Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    How much lifetime skating skill development could a Dominican possibly have?

I rode a bicycle without a helmet for my entire childhood. I had one bad fall and smacked my head. I saw stars for a good 10 minutes. Definitely had a concision. Shrugged it off when the dizziness passed. Only happened once. My understanding, is it only takes on good whack to the head to cause permanent damage. I can't see many Dominicans skating in this country with more than an hour or two of experience - The risks of a bad fall are highest when learning to control yourself on ice and maintaining your balance.

Your fleshy butt should be fine, but elbows and heads... Risk vs reward is up to the individual to figure out.
    Ice skating or skating, period? Rollerblading/Rollerskating aren't novelties in the DR, for example. I recall as a youngster many years ago, when the Mirador Norte park first opened, I was in SD on summer vacation and had brought along a pair of rollerblades from the States, to my (pleasant) surprise, I came across many other kids at the park also rollerblading, much faster and much more skilled than I was. One of the earlier lessons I had in learning not to underestimate things in DR *shrugs*

2. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw this at the La Sirena on Churchill in 2008. Very funny to watch. Nobody could skate, but they were sure having fun.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    I saw this at the La Sirena on Churchill in 2008. Very funny to watch. Nobody could skate, but they were sure having fun.
    Was it real ice?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
    Was it real ice?
    I didn't touch it, but I didn't think it was. It was slippery enough, but it just didn't look, sound, or feel right.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So one day left before the rink closes. Have any of our intrepid DR1 SD residents gone for a skate?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We saw one of these "ice rinks" at a mall in SD last winter. They aren't actually ice, just sheets of plastic. As a former competitive figure skater, I skated on these plastic sheets once. It is extremely hard to skate on them. Basically, most are just walking around with the skates on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123