Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Rabies outbreak

  1. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you have older dogs, be wary of having them vaccinated.

  2. #12
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    if in doubt, cut its head off and send to SD for testing ( not kidding )
    yeah, this is the norm, in europe as well. the test is done using brain tissue and it's much easier to preserve the head alone rather than the whole animal. you can conveniently pop it in the fridge, for example. clearly the effort of chopping the head off in the first place is not taken into the account.

  3. #13
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    21,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It used to be.... back before recorded time when I was young....
    that the human therapy for rabies was 15 needles daily...
    Deep into the stomach area

    Foxes in Canada were the culprits in addition to dogs... foaming mouths

    Raccoons get Feline Rabies... no danger to humans - less maybe

  4. #14
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    If you have older dogs, be wary of having them vaccinated.
    Why? One assumes not good for them. Any evidence?

    Matilda


    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

  5. #15
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    yeah, this is the norm, in europe as well. the test is done using brain tissue and it's much easier to preserve the head alone rather than the whole animal. you can conveniently pop it in the fridge, for example. clearly the effort of chopping the head off in the first place is not taken into the account.
    Her : My Dear please take the pork chops out of the fridge...
    Him : I cant find them, honey !
    Her : Right next to the dog's head !!


  6. Likes nigrarosa liked this post
  7. #16
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How long is the human vaccination in effect ?

  8. #17
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is not surprising at all, considering the amount of viralatas in the country. If the vaccine is actually free (I pay $100CDN every three years per dog), then irresponsible dog ownership is the true culprit. Actually it's a wonder rabies is not more prevalent based on neglected dog populations alone. All parts of the country has this problem.

  9. #18
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    This is not surprising at all, considering the amount of viralatas in the country. If the vaccine is actually free (I pay $100CDN every three years per dog), then irresponsible dog ownership is the true culprit. Actually it's a wonder rabies is not more prevalent based on neglected dog populations alone. All parts of the country has this problem.
    actually, it is a little more than irresponsible dog ownership, given the reality that maybe half the dogs have no owners..

  10. Likes malko liked this post
  11. #19
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The fourth victim, a child has died. In Pedernales so far this year, 255 people have been bitten or scratched by a rabid dog. It appears the hospital has sometimes been unable to provide the post bite vaccine for rabies immediately. https://noticiassin.com/pedernales-2...ores-de-rabia/

    Matilda


    Moderator Ladies Only & North West Forums
    www.DR1.com

  12. #20
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    actually, it is a little more than irresponsible dog ownership, given the reality that maybe half the dogs have no owners..
    Well, it would at least be the original culprit, since there wouldn't be so many viralatas if the original owners were responsible. It's a generational, cultural problem. But kudos to those who rescue, vaccinate, and care for their animals properly.

    I believe the article states that 255 people have been bitten by warm blooded animals, not necessarily rabid warm blooded animals. If 255 people in Pedernales alone were bitten by rabid animals, I would hope there would be some serious action? My Spanish needs practice so I may have read it wrong.

    Someone posted a question about the rabies vaccine not long ago. I know that the preventative rabies vaccine in Canada would have costed me $600CDN for the three doses in the series. It is recommended for the DR, but I opted out because all of the dogs I came into contact with at the rescue had been vaccinated and cleared for travel to Canada.

    I wonder if the reason for the lack of post-exposure vaccine is due to cost?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •