Gated Communities Vs Condominium

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Each gated community will have its own regulations. Best to check with each community you are interested in on those. Likewise on condos.

Ours has a mandatory fee monthly and a list of other bylaws about construction and other small details.

May 10, 2018
There seems to be many good things coming to the north coast, so making buying in one of these gated communities might be a good idea. But if they don't have some sort of regulation like condominiums, then I don't think this will be a good investment.

May 10, 2018
As an example Condominium Law #5038 of 1958, I found on the Guzman website information about Condominium, but I could not find any information on gated communities. Does Gated Communities fall under Condomium Law #5038 of 1958?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As an example Condominium Law #5038 of 1958, I found on the Guzman website information about Condominium, but I could not find any information on gated communities. Does Gated Communities fall under Condomium Law #5038 of 1958?

I doubt very much that condos and gated communities are under the same laws. Condos, from what I have read but never experienced personally, have much more restrictive regulations. I have asked someone in our gated community what law applies. I know it was VERY cumbersome to form the association for our community.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First off, you have to accept that laws are subjectively enforced here. Some gated communities have a formal resident's association, others do not. Some are considered completely private others make use of public roads with a gate that can be removed at the whim of municipal officials.

Some communities have enforceable rules and fees, others are more of an informal community agreement style with no ability to enforce collection of monthly maintenance fees if a resident decides not to pay. There seems to be more informal communities than there are completely private and rigorously restricted communities.

To be a gated community all you need is a perimeter cattle fence and a gate. Not all gated communities are equal.

Example, Ocean Village. To get into that community and spend the day wandering around, all you have to say at the gate is, "I 'm going to the restaurant."

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You're best bet is to find a place you want to live, then review the regs (with lawyerly assistance) to see if you can live with those rules.

They are basically the same. With a condo your property line is in your exterior walls. Everything outside that line is Common Areas, and maintained by the Condo Association. You don't have rights to change anything outside those lines, and regs as to what you can do inside your apartment.

With a gated community for free standing homes, your property line is (usually) at the curb and side/rear yard lines. Everything beyond that line is Common Areas, and maintained by the Condo Association. You can do pretty much whatever you want inside your home, but what you can do in your yard is regulated.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
There seems to be many good things coming to the north coast, so making buying in one of these gated communities might be a good idea. But if they don't have some sort of regulation like condominiums, then I don't think this will be a good investment.

Even if they have some regulations like Condominiums in the country, you are still going to have problems. The Condominium law is antiquated from 1958 and can't deal with the monopoly corruption issues that exist in these Concorcio-Directivas and Administrators as well.