Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobrouser View Post
    How is Mom CB doing?
    She was give IV pain meds that made her feel much better. But even with a prescription she's beginniong to hurt again. She has an appointment with a spine guy Monday @ HOMS. She is suffereing from pinched nerves from typical elderly female disc disintegration and collpse. She was 5'7". She's now 5'2".

Thanks for asking.

2. Likes sosuamatt liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and about your experience with the guy having the psychotic episode. In that moment, in that time and place, you saved his life.

I remember a thread from a few years ago with someone inquiring about the Dominican Mental Health system and then a later discussion on the lack thereof. My husband says there are short term, privately owned, convalescent type homes that cost about $1,000 per month.

His family had a next door neighbor who was a Dominican Vietnam vet with double leg amputations due to diabetes. He frequently suffered from psychotic episodes (likely PTSD), and would throw himself out of his bed. During these episodes, he refused to speak to anyone-except in English. So either my husband or his father would be called over to converse in English and convince him that he would be alright. At first, the man's family in the US would come down, check on him, and pay for him to stay in one of these homes temporarily. They later opted for a live-in caregiver who had no training whatsoever, because he refused to leave his house. He did well with her, but sadly passed away about a year ago.

Mental Health advocacy & education is still in its infancy really, even in developed countries. The Dominican veteran that I met was fortunate to draw upon a US pension and have a family with the financial means to support him. The American at HOMS was fortunate that you were there. Unfortunately, many people are on their own entirely when it comes to mental health.

4. Likes sosuamatt liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up:

The director of psychiatry at HOMS has a similar position with the public hospital in Santiago. My "friend" was transported there where he remains under supervision in their small psyche ward.

6. Likes Linda Stapleton liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

'small psyche ward'.....

conjures up images of the proverbial 'padded cell'. straight jackets , etc

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    'small psyche ward'.....

conjures up images of the proverbial 'padded cell'. straight jackets , etc
    Also my thoughts.

But he's better off there than freaking out in a NP jail...which is where he was headed.

9. Likes KateP, Garyexpat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly.
    My understanding is that there’s no ‘cure’....just management of these problems

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Certainly.
    My understanding is that there’s no ‘cure’....just management of these problems
    I have almost 50 years dealing directly with this issue, and can affirm there is no cure, just management. And good, compassionate management is expensive.

12. Likes KateP liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They have no clue about mental health here. Luckily I worked with mentally ill for a long time and I know what meds I need to take for my Situations. If I didn’t I would be really sick here.
    I would never seek help from any dr here, I know way more than them about Mental Illness, it’s sad.

Glad you were there bc most just want to be heard and listened to. Hope the guy is ok!

14. Likes jinty05, philosopher liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is that there are some doctors around that can help and more then enough medication if you can get it prescribed to help the people in need. Unfortunately in the campo, the first course of action is the brujo.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thats good to know before to go next time to dom rep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast