Booo to Anthony santos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now that the elections are near and the candidates are ever-so-desperate to win chopo vote, they are going into great lengths to one-up each other in the candidacy race.
Yesterday I was invited to attend a concert in a poor neighborhood of Santiago. The performer was No other than "super chopo" Anthony Santos (king of bachata music).
I had heard of his music but I didn't know how popular he was among the poor crowds of the ghettos. Sorry to use such harsh language but that?s the reality; the candidates spend more money at wining the poor people's vote than the rich?s. Since the poor are in majority, they do everything within their power to manipulate them towards voting for them. The political parties bring top musical acts to poor neighborhoods and entertain the masses for free. Some candidates even provide free shuttle bus service to the concert location so people can attend in larger mass.

Back to the concert:
There was a merengue act before the main event with 3 young guys dancing and singing to heat up the crowd for the upcoming act. The group was called "sin frontera". They were not so bad and kept the crowd alive until the candidates arrived. The candidate for the mayor's position came more than 1 hour late. Quite embarrassing to the entertainment crew who were kept cheering / rooting for the candidates who weren't even there yet. Kept pointing at empty seats.

We were fortunate enough to be seated in the VIP section with the candidates with top police security. The entertainers were also well guarded by policia nacional. However, these measures were lacking to Mr. Anthony Santo's taste. He came up on stage like a mega star but totally dressed in chopo gear. He was wearing a baggy jean pants with heavy-duty boots. A baseball cap, backwards with a white shirt and metal frame glasses. A full blown chopo to the bone. If that was not enough, he was accompanied by a bodyguard in bright red shirt and jeans with an Uzi in hand and a pistol tucked in his pants. Yes guys, a fully loaded Uzi. I mean, what the hell was he thinking about? Was he going to spray the bullets in to the crown in case of trouble?
So this was the scene: Anthony Santos singling among a thousand people on stage (uncle, cousins, friend and even a grand father looking guy). People just hanging around on the stage. There were just as many cameramen as musicians and even people with tiny video cameras to shoot a private video for their own personal collection. The body guard just standing with the performer, looking at him (instead of the suspicious looking people around him) and with his hand on the Uzi. What a view, he had topped all the chopos in choperia race.
Then the concert started without the singer singing a full sentence of a song. He was either too interested in pointing the mic towards the crowd to sing along with him or chanting the political party?s slogans. He even changed the wording of the songs to add candidates names and winning slogans in place of the actual lyrics. He would sing 2 words and then would say in spanish " come on sing along.... let me hear you sing....louder....lets vote for the PRD party on the 16th.... bla bla blah...". A total waste of time and not a single song was sung in its entirety. I would even go ahead to say that not a single lyric was sung in its entirety. He collected money for a BS performance. It felt like if the sound system was malfunctioning, as he would keep pointing the mic at the crown to have them sing along when he was supposed to be singing his own tunes. It was a total bullSh** experience and a total waste of time.
On my 5 thumbs up scale I give him 4 thumbs down.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Que paso?

I will agree with you that Anthony Santos is a SOB. After rising to fame a few years back with the help the Santiago and Cibao disk jockies. He has now totally turned his back on them. Since his first two albums, he has produced nothing worthwhile. It seems that fame and the small wealth he has amassed has gone to his head.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Barrio Votes

How do you think Bill Clinton got elected or better yet, Hugo Chavez? Didn't Santos and his people play at Hippo's innauguration party? Geez, now that I think of it, who elected Hippo?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
AZB

Its time to give up the fight. The chopos have won. This country has turned into an entire chopoland. There are no safe places to hide anymore. Chopos are now reaching middle class and upper middle class financial status. They are everywhere. They drive BMWs, Mercedes, watch flat 29" inch and up TVs, have internet(and you got to see their forum language!).

Just look at the politicians running for office. 100% of them are chopos. Even the most sophisticated ones like Leonel, Jose Tomas Perez, Johnny Jones, Neney Cabrera, and Peggy Cabral were either born-chopos or have turned into chopos. We even have a Haitian running for Mayor of Santo Domingo north.

The Acropolis, the latest refuge of "clean people" may be in danger soon. Plaza Central has been totally choposized. The garbage around PC is so bad you now have to walk on the streets. Peddlers are cooking rice and beans on the sidewalks of Piantini with no shirts on. I can't believe these people. They eat Yaniqueques that are fried with oil that is thicker than molasses and full of dust. They drink orange juice squeezed by Haitians who urinate in nearby parking lots, then take the oranges, wash them with dirty water the squeeze this juice with their penis-seasoned hands. What barbarians!!!!

Shoe salesmen wearing ties seat on the sidewalks eating moro de guandules with plastic forks right on Hatuey St.

Bachata is everywhere. It has even killed the mortally ill merengue, which rarely anyone listens to anymore. Merengue bands have to play concerts, gigs and private parties to survive. No one buys their records. Two or three of them sell a few, like To?o Rosario, Villalona and Eddy Herrera. But without the parties they would be broke. Tulile is the only one you hear. He is a creep. Soon enough bachata will aslo wear itself out. Too many people now getting into it. Dominican music is dead. There are no soloists who can get a recording contract.

Chopos are ready to kill our cities, music and traditions. It is over!!
Don't fight it anymore AZB. Might as well join them.

TW

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Bachata

I have my own opinion on the Bachata. I think it's international appeal has sprung from the numbers of Dominicans living abroad. My deducement goes like this:

1. Bachata is popular internationally.
2. Dominicans who live abroad want to be connected to their homeland.
3.Just as Dominicans have moved abroad, Dominicans have left the campos in great numbers for the capitol.
4) Those from the campo want to maintain their connection to the campo.

Thus, since the majority if people orignally migrated from the campos to the city, then some left the city to go abroad, the Bachata serves as a bridge between Dominicans and their origins.

I happen to really like the Bachata, most are meaningful or funny, and express personality. I even collect autographs of the Bachateros. They served (serve) an important purpose, the were the first artists to address the "common man" in songs like "Homenaje a los Borrachos" by Teodoro Reyes.

Regarding Chopos:
You can take the boy out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the boy.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Onions

I sold my pad!!! Three other properties are for sale. I have no intentions of paying any more property taxes to develop a nation of chopos. I will join them. I will not pay any services. No more Edejode or teletedecalabro. From now on is freebie time. Nadie me va a joder mas. A vivir del cuento. Que paguen los pendejos. It makes no difference, if its Santo Domingo or Monaco. Chopos are everywhere. They even took over the French elections en masse. Be it Africans, haitians or tigueres Dominicanos, they are everywhere...they are on Fifth Avenue. Se jodio esta vaina. Los malditos chopos nos salen hasta en la sopa. Our president is the first chopo.His entire cabinet is made up of chopos. His Secretary of Interior used to be a lowly typist for my father and made it to lieutenant, but was such loud mouth my father despised him and shipped him out. You go one by one, and the entire government is chopo.Chusma.Gente soez, groceros. Comecables.

TW

Mar 21, 2002
I agree so why don't you come to El Cibao

Join AZB y un servidor here in Santiago. A while back many cibaenos wanted to secede from SD and form their own nation. I'm all for it. I told you a while back how SD was falling by the wayside.

Anyways where in the DR are you deciding to reside?

On another note:

With the position my family has esp. gramps he has never paid or will ever pay for electricity,water,or property taxes.
I told him about your travails alongside MoomC and other DR regulars. I told him how you are all being swindled by Jodesur,INAPA, and every form of pseudo gov't agency. He found it funny that DR folk,ex-pats would try to apply normal conventions to a savage no-man's land.

This ain't Kansas, Dorothy. Gov't officials ain't tryin to solve your problems. They're trying to APPEAR helpful while in the back of their mind thinking on how to JODER this foreigner or ex-pat. They think they are owed something cuz your blonde,gringo, rich DR chopo or whatever.

I translated and faxed him the entire disastrous story of MoomC with INAPA. The advice he gave me to give here to all is to find a way to live FREE. It's good you have gotten the picture by now.

Pero me extrana paesano que tu siendo un dominicano habilidoso que te haya pasado todo esto.

He also told me that el vivo vive del bobo y el bobo de su trabajo.

Last edited:

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dear TW...

Your complains are justified.The chopos always
drag everything down to their level,because there
are so many of them and we live in the century of
democracy.

Walmart shoppers,McDonald clients,domino players,
Lexus drivers,TV watchers,Oprah fans,Country musicians,sex tourists...and the list goes on...

Hang in there man.

And before you commit suicide just go underground for a while.

Read A. Shopenhauer he sufferd from copotitis
some 200 years ago and wrote down some remidies.

X

MAYIMBA

Oct 18, 2005
Drake said:
I will agree with you that Anthony Santos is a SOB. After rising to fame a few years back with the help the Santiago and Cibao disk jockies. He has now totally turned his back on them. Since his first two albums, he has produced nothing worthwhile. It seems that fame and the small wealth he has amassed has gone to his head.
HEY QUE PASA

Status
Not open for further replies.