Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice Skating Now in Santo Domingo

If you thought ice skating in the outdoors was something you will never see in the DR, think again!

Until Jan 18, 2019 (closed on Dec 31) ice skating is possible at Plaza de España (the square in front of the Palace of Columbus -Alcázar de Colón-) in Santo Domingo’s Colonial Zone.

Yes, this is real.

No, this is not photoshop. lol

Nice place to take the kids and spend a memorable time (the memory could be of amazing skating under the palm trees OR of a lifetime memory of countless behinds hitting that ice like never before in the Dominican tropics, lol.

Grown up Dominican taking chances like a kid. I wanted to see how that ended. Doesn’t look too promising for him. lol

Smart Dominican kid. The polar bear is your friend. lol

Last edited by NALs; 12-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Polls Forum Moderator

2. Likes cobraboy, ctrob, Seamonkey, bigbird, Garyexpat liked this post
    Dislikes MiamiDRGuy disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a helmet or any elbow/knee pads to be seen. Wonder how many cracked skulls this endeavor will produce?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Those skates they're renting look like double runners.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

panem et circenses. or should i say: orizam et circenses.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    panem et circenses. or should i say: orizam et circenses.
    How soon will they build the indoor ski resort?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks NALS, one thing about la capital is if you can deal with the traffic there is always something different to do. Gonna have to get down there and check it out before the ice rink closes. Doubt I will rent the skates but will be nice to see.

Also something nice for the kids to do is the Summit Trampoline Park in Sambil Mall.

http://summittrampolinepark.com/santodomingo/

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Not a helmet or any elbow/knee pads to be seen. Wonder how many cracked skulls this endeavor will produce?
    I used to go ice skating all the time when I was a kid....nobody ever used any form of protection back then and we all had falls

9. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

How much lifetime skating skill development could a Dominican possibly have?

I rode a bicycle without a helmet for my entire childhood. I had one bad fall and smacked my head. I saw stars for a good 10 minutes. Definitely had a concision. Shrugged it off when the dizziness passed. Only happened once. My understanding, is it only takes on good whack to the head to cause permanent damage. I can't see many Dominicans skating in this country with more than an hour or two of experience - The risks of a bad fall are highest when learning to control yourself on ice and maintaining your balance.

Your fleshy butt should be fine, but elbows and heads... Risk vs reward is up to the individual to figure out.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to hockey and head whacking , I was pulled from contact sports at about 11 yrs old.
    No helmets

New studies on concussions say that numerous small ones are worse than 1 or 2 whoppers

I don't see double blades on these skates - nor helmets as Buster points out
    Padding might be an idea for the men
    the Dominicanas seem to be perfectly equipped to fall on their 'nargas'... haha

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Thanks NALS, one thing about la capital is if you can deal with the traffic there is always something different to do. Gonna have to get down there and check it out before the ice rink closes. Doubt I will rent the skates but will be nice to see.

Also something nice for the kids to do is the Summit Trampoline Park in Sambil Mall.

http://summittrampolinepark.com/santodomingo/
    Please check it out and post back here with pictures and prices if possible.
    The cost to put in the cooling system and run it for 30 days would likely be in the range of $150K to $200K so I suspect it may not be ice but plastic similar to the material used for cutting boards.
    I skated on a rink in Curacao built that way. Problem was it was right beside the beach and sand would blow or get tracked into the rink and ruin the edge on your blades.

mob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast