Chicharrón de Cerdo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Let's just say..............

I changed my mind about this post but does anyone in SD eat them and where do you buy the best from? I have a couple of spots but always willing to hear new info.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Let's just say..............

I changed my mind about this post but does anyone in SD eat them and where do you buy the best from? I have a couple of spots but always willing to hear new info.

Hit Jumbo Luperon around 10-11 in the morning and go to the deli. Can't miss it. They do a pig every week.

They also do a giant paella every Sunday too. Goes pretty fast.

I try to avoid the area because all of my money gets sucked out of my pocket - mysteriously against my will.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There is a place, Rico Chicharron, in SD on Calle Jose Gabriel Garcia #603 just before you get to Parque Eugenio Maria De Hostos. They make about 400lbs. daily. It's the best I've had here so far. It's 300 pesos/lb.

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
Chicharone light... there is one close to Sirena.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There is a place, Rico Chicharron, in SD on Calle Jose Gabriel Garcia #603 just before you get to Parque Eugenio Maria De Hostos. They make about 400lbs. daily. It's the best I've had here so far. It's 300 pesos/lb.

Thanks, I will be in the area tomorrow and will see if I can find this spot. In the past I have always gone to Lechonera Mota on callle pina just below parque independencia. Their's are good but I wouldn't say the best so willing to try somewhere new.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
is this really what people come to the dr for

The posters in this thread actually live in DR, they’re not on vacation. :)

As an aside, chiccharones call my name whenever I drive anywhere near where they are sold. I know I’ll be sick later, too greasy for my stomach, but I can’t help myself. I try to eat them with cassava, to absorb some of the fat. Actually helps occasionally.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I'm guessing from his handle that he comes for the rutting season.

Be safe Roody!

Some come for the Chicharron...
and others come for Super Bowl Sunday only .. a different kind of Pig skin party ... lmao

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Found it! :)

vxyyjo.jpg

dttv6.jpg

Definitely a two greasy thumbs UP. What makes the location so great you are just 100 meters from Clinica Abreu just in case your arteries get all clogged up from munching down and that flavorful greasy pork belly fat. Man they was good. You can buy your meal and walk right across the street to Jersey Drinks to buy a cold one. Cross the street and sit in the park or walk a block to the malecon and have your meal.

Thanks.................

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The posters in this thread actually live in DR, they’re not on vacation. :)

As an aside, chiccharones call my name whenever I drive anywhere near where they are sold. I know I’ll be sick later, too greasy for my stomach, but I can’t help myself. I try to eat them with cassava, to absorb some of the fat. Actually helps occasionally.

I'm really going to ruin it for you now.

There's a guy in front of the CCN warehouse next to Jumbo Luperon who make empanadas de yucca.. He's easy to spot because of the accumulation of folks around him waiting to buy one.

I try to look the other way when I drive by because........ well you know why because... lol

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm really going to ruin it for you now.

There's a guy in front of the CCN warehouse next to Jumbo Luperon who make empanadas de yucca.. He's easy to spot because of the accumulation of folks around him waiting to buy one.

I try to look the other way when I drive by because........ well you know why because... lol

JD you ain't making it easy .............. I think time for another day trip.......

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chancho Gusto

Here is another spot about a three minute walk from Bravo Supermarket on Winston Churchill.

https://www.facebook.com/chanchogustord/photos/

Very nice place for dining in. There are tables inside and tables in a small garden area. The chicharrons are very good. I give them a thumb and a half up. I am kind of partial to the chicharrons with that hunk of fat attached that makes you feel guilty eating them. These are more for the health conscious as not a single piece had that greasy fat attached. Also loses a little in the rating as the price is 350 pesos a pound where the average is 300. I guess the higher price because this is a really nice restaurant to eat in and not a greasy spoon shack.

ac6cd2.jpg

huoizk.jpg

2eplf1u.jpg

1zq9eme.jpg

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

Boy that's expensive for the DR. I buy it in the US for just a little more than that. They must be charging you gringo prices.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Boy that's expensive for the DR. I buy it in the US for just a little more than that. They must be charging you gringo prices.

I’m pretty sure we pay 250 a pound from the highway vendors on Duarte and on the SD-Baní hwy in San Cristobal. And Mr AE is not a gringo. So 300 in a restaurant sounds like an okay price to me.

Plus I think 2dlight is Dominican too.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I’m pretty sure we pay 250 a pound from the highway vendors on Duarte and on the SD-Baní hwy in San Cristobal. And Mr AE is not a gringo. So 300 in a restaurant sounds like an okay price to me.

Plus I think 2dlight is Dominican too.

Everything pork here is a little on the high side.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I just wanted to say this is an Awesome Food thread .. and I'm taking Notes ..