Mobile Broadband

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
My Wife is visiting her parents for the Month of February 2019. They live in Santo Domingo. They have no Broadband in their home. How can we stay in touch constantly using face time with Her iPhone 7 Plus and my IPad Pro. What is the best system we can use for the Month and what is the cost? Her ‘Phone is unlocked.

Last edited:

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
If she can get internet you can talk thru Apples FaceTime on her phone and your iPad.. if you only use audio she won't use a lot of her wifi. audio and video can use more wifi.
She needs to go to a Claro or Altice office but first I suggest she talks to people who live near her parents. they will advise her how to get internet input.
sorry, i can't comment on cost.

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
If she can get internet you can talk thru Apples FaceTime on her phone and your iPad.. if you only use audio she won't use a lot of her wifi. audio and video can use more wifi.
She needs to go to a Claro or Altice office but first I suggest she talks to people who live near her parents. they will advise her how to get internet input.
sorry, i can't comment on cost.

It is the internet we are asking about. MOBILE BROADBAND. We know exactly how FaceTime works.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Just buy SIM card for her phone with data then you can hotspot to iPad from phone about 800 to 1500 peso for month depending how much data you want , or use whatsapp on cell video calls .

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Buy a 3G or LTE puck from Claro and charge it for as many months as you like...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Is there any internet service at the parent's house already?

If yes - parents can inquire about increasing service speed for the time period needed.

If no - For the limited time period in this case, it's not worth and probably not possible to get a hardwired solution. All major cell companies offer cellular based data packages at various speeds. Some options will require the purchase/rental of additional equipment. You should be able to browse these options and their cost on the websites for Claro, Altice & Viva before your wife arrives. Cellphone only data options will require a new sim card to be issued. This means that the phone needs to unlocked so that a different sim can be used and it helps if the phone supports the 3G/LTE frequencies used by the carrier you choose. Otherwise, you'll need to go with a separate "internet data box" option that provides wifi that the phone can then connect to.

Check with the parents to see if they have any knowledge of which company's cell signal is strongest at the house. If you opt to use extra equipment to connect to the carriers internet, change the default security options or your prepaid account credit will evaporate before your eyes as everyone within range discovers your new "free" access point.

Basically, figure out how fast you need the connection to be, in all likelihood you be using a cellular network option. Determine how much it will cost, go to the carrier of your choice with a passport/cedula, plunk down the money and you're good to go until you use up your prepaid data credit, then purchase more.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
My Wife is visiting her parents for the Month of February 2019. They live in Santo Domingo. They have no Broadband in their home. How can we stay in touch constantly using face time with Her iPhone 7 Plus and my IPad Pro. What is the best system we can use for the Month and what is the cost? Her ‘Phone is unlocked.

The most simple solution for this (works best as a temporary solution) would be to get a prepaid sim card locally (this is a matter of opinion, but Claro might have the best coverage, although not the best pricing), cost the last time I purchased one was 100 pesos, and then activate a mobile data package on it. There are various packages avaibable, all of which you can select either via Claro App or dialing *112# and then following the menus. If you want to use the mobile connection in other than the same mobile phone, activate hotspot. Cost depends on the package, but you get full control as everything is prepaid, and "unlimited" options (not really unlimited, though) are available.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Check with your current provider first because they could have a decent travel package. If I go through mine, I have to pay for a month, get limited data, and it's not really worth it. With an unlocked phone, just buy a DR Sim card. You can top up online if you go prepaid rather than a plan. Just make sure that you add a little money(100 pesos) to it every so often(check with the provider on this) or you lose the Dominican number.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Claro sells an LTE mifi device. You may have to go to one of the main offices to get it. You'll get full-speed LTE (I've gotten 30+meg speed on in ZC) and should still be able to put a prepaid SIM into it.