Planning Trip From Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata

jwells616

Nov 26, 2018
I am coming back to the DR next week with a one way ticket and alot of time. I have been there a few times but want to see parts that I have not yet visited.I am landing in SDQ and staying a few days in the colonial zone. I plan on seeing Los Tres Ojos ,botanical Gardens,El Faro Colon, Plaza Espana. Eat on the malecon and have a few beers. I also am planning to see a baseball game ,if tickets are available. Can you buy them at the stadium?
From there I am going to Boca Chica for 1 night to find an old friend. After that the adventure begins.I plan on going back to the airport to rent a car and drive the south coast to Punta Cana. Everyone I know here in upstate New York that goes to the DR ,goes to Punta Cana.I would like to see it once. after that I am not sure where to go. I wanted to see Isla Sanoa ,altos de Chavon, so i would stay in Bayahibe or La Romana.Then on to Punta Cana.
I am going to Las Terranenas,Las Galeras, Samana. I have been there 3 or 4 times.Is it worth it to drive from Punta Cana up the coast to sabana Del Mar?It seems like you have to drive all the way back to Hato Mayor to catch the highway up towards Sanchez. 4 hours of probably not good driving. Can you go through El puerto and Bayaguana to get to the highway?Is it worth it to continue north to Miches and Sabana del Mar?
After that i am pretty familiar with what to do and where to go. I am staying for 3 weeks in puerto plata area.
I guedss the big question was driving from Boca chica to punta Cana then north to miches then back south to go north again. Is it worth it to go north of Punta Cana?Can you drive through Los Haitises from las canas to sanchez?
I am going to see some nice beaches up north. Is Isla Sanoa worth it?Am I missing any good attactions?
Thank you for your help.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I am coming back to the DR next week with a one way ticket and alot of time. I have been there a few times but want to see parts that I have not yet visited.I am landing in SDQ and staying a few days in the colonial zone. I plan on seeing Los Tres Ojos ,botanical Gardens,El Faro Colon, Plaza Espana. Eat on the malecon and have a few beers. I also am planning to see a baseball game ,if tickets are available. Can you buy them at the stadium?
From there I am going to Boca Chica for 1 night to find an old friend. After that the adventure begins.I plan on going back to the airport to rent a car and drive the south coast to Punta Cana. Everyone I know here in upstate New York that goes to the DR ,goes to Punta Cana.I would like to see it once. after that I am not sure where to go. I wanted to see Isla Sanoa ,altos de Chavon, so i would stay in Bayahibe or La Romana.Then on to Punta Cana.
I am going to Las Terranenas,Las Galeras, Samana. I have been there 3 or 4 times.Is it worth it to drive from Punta Cana up the coast to sabana Del Mar?It seems like you have to drive all the way back to Hato Mayor to catch the highway up towards Sanchez. 4 hours of probably not good driving. Can you go through El puerto and Bayaguana to get to the highway?Is it worth it to continue north to Miches and Sabana del Mar?
After that i am pretty familiar with what to do and where to go. I am staying for 3 weeks in puerto plata area.
I guedss the big question was driving from Boca chica to punta Cana then north to miches then back south to go north again. Is it worth it to go north of Punta Cana?Can you drive through Los Haitises from las canas to sanchez?
I am going to see some nice beaches up north. Is Isla Sanoa worth it?Am I missing any good attactions?
Thank you for your help.

The road to El Puerto to Connect with Bayaguana from Hato Mayor is not in very good conditions so you should take the longer way, Once you are in Miches take the road to El Seibo then Hato Mayor and then to the Highway, unless you plan also to visit Sabana de La Mar.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Wouldn't it be less expensive to pick up a rental in Santo Domingo and start from there?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I just thought that if the OP is spending the first part of the trip in SD it might be less expensive to drive from there to BC and then onward. Then again there is the return trip. If not returning to SD, but rather directly to SDQ, that might change the equation.

jwells616

Nov 26, 2018
That’s sensible.....

We may never know....could be a POP departure....??
I am afraid to drive through SD. I figured why rent a car to drive to the colonial zone and pay to park for 3 days. I figured I could go back to the airport from Boca Chica easilyGet on the highway and head east. I am flying back to NY from POP

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I can't blame you at all for being in fear of driving through SD! Have a great trip!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, avoid SD

Boca Chica and the airport are close
The road trip from there involves backtracking...no way around it

Have a good road trip

It’s a beautiful drive

SocialZealot

Jan 11, 2012
www.socialzealot.com
You could depart from Puerto Plata. Just check the flights because there options are a little more sparse as compared to Santo Domingo and Santiago. Santiago is only about 2 hours away, so maybe head to POP and keep the option to fly out f STI in case it is more reasonable.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Sabana del mar really isn't worth the drive to get to. If you're already on the samana peninsula it's worth it to take the boat across for a quick day trip. Otherwise, boring, hot, flat. Unless of course you're doing a las haitises journey. Then it's worth it.