
    Anyway I won’t be taking them anywhere until their last round of shots at 16 weeks so they don’t pick up anything but was really just trying to find any puppy training classes, if they exist.
    Thanks!
    SHALENA
    I mentioned one in this link: Cesar, dog trainer in Santiago

    As far as muzzles, not all muzzles are the same. Consider a Baskerville muzzle. They are flexible, comfortable, allows dogs to pant, bark somewhat, drink water and eat treats. It's purpose is preventing dog bites. And it is comfortable on dogs.

    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  3. #3
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,906
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I mentioned one in this link: Cesar, dog trainer in Santiago
    The link in the posted link is no longer valid.
    Moderator
    Clown Central

    Be Serious

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    34,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The link in the posted link is no longer valid.
    Cesar's name and phone number in the post should work.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks!
    I will call him. I don’t want any fight training, basically obedience. I want to make sure that they listen to me and kids when they’re big. It’s cute to have a little Dane puppy pulling you on a leash but not so cute when they’re 150lbs!
    Kobe is already 21lbs at 7.5wks and Maia isn’t far behind. So I want to have good control over them from a young age and it’s mostly for ME learning.
    Thanks again!

    SHALENA

  6. Likes bob saunders liked this post
  7. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    34,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Thanks!
    I will call him. I don’t want any fight training, basically obedience. I want to make sure that they listen to me and kids when they’re big. It’s cute to have a little Dane puppy pulling you on a leash but not so cute when they’re 150lbs!
    Kobe is already 21lbs at 7.5wks and Maia isn’t far behind. So I want to have good control over them from a young age and it’s mostly for ME learning.
    Thanks again!

    SHALENA
    Just understand Great Danes aren't the best or easiest dog to train. They can be dumb and stubborn, an interesting combination.

    Then again, our old Toby (RIP):



    Reach out to Matilda who has had numerous Great Danes, including our Toby's dad.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

  8. Likes Matilda, SKing, mofongoloco liked this post
  9. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Just understand Great Danes aren't the best or easiest dog to train. They can be dumb and stubborn, an interesting combination.

    Then again, our old Toby (RIP):



    Reach out to Matilda who has had numerous Great Danes, including our Toby's dad.

    I sure will. Toby was so handsome. I don’t know how yo put pictures here or is post Kobe and Maia :-)

    SHALENA

  10. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shalena
    You’re exactly right.... the owner is getting training.... the dog a bit, the owner a lot

    Most important is immediate response... a NO or praise....they learn quickly

    I have two Boxer puppies and in the middle of it

    Teach those big dogs the leash....always on the same side
    Repetition is key...they like a routine

  11. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes. I've been reading everything. I am 100%ready.

    SHALENA

  12. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How did I know that ???

    hahaha

    Happy New Year to you and your family !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •