Dog Trainer

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hi!

I bring my 2 Great Dane puppies home to Santiago in 10 days. Anyone know of any reputable trainers in the area? Where do you all take your dogs for exercise (I know there aren’t any “dog parks”) but I went to Parque Central and they told me I could walk them and let them play there but they needed to have muzzles on (uuuuuuh.....nope).
Anyway I won’t be taking them anywhere until their last round of shots at 16 weeks so they don’t pick up anything but was really just trying to find any puppy training classes, if they exist.
Thanks!
SHALENA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi!

I bring my 2 Great Dane puppies home to Santiago in 10 days. Anyone know of any reputable trainers in the area? Where do you all take your dogs for exercise (I know there aren’t any “dog parks”) but I went to Parque Central and they told me I could walk them and let them play there but they needed to have muzzles on (uuuuuuh.....nope).
Anyway I won’t be taking them anywhere until their last round of shots at 16 weeks so they don’t pick up anything but was really just trying to find any puppy training classes, if they exist.
Thanks!
SHALENA
I mentioned one in this link: Cesar, dog trainer in Santiago

As far as muzzles, not all muzzles are the same. Consider a Baskerville muzzle. They are flexible, comfortable, allows dogs to pant, bark somewhat, drink water and eat treats. It's purpose is preventing dog bites. And it is comfortable on dogs.

364636_maulkorb_baskerville_ultra_07_2013_5.jpg

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks!
I will call him. I don’t want any fight training, basically obedience. I want to make sure that they listen to me and kids when they’re big. It’s cute to have a little Dane puppy pulling you on a leash but not so cute when they’re 150lbs!
Kobe is already 21lbs at 7.5wks and Maia isn’t far behind. So I want to have good control over them from a young age and it’s mostly for ME learning.
Thanks again!

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks!
I will call him. I don’t want any fight training, basically obedience. I want to make sure that they listen to me and kids when they’re big. It’s cute to have a little Dane puppy pulling you on a leash but not so cute when they’re 150lbs!
Kobe is already 21lbs at 7.5wks and Maia isn’t far behind. So I want to have good control over them from a young age and it’s mostly for ME learning.
Thanks again!

SHALENA
Just understand Great Danes aren't the best or easiest dog to train. They can be dumb and stubborn, an interesting combination.

Then again, our old Toby (RIP):

35751151_10216446470065135_3653031201788133376_n.jpg

Reach out to Matilda who has had numerous Great Danes, including our Toby's dad.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just understand Great Danes aren't the best or easiest dog to train. They can be dumb and stubborn, an interesting combination.

Then again, our old Toby (RIP):

35751151_10216446470065135_3653031201788133376_n.jpg

Reach out to Matilda who has had numerous Great Danes, including our Toby's dad.

I sure will. Toby was so handsome. I don’t know how yo put pictures here or is post Kobe and Maia :)

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Shalena
You’re exactly right.... the owner is getting training.... the dog a bit, the owner a lot

Most important is immediate response... a NO or praise....they learn quickly

I have two Boxer puppies and in the middle of it

Teach those big dogs the leash....always on the same side
Repetition is key...they like a routine

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
HB - we don't think Tommy is doing the training anymore. He's been focusing on his music and no one seems to know anything about his K9 stuff. Good kid - and his English is ironically better than his Spanish.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/Koehler-Meth.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
I used this method in training my last dog. Everyone who ever knew him said that he was the best dog they ever saw. I followed this method to the letter with the exception of the correction method for off leash training. Technology has improved since the forties and the radio controlled shock collar is definitely better than trying to be perfect at hitting the dog in the butt with a small chain (and not be seen throwing it) hard enough to make the dog not want to disobey again. It takes at least twelve weeks, five times a week, for half an hour each dog. It's better to go longer on each lesson to make sure you and the dog have it down pat, than to advance early.

Last edited:

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
After reading this thread, I dropped my Dog off with Ceasar who was mentioned earlier in this thread. Thank you for the recommendation!! I was very Impressed by him.
He noticed my dog was a little on the skinny side. She recently lost weight with an intestinal infection. I asked about vitamins, and said I had no problem paying. He said don't worry about it. He will give them to her. By the end of the month, I
should she a big difference.

He is running what looks like a very professional operation. He had a lot of big beautifil dogs there that he is training. Mostly German sheppards, Rottweilers, and Siberian Huskys. There was 4 smaller dogs as well.

One month of boarding 17,000 pesos. Owner provides food. Here is a link to his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/ANCDominicana/?ti=as

Is having someone train your dog, the equivalent to having someone else car shop for you... lol. Bc I am guilty of both now. It is so easy to get lazy here. I watched a ton of videos, the dog was coming along great. But I couldnt get her to stop chewing. So, I went with a trusted proffesional.

Thanks again DR1

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
After reading this thread, I dropped my Dog off with Ceasar who was mentioned earlier in this thread. Thank you for the recommendation!! I was very Impressed by him.
He noticed my dog was a little on the skinny side. She recently lost weight with an intestinal infection. I asked about vitamins, and said I had no problem paying. He said don't worry about it. He will give them to her. By the end of the month, I
should she a big difference.

He is running what looks like a very professional operation. He had a lot of big beautifil dogs there that he is training. Mostly German sheppards, Rottweilers, and Siberian Huskys. There was 4 smaller dogs as well.

One month of boarding 17,000 pesos. Owner provides food. Here is a link to his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/ANCDominicana/?ti=as

Is having someone train your dog, the equivalent to having someone else car shop for you... lol. Bc I am guilty of both now. It is so easy to get lazy here. I watched a ton of videos, the dog was coming along great. But I couldnt get her to stop chewing. So, I went with a trusted proffesional.

Thanks again DR1
Caesar used to train dogs for the Mexican Military, I recall.

Here is our new Great Dane pup, Neo. We were lucky to find him in Santiago. He's been with us a week now, quite the sweet little boy.

There is something special when a 7-week old puppy discovers the simple life pleasure of laying on cool grass under the warm sun:

JNbWGK.jpg

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Caesar used to train dogs for the Mexican Military, I recall.

Here is our new Great Dane pup, Neo. We were lucky to find him in Santiago. He's been with us a week now, quite the sweet little boy.

There is something special when a 7-week old puppy discovers the simple life pleasure of laying on cool grass under the warm sun:

JNbWGK.jpg

Great find!! Congrats!!