Ice Skating Now in Santo Domingo

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you thought ice skating in the outdoors was something you will never see in the DR, think again!

Until Jan 18, 2019 (closed on Dec 31) ice skating is possible at Plaza de España (the square in front of the Palace of Columbus -Alcázar de Colón-) in Santo Domingo’s Colonial Zone.

Yes, this is real.

No, this is not photoshop. lol

Nice place to take the kids and spend a memorable time (the memory could be of amazing skating under the palm trees OR of a lifetime memory of countless behinds hitting that ice like never before in the Dominican tropics, lol.

Grown up Dominican taking chances like a kid. I wanted to see how that ended. Doesn’t look too promising for him. lol
77458034-49-A3-4536-A572-3-FA7897-DBB33.jpg

40872-ECE-9-E3-E-4-E11-A12-F-04363-DC7-F3-A6.jpg

Smart Dominican kid. The polar bear is your friend. lol
259-E8061-BEB2-40-C4-A088-6-DB2-AE9-C1-ADB.jpg

6-F1674-FF-9722-458-D-B5-CD-752-CC943-DD67.jpg

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not a helmet or any elbow/knee pads to be seen. Wonder how many cracked skulls this endeavor will produce?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks NALS, one thing about la capital is if you can deal with the traffic there is always something different to do. Gonna have to get down there and check it out before the ice rink closes. Doubt I will rent the skates but will be nice to see.

Also something nice for the kids to do is the Summit Trampoline Park in Sambil Mall.

http://summittrampolinepark.com/santodomingo/

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Not a helmet or any elbow/knee pads to be seen. Wonder how many cracked skulls this endeavor will produce?

I used to go ice skating all the time when I was a kid....nobody ever used any form of protection back then and we all had falls

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
How much lifetime skating skill development could a Dominican possibly have?

I rode a bicycle without a helmet for my entire childhood. I had one bad fall and smacked my head. I saw stars for a good 10 minutes. Definitely had a concision. Shrugged it off when the dizziness passed. Only happened once. My understanding, is it only takes on good whack to the head to cause permanent damage. I can't see many Dominicans skating in this country with more than an hour or two of experience - The risks of a bad fall are highest when learning to control yourself on ice and maintaining your balance.

Your fleshy butt should be fine, but elbows and heads... Risk vs reward is up to the individual to figure out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks to hockey and head whacking , I was pulled from contact sports at about 11 yrs old.
No helmets

New studies on concussions say that numerous small ones are worse than 1 or 2 whoppers

I don't see double blades on these skates - nor helmets as Buster points out
Padding might be an idea for the men
the Dominicanas seem to be perfectly equipped to fall on their 'nargas'... haha

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks NALS, one thing about la capital is if you can deal with the traffic there is always something different to do. Gonna have to get down there and check it out before the ice rink closes. Doubt I will rent the skates but will be nice to see.

Also something nice for the kids to do is the Summit Trampoline Park in Sambil Mall.

http://summittrampolinepark.com/santodomingo/

Please check it out and post back here with pictures and prices if possible.
The cost to put in the cooling system and run it for 30 days would likely be in the range of $150K to $200K so I suspect it may not be ice but plastic similar to the material used for cutting boards.
I skated on a rink in Curacao built that way. Problem was it was right beside the beach and sand would blow or get tracked into the rink and ruin the edge on your blades.

:classic: mob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only went skating once back home, in july. seemed like a good idea at a time to sit on the back of a friend who skated down a grassy hill. and it would have worked if it wasn't for that unfortunate slip about half way when i got smacked in the head with the side of the blade into yet another concussion. as a bonus my mom whopped by ass before taking me to the emergency. it was that time when my mother bitterly announced to the doctors that she had more xrays of my head that the photos of my face. good times.

10/10 i would recommend to send your family skating in ZC. there are lessons to be learnt through this activity.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think this is the same stuff they've had in Malls over the years. No idea what it is but I'm pretty sure it's not ice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Doing anything in an environment where water can freeze is not a good idea.

One of my rules of living.

I wanna be where it's warm.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mods, if you are going to merge two threads you really should do a spell check on the title you choose!!!!

:classic: mob

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I started figure skating lessons at age 3 and coached until I was 18. Kids under 15 were required to wear hockey helmets at all times while on the ice. I would recommend taking bicycle helmets along for kids, they would be better than nothing.