Punta Canta or Bayahibe? Which has better beaches?

Denise

May 12, 2002
Hi all,
I posted yesterday and got a bunch of great replies. I have another question for you. In your opinion, which beaches are better, Punta Cana or Bayahibe? My definition of a great beach is NO SEAWEED (as you all know from my post yesterday I have a seaweed phobia). I don't really care about the surf; in fact I prefer calm water. Some waves are fine, even big waves are fine as long as there is no seaweed. Now, I know it depends on the weather, storms, etc but as we all know, there are some beaches that always have seaweed. I am from Massachusetts and here at Revere beach, it is NASTY.
Also, ion terms of hotels, which hotels would you recommend? If we go to Punta Cana, our travel agent suggests Melia Caribe Tropical. Is this a good one? Good beach?
Please post back with your experiences.
Thanks!
Denise

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
The best hotel is...

Barcelo Bavaro Palace. The location, situation, and beach are among the finest in Punta Cana. The price is lower than Hacienda dominicus for sure but IHD is brand new. Your choice.

soul man

Jan 31, 2002
I stayed at the Bavaro Palace two years ago. The resort is very deluxe, food, service, facilities, etc. And the beach is the best that I've seen in all of the Caribbean. There is no seaweed at all, calm , clear blue water. The waves break far out from the shore, providing a beautiful bay to bathe in - even far out the water reaches perhaps only to your lower chest. You do not step back and find that you've dropped into deep water.

I can't speak highly enough about this magnificent beach!!!

My small problem however, is that I like a resort that's bit livelier, not quite as relaxed, more active singles. I'm considering staying at the Occidental Flamenco when I return in June. I understand that it's active and a five minute walk to Plaza Bavaro. Also I want a beach as beautiful as that at the Barvaro Palace.
But from what I'm reading, there beach does have seaweed, and the surg is a bit rough.
Please - can someone tell me the condition of the water at the Flamenco?

Also, regarding the Bavaro Palace, few of the rooms are directly facing the sea. I suggest the Bavaro Beach - in the samre complex - if you require an oceanfront room. The rate is lower, but you are given access to slightly fewer restaurants. They're all good though.

Thanks,
SM

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Seaweed

Denise,

The beaches at Bayahibe and Punta Cana (Bavaro) are great in any respect. The beaches are groomed in the morning of each day of seaweed that may have washed up overnight.

I understand from your post you have a phobia about seaweed. I am aware of the seaweed along the MA Northshore and it is like night and day comparing it to the type in the Bavaro and Bayahibe beach areas. Now matter where you go where there is water present you are going to find some amount of seaweed. It is a matter of what is acceptable to you. The Northshore weed is long, brownish yellow, found in huge clumps, feels yucky to the touch and is found in large amounts in most rocky areas and when separated from their anchors will wash towards the beaches. The weed found the the Dominican waters is small, in very short lengths, has the look and consistancy of shredded newspaper, is not yucky, and is found in very small amounts if seen at all in the beachfront waters. The amount of seaweed in Bavaro waters would be like that in a childs wading pool had someone pinched some blades of grass from the lawn and placed them in it. Get the picture?

The Melia Caribe and Tropical are good choices and there is a great beach (Bavaro). Regards, PJT :}