VPN Services

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...u12rDjmWpBzj2jH_Hlqo4ozwHAZNmduRoCIl0QAvD_BwE

$3.33 a month with a one year subscription. I will put this one up against any. Does not slow down your surfing one bit. And IP's all over the World.

I had this but cancelled after a year - as soon as I could get out of it, bad customer service, their Android app had serious problem - disconnected without telling you, and no BBC iPlayer.... YMMV.

Now I have ExpressVPN, a lot better and online chat customer service 24/7. Although I still use a different Android app than their proprietary one but all in all a better service from my experience. More expensive though....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have never had a problem with PIA. And the android app worked flawlessly. Have had it for 3 or 4 years now.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Maybe they have fixed it, try this, on 3G/4G, switch off your Data, then switch it back on or connect to WiFi instead (or if on WiFi switch off and connect to 3G/4G etc.), then check your Whatismyip.com , I found there was some problems in these scenarios....

shaneomac

Jan 1, 2019
What does no iPlayer mean? You just have to log onto the app or connect to the VPN manually and then run iplayer app or your browser and then open the iplayer page on BBC's site. If the VPN app is connected in the bg, you should be able to access iplayer. I've done it with most of the services i've used from HMA, to Ivacy to Express. Haven't tried PIA for this specific purpose but I have used it in the past.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
What does no iPlayer mean? You just have to log onto the app or connect to the VPN manually and then run iplayer app or your browser and then open the iplayer page on BBC's site. If the VPN app is connected in the bg, you should be able to access iplayer. I've done it with most of the services i've used from HMA, to Ivacy to Express. Haven't tried PIA for this specific purpose but I have used it in the past.

Some VPNs use certain IP addresses for a long time, these IP addresses are then blocked by big companies, like BBC, Netflix, Amazon etc.

It's a constant cat and mouse game, the content providers monitor how many connections they receive from a certain IP and if too many they block it. Those VPN companies, that care about this, change their IP frequently or put few people on one IP address, this way their IP is not blocked.

PIA does not do this for BBC, so their IP is blocked by BBC (it did work before when I joined 2 or so years ago) - I have called them and emailed them and discuss it with them, they said they do not guarantee such access to providers and it is not in their terms and conditions.

Note that VPN is not only used for this purpose (there are many other reasons to use it), hence it is not in their T&C and they are not obliged to help or do anything about it - those that work today, may also not work tomorrow. In the mean time they make their money by getting their subscription upfront and for a year or more and lock you in.... Do you see how different their monthly and annual offers are !

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Gaming companies are now considering VPN as a 3d party app, and hence is a ban-able offense. ( when in reality we use VPN to minimize the number of nodes (?) necessary to connect to a server-------- as opposed to using 3d party apps to hack ).
Why is that important ? Well it tells us they have new ways to know if a user is using a VPN.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Netflix and Amazon have gotten wise to Hide My Ass. However Express VPN appears to still be working, for the time being anyway.......

Feb 7, 2007
I use Ironsocket and I am very satisfied with it. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon work fine ,because they have SmartDNS which is based on IPv6, giving them trillions of possible IP addresses in the pool... They also offer HTTP and Socks Proxy, as well as worldwide list of VPN servers. All for a low annual price.

You can have multiple (3) different IP addresses connected (e.g. Home, Work, parents) and additional access IP's can be added at small fee. U limited number of devices from each IP (when using Smart DNS or Web Proxy), for VPN it's 3 devices with the username.

They work with Dynamic hostname using Dyn DNS services such as DynDNS and NoIP so if your home router or modem supports this (most modern do) you can have your IP autoupdate within seconds. I use NoIP, which she s free account that allows monitoring of 3 different IP addresses (3 dynamic hostnames). NoIP works well with TP Link and Huawei routers and modems, for example, and also has an autoupdate PC client in case you router does not support Dynamic DNS hostname services.

Please enter referral code 95233685 if and when you sign up your Ironsocket account (where it says Click here if you were given an account referral code) as a what to say thank you for the promo code 2018SPOOKY (act fast this is a new year's promo).

Your total price will be just under 25 dollars per year for all the above mentioned services (worldwide VPN, SmartDNS and web Proxy). I have been using them for 3 years now.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Depending on what you use a vpn for, then where it is based is really what matters the most.

If you want a vpn to browse the net " privately " you DO NOT want a US based vpn company ( or in any 5 or 14 eyes, for that matter ).
You only have your vpn's word that they do not store your logs...... and that has been proven false many times, as they just handed over the info demanded by the NSA.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Late to the thread. I use www.hide.me Other than taking a few moments to connect at times, seems to work very well. They have free and premium.
You choose the country you want to appear to be.